Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointspub View Post
well this is what im doing with my food truck. im myrtle you cant stop more than 10 mins. thats right only 10 mins. but im gonna set up at myrtle market 3 days a week and use fb and twitter to let everyone know what im gonna sell for the day. well mb and surrounding towns just dont have laws yet cause there has not been any gormet food truck in this area,so we will have to go and re write the laws. sounds hard and it will be but just like tattoos, it takes time. you can only tattoo in industrial area and im cool with selling food in that area. just saying dont give up lets get a federation going and we can all make $$$$.

I am also interested in a mobile food business in the Little River area. What if you are parked in the parking lot of an established business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Default help??

Ima foodtruck dreamer also. In gt county do you still have to have a restaurant sponser? What are the requirements for gt or horry on that. Is there any way around that?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 AM

9 posts, read 16,766 times
I am getting ready to do a lunch truck in Conway and myrtle beach I got a great plan and route setup now just got to pickup my truck body and get it installed

Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Ok I am at this time been in front of Horry County Counsel and just went to an R I meeting. I am trying to get a business license for food trucks. Yes the self contained as well as for my vending truck (they also go by the name roach coach) I am a firm believer that there is room for everyone. Also like one person said if a hot dog cart is a danger to their business maybe that owner should reconsider his business plan. Mobile food has been around for a long time. I myself am a serve safe Manager as well as a Instructor and Procter I can guarantee that any food coming off my truck is within all the guide lines for safety People there are no jobs out there. These small vendors are trying to make a living to feed their family's I do know that planning and zoning is looking into the price of the license maybe a little too high. My suggestions to the brick and mortar restuarants is embrace these little venders and do what you can to help them as well as trying to improve your product and service. Everyone has their favorite to eat at when I am in a hurry I look for a HotDog Cart. I love the quaintness of the one on one. I visit restuarants at least 10 meals a week and hot dog carts at least 3 times a week So yes there is room for everyone.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebamo View Post
...So yes there is room for everyone.
Yes there is and best of luck to you. If you taking on the restaurant industry around here, you're taking on a tough foe with deep pockets to fight you, but everywhere I've been, food trucks and mobile vendors have done nothing but increased the variety, quality and enjoyment of available food options. Good for you. I hope it works out.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM

You all need to go on the planning and zoning sites and tell them we need food trucks also have all your freind do the same. We are having public review jan 23 2014 at Horry county council if you can make it let me know the more the better

Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebamo View Post
You all need to go on the planning and zoning sites and tell them we need food trucks also have all your freind do the same. We are having public review jan 23 2014 at Horry county council if you can make it let me know the more the better

Good suggestion, Kebamo! And, best of luck to you!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Food Truck Survey & Public Meeting

On December 9, 2013 in Events, General
Should Food Trucks be allowed in Horry County? To voice your opinion, please take our brief SURVEY.

Also, a Public Input Meeting concerning Food Trucks in Horry County will be held on Thursday, January 23rd at 3:00 pm in Conf. Room B of the Horry County Government and Justice Building.

tps://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MHYZ7T5

Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Should be https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MHYZ7T5

Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 AM

Ok here is an update

News
>
Local News
Food trucks in Horry County: Is there a need?
BY JASON M. RODRIGUEZ
jrodriguez@thesunnews.comDecember 3, 2013
FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusRedditE-mailPrint

Kathy McCart of Pawleys Island orders a grilled cheese sandwich. Food trucks line the back parking lot of Suck Bang Blow in Murrells Inlet Sunday, offering up mobile delights for hungry customers. The trucks, which have become popular small businesses in many US cities, face tight regulation in the Grand Strand area. The event also features live music, and a swap meet

CONWAY — The Horry County Planning Department wants to hear from business owners in the county, those who may be interested in operating food trucks, and from people who would benefit if the trucks were in the county, before it moves forward with drafting an ordinance to regulate the trucks.

County officials plan to wait until after the new year to host a public meeting that will allow stakeholders – existing business owners, potential business owners and potential customers – to say whether they support opening the Grand Strand’s bustling food industry to mobile food trucks, which feature warm or pre-packaged foods. A date for the meeting has not been set.

The ultimate question is: Is there a need?

In 2010, the county adopted an ordinance that allows for smaller push carts, like hot dog stands. It allows for bigger mobile food trucks during special events, said Janet Carter, director of planning.

“It is something that has picked up in popularity across the country and there are a lot of positives and, of course, some negatives too,” Carter told a county committee recently.

Councilman Paul Prince said one of those negatives could be how close the county allows the mobile food trucks to existing businesses.

“I do have a problem if a vendor sets up there and takes business away from these kinds of businesses that are established and paid for,” Prince said. “If it’s out in a rural area, I’d hate to see someone just pull up and get in between and set up a temporary business by a business that’s already there.”

Carter said that is something to consider.

“That’s always been a concern,” she said. “That’s one of the biggest concerns... I will say there are a lot of jurisdictions who have been able to work this out quite successfully and usually that’s done with spacing.”

Karl Moser, an Horry County resident who brought the mobile food truck issue to the forefront at the County Council’s most recent meeting, said municipalities across the nation address the mobile food truck industry with spacing requirements, such as 300-500 feet away from an existing business and spacing regulations from stop lights and fire hydrants. He said a mobile food truck can be a vital food source for those who work late at night and do not have time to find food during a half-hour lunch break.

“You’re usually there about five to 10 minutes and then you go to your next spot,” Moser said of the vendors. “It gives good competition, but it can be regulated very well.”

Just how popular are mobile food vendors now in an area that has more than 1,800 restaurants along a 60-mile stretch along the Grand Strand?

Brand Dean, president and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, said it’s not an issue the chamber has taken a stance on and not something the board has looked into.

Mark Kruea, spokesman for the city of Myrtle Beach, said the city has had an ordinance regulating mobile food trucks for a while now and it gained popularity in the mid-2000s when high rises were being built along Ocean Boulevard and construction workers were looking for quick meals. But, Kruea said, there are no mobile food trucks currently registered with the city.

“The food trucks have become quite popular in some communities,” Kruea said. “People will follow some food trucks, you can get an app on your telephone and find the food that you like. But we have so many great restaurants in the area, that we haven’t seen the need for mobile restaurants... The competition would be steep, I think.”

“Right now there doesn’t seem to be much demand for it, but that could change.”

And that’s one of the worries Horry County Councilman Gary Loftus has with the proposed ordinance. When he asked Moser what type of market study was done to see if the mobile food truck will be successful, Moser said it is more word of mouth than scientific study.

“You might perceive there’s a need, but does the customer perceive there’s a need?” Loftus asked. “I’d hate to go through this and end up with two food trucks that are gone within six months.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area