Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with what is involved in obtaining a food vending permit in Horry county? Is it as difficult and expensive as it appears to be? After internet research, some phone calls, and a trip to Surfside Town Hall I am more confused then ever about the entire process. We were hoping to get a pig roaster and find a place to set it up, but it doesn't seem possible. Before tossing in the towel I wanted to see if anyone has any information on the subject.

From what I gather from the county, even if you found somewhere to set up a roaster you would still need a physical business location (not that you are restricted to setting it up there, but since you can't cater out of your house in this county you would need a commercial kitchen to house and prep your food). On top of that, the town of Surfside told us you can't even do food vending in the town. When we pointed out they have vendors at all their events they did concede there was an exception for that, but that the permit to do so is $500 a pop. Unless we were selling gold napkins to go along with the sandwiches that scenario would have red ink all over it.

Anyone know if it is as hopeless as it appears? Is it the same in Georgetown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Is it the same in Georgetown?
Hey Neecie - Come on down to Georgetown County, so I won't have to drive so far.

Georgetown County has tried on several occasions recently to address this issue, particularly in the PI/MI areas, and I'm not sure exactly where it stands. We routinely have shrimp vendors (raw- not cooked) and hot dog vendors set up alongside the road, but there have been some seriously mis-guided folks harrassing their council representative to "clean up" this situation. I'll avoid any more comments on those folks and their family history.

I suggest calling G'town County Zoning at 545-3602, to see what they have to say. On most issues, I've been pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of our county administrators. Not sure if this helps any or not: Vendor Permits (http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/zoning/docs/vendorpermit11-3-2009.pdf - broken link)

Fast-track it, I'm hungry!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks PD for the terrific information! We looked over the link you posted for vendor permits and it does seem that maybe there is hope after all. Georgetown looks to have fewer hoops to jump through than Horry county and the cost of a permit is incredibly reasonable. We are going to call Georgetown County Zoning tomorrow. If all goes well, lunch is on me!

Quote:
...but there have been some seriously mis-guided folks harrassing their council representative to "clean up" this situation. I'll avoid any more comments on those folks and their family history.
What? They must be hanging out with the folks from Surfside Beach, or have a similar lineage. Maybe you should have a chat with them and point those poor misguided folks in the right direction ... North on I95 might be a good start.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,329 times
PawleysDude and neecewh, I'm in the same boat. Want to open a cupcake mobile. I'm not getting any help from anyone. I live in Surfside Beach, S.C. What licenses, what permits, where to get them? I'm at a total loss. Can anyone help?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksongrandma View Post
PawleysDude and neecewh, I'm in the same boat. Want to open a cupcake mobile. I'm not getting any help from anyone. I live in Surfside Beach, S.C. What licenses, what permits, where to get them? I'm at a total loss. Can anyone help?
If you live in Horry County you will have to have a physical location for your mobile business. Although the SC DHEC leaves it up to local zoning official as to whether or not you can have a home based business, Surfside Beach does not allow you to do so (and from what I have found, you can't do it anywhere else in Horry County either). If you have a physical location with a commercial kitchen then you would be required to have a food service permit and follow all the same licenses and permits as a regular restaurant.

If you lived about 10 minutes south of Surfside it would not be an issue. Georgetown does allow mobile units, but unless you reside there you would still be subject to Horry Counties "no home based food business" regulations. If it weren't for that, the smell of barbeque would have made its way to PD's house by now.

Last edited by neecewh; 05-21-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
...If it weren't for that, the smell of barbeque would have made its way to PD's house by now.
You're breakin' my heart, neecie. I've been waitin' for the word you were up and cooking.

As much as folks want and need work, and as much as the state needs tax revenue, it's amazing the number of roadblocks thrown up in front of entrepreneurs.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
You see if they allowed people to do what you want to do it would hurt the business folks already there and paying big overhead to stay. Sounds like you just want to make a quick profit and run...

Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You see if they allowed people to do what you want to do it would hurt the business folks already there and paying big overhead to stay. Sounds like you just want to make a quick profit and run...
Geez Nativechief! Do you ever come in here and NOT Pi$$ someone off? What makes roasting a pig on the side of the road any less of a legitimate business than one that has a front door and tables? And, if I don't need the front door and tables to do it, why should have have to pay for them?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Geez Nativechief! Do you ever come in here and NOT Pi$$ someone off? What makes roasting a pig on the side of the road any less of a legitimate business than one that has a front door and tables? And, if I don't need the front door and tables to do it, why should have have to pay for them?
Im not trying to make him mad but if they allow one person to set up a road side stand they then open the door to everyone selling hot dogs to nasty tacos. How would you like to have half a million invested in a burger shack only to see some guy with a cook stove and paper plates selling "cheap "BBQ" on the sidewalk outside your door........Hell they may even want to come in and wash up using your bathroom if you let them. Like I said its a "grab the quick money and run"

Last edited by Nativechief; 05-24-2011 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM

I had to have an extra cup of coffee this morning just to try to figure out if you were being serious, and I still can not be sure.

So your argument is that because someone may buy a bbq sandwich from me instead of a burger from the guy that pays more to rent a building (instead of just a piece of land) I should be banned from doing so? So you are telling me you do not believe in competition or free enterprise?

So, I would have to assume you do not think we should have vegetable stands or ice cream trucks, since the grocery store would sell similar items and they pay more rent. While we are at it we should outlaw home nursing care for the elderly because after all we do have nursing homes who pay good money for those buildings. And, for heaven sakes, don't offer Johnny next door any money to mow your law when we have landscaping companies who have invested lots of dollars in their companies.

Maybe it would be helpful if I posted the definition of free enterprise for you. I just picked the first two I came across.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area