Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM

30 posts, read 123,820 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We are in the planning stages of making a move to the beach and are working on gathering information. Bearing in mind that we are currently living in New York (a.k.a the Land of High Taxes), we are wondering about property and other taxes in Horry County. We were told that we should not move to this county specifically because of that, but other research indicates that maybe it's just the city of Myrtle Beach that we need to stay away from. What is the deal? We really want to know:

What are average property taxes on, say, a $150,000 house on an average lot?

How can we find out what our cars and boat will be taxed per year? There has to be a place that we can be specific and get real info, right?

Are there taxes on business equipment (like a bucket or dump truck)? If so, how can we find out about what those will be?

We really appreciate any help that you can offer. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:38 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Here's a number of links that will help answer your questions, but your best bet is to call the Horry County Treasurer's office. It might take a few attempts, but they can put you in touch with someone who can help with questions. Yes, there are business personal property taxes on all business equipment, even if it's a home-based business.
Horry County Government
SC Tax Info for New Residents - The state-based sales tax of 5% is just kidding. There are a multitude of local option additions. I may be off a penny but I think most of Horry County is now 8%, and the City of MB is about to add another 1%. Horry County has not yet indicated whether they will also add this new local option.
Calculating SC Property Taxes - Please note that each county has its own millage rates, and its own special assessment add-on's. Anything you get from this website is general in nature. That's why a call to the county gov't is the only way to get anything useful.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 AM

30 posts, read 123,820 times
Thank you very much. I'll call the county and see what they have to say. Do you have a strong opinion about choosing Horry County or another one? Are we choosing the most difficult place to live by going there? I have seen several recommendations mentioning the Southern end of the area into Georgetown County. Is that a better place for full time residents? We want to be close to the beach (obviously), but we wouldn't object to going a half hour or so inland, either. I know this is a crazy post... but even though we feel like we know the area very well, we find ourselves at a loss now that we are actually looking for a place to put down some long-term roots. Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
As far as taxes are concerned, I'm not sure they are a big factor in Horry vs. Georgetown. There are some differences, but nothing major. While Georgetown is a big county, the vast majority of residents are stuffed into the Waccamaw Neck area, a narrow spit of land stretching from Murrells Inlet on the north end to the Waccamaw River bridge on the south end. The "other side" of Georgetown was set to break out with a number of major developments prior to the recent economic disasters. To the best of my knowledge, most of those have been placed on hold.

Several years ago, I would have said that the Neck area was unique as compared to much of MB. IMO, that's not really true any more, as the Grand Strand attitude toward tourism has continually migrated down Hwy 17. The type of development that has come to Pawleys Island/Litchfield along Hwy 17 borders on criminal. Overall, the explosion in growth east of the ICW from North Carolina to the city of Georgetown has far exceeded anything the area is capable of supporting without a significant detrimental impact to both the natural environment and the quality of life. Of course, that's all my opinion, and I'm sure you'll get a different view from others. Many will tell you it's heaven, but for many, the honeymoon ends after four or five years. For those that have lived here awhile, the changes are often hard to watch. Since you're a REA, I won't give you the usual sermon about life in a tourist area, but the Grand Strand is all about tourists, with a season that now spans most of 12 months/year.

You didn't ask about homeowner's insurance, but it can be more problematic than taxes if you live east of the ICW and particularly east of Hwy 17. When you begin to settle in on a specific location, I recommend talking to an insurance agent prior to taking on any obligations. A number of companies have quit writing policies, and those that still do are calling the shots. We live in a small home west of Hwy 17 and east of the ICW. Since 2003, our homeowner's insurance premiums have quadrupled. At the same time, deductibles have risen significantly for some types of risks and the overall coverage has degraded significantly. We have been with the same insurance company for 30+ years, spread over a number of states. When I discussed increases with my agent a couple years ago, his words were polite but thinly veiled to let me know I should be glad I still have coverage. A close friend in the insurance business down here told me the same thing.

What should you do? Probably the same thing as the rest of us - ignore all the doubts and warnings and move on down here. At least you have the opportunity to buy cheap and probably sell at a pretty good profit after several years if you decide it's a bad move. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time deciding where to buy. Like you said, perspective shifts big-time from a vacationer to a prospective buyer. I had vacationed the SC coast 30+ years before moving here FT. I thought I knew exactly where I wanted to live until I started looking. In the end, it took almost 3 months of searching before we bought.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 04-12-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area