Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times

Advertisements

In view of the recent discussion, I found it interesting that Georgetown County Council is close to approving 24 vendor spaces on private business properties along the Murrells Inlet MarshWalk. <News Story> The local bricks-and-mortar businesses only had one complaint - they wanted more vendor spaces.

It's worth pointing out that the online version left out a few details. The permits will be obtained by the existing businesses, who will then control who uses those spaces. I assume the businesses will collect "rent" from the vendors, but that was not clear from the article. There was also no mention of whether food vendors would be permitted. My guess is that the property owners will be very careful about letting in anyone selling food, other than perhaps ice cream, etc ? Should be interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times
Interesting I will be anxious to hear what type of vendors will be going in there. I agree, I can't imagine any of them allowing any food that would take away from their restaurants. Although if they get a piece of the pie (on top of rent), and their restaurant keeps a packed house all the time anyway, it would not necessarily be to their disadvantage. Give us space outside one with a big bar and we would promise not to sell anyone a beverages.

It seems that Georgetown is more open to attracting business, as opposed to the "repelling system" that they have perfected so well here in Surfside.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
In view of the recent discussion, I found it interesting that Georgetown County Council is close to approving 24 vendor spaces on private business properties along the Murrells Inlet MarshWalk. <News Story> The local bricks-and-mortar businesses only had one complaint - they wanted more vendor spaces.

It's worth pointing out that the online version left out a few details. The permits will be obtained by the existing businesses, who will then control who uses those spaces. I assume the businesses will collect "rent" from the vendors, but that was not clear from the article. There was also no mention of whether food vendors would be permitted. My guess is that the property owners will be very careful about letting in anyone selling food, other than perhaps ice cream, etc ? Should be interesting...
I'm going to bet my next five paychecks that the vendor licenses will go to....the restaurants that own the land!!

They want the vendor licenses to sell foodstuffs and beer along the Marshwalk. They will certainly not sell a vendor license to a food vendor selling $5 hamburgers that will keep a family from spending $75 at Divine Fish House.

Besides, only about three families own all of that land. Jack Divine has from the start at Bovines all the way to the end of Divine Fish House and the other ones are owned by a couple of other families. They singularly spent all the money making the Marshwalk what it is today.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Interesting I will be anxious to hear what type of vendors will be going in there. I agree, I can't imagine any of them allowing any food that would take away from their restaurants. Although if they get a piece of the pie (on top of rent), and their restaurant keeps a packed house all the time anyway, it would not necessarily be to their disadvantage. Give us space outside one with a big bar and we would promise not to sell anyone a beverages.

It seems that Georgetown is more open to attracting business, as opposed to the "repelling system" that they have perfected so well here in Surfside.
neecewh, I was running up through Murrells Inlet this morning and I noticed a pretty busy hot dog truck on the opposite side of the marsh called Big Os Dogs or something similar. There were picnic tables and umbrellas set up on the site so it looks like they may own the land. Also, Creek Ratz had a food truck there as well.

I would be that he'd love to have another food truck for the simple reason that more variety will bring more people out to eat. At 10:30 this morning he had a few people out there eating.

I would at least go talk to him.

Thought of you while I was running by him. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times
Thanks for the information blueherons, I appreciate it! We will check that out.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 15,329 times
I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. Surfside Beach, no way, no mobile vending trucks at all. Myrtle Beach, same thing. They told me even if I had a storefront, couldn't sell to anyone on the street. I could deliver cupcakes to an office, etc., but no one could walk up to the truck to buy. Went to Georgetown last week and asked about vending there. Spoke to a very nice woman at the counter. If you can find a commercial property, find out who owns the property, get their permission to sell there, then go back to Georgetown govt. and tell them, they'll check it out, then you'll be able to sell. I was told that most of the property on 17 is the best place to check. What? It looked like all trees to me. What commercial property? Okay, I'm stuck.
Went to the Sun Fun Festival, saw plenty of vendors there. How did they do it? I was planning on buying a new truck, having it converted into a vending truck, oven, air-conditioning, etc., strolling the streets of Myrtle Beach, golf courses, etc. If I wanted to open a strip club, bar, etc., it would be okay, but no way to cupcakes.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
There are many commercial properties along Hwy 17 in Gtown County. All through Pawleys island, Litchfield & Murrells Inlet. You will see veggie & fruit vendors, hot dog stands, and there was an "Irish Ice" truck for a couple of years, too.

What's the deal with ice cream trucks? There's one that rides through my neighborhood playing Christmas music all the time. How are they licensed?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksongrandma View Post
I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. Surfside Beach, no way, no mobile vending trucks at all. Myrtle Beach, same thing. They told me even if I had a storefront, couldn't sell to anyone on the street. I could deliver cupcakes to an office, etc., but no one could walk up to the truck to buy. Went to Georgetown last week and asked about vending there. Spoke to a very nice woman at the counter. If you can find a commercial property, find out who owns the property, get their permission to sell there, then go back to Georgetown govt. and tell them, they'll check it out, then you'll be able to sell. I was told that most of the property on 17 is the best place to check. What? It looked like all trees to me. What commercial property? Okay, I'm stuck.
Went to the Sun Fun Festival, saw plenty of vendors there. How did they do it? I was planning on buying a new truck, having it converted into a vending truck, oven, air-conditioning, etc., strolling the streets of Myrtle Beach, golf courses, etc. If I wanted to open a strip club, bar, etc., it would be okay, but no way to cupcakes.
All of Murrells Inlet is Georgetown County. Most all of Murrells Inlet is commercial property.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,017 times
My husband and I started checking on the legalities of opening a food truck in Horry county in Sept 2010... We currently live in Las Vegas, but are from there! This is a BOOMING biz here, & were excited to take it home... According to Horry Co... We could "Legally" have a food truck there, but there is NO WAY we could make and money doing it! For example, we could not be in one location for more than say 10 minutes... Really?!? If we were, we would get fined... So full circle, it seemed the only ones profiting from this would be the county!
It just saddens me to see people try so hard to better themselves there, but all the odds are stacked against them, with the legal rights the county lays against them! It's no wonder businesses never survive there, and the unemployment rate is what it is!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 9,471 times
well this is what im doing with my food truck. im myrtle you cant stop more than 10 mins. thats right only 10 mins. but im gonna set up at myrtle market 3 days a week and use fb and twitter to let everyone know what im gonna sell for the day. well mb and surrounding towns just dont have laws yet cause there has not been any gormet food truck in this area,so we will have to go and re write the laws. sounds hard and it will be but just like tattoos, it takes time. you can only tattoo in industrial area and im cool with selling food in that area. just saying dont give up lets get a federation going and we can all make $$$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area