Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,214 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with Atlantic Beach? I looked on the map and it looks like its only about 6 square blocks. I know that they host the Black Harley Bike Week. I read an article in the Sun news today about the police chief resigning after only a few months on the job. They have had trouble keeping someone for the position.

Is the area that bad? Or are the town politics more of a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,198 times
Either you haven't lived here that long or you NEVER get out of the house..

Ab has been stigmatized as long as I can remember... It's a predominantly low income community and has been ridden with petit crime for years. They have very little income from a tax base, and without federal subsidies, they have not been able to run the town government.. It appears that there has been a significant amount of corruption in their 'city government' for years.

IMO, due to this ongoing corruption and in fighting, the state should pull their charter... End of story..

Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Either you haven't lived here that long or you NEVER get out of the house..
Well, I've only been here a year and I get out of the house, but haven't had many reasons to travel above Myrtle Beach.

That's too bad about the town in turmoil like that. That is prime real estate and I am sure it doesn't help the nearby communities either.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Atlantic Beach is very small, but at one time it was the only beach on the South Carolina coast that was open to African-American residents.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 12,173 times
It is plagued by racism and continues to struggle. Because it is prime real estate the emphasis has been to try to run the predominately African American population off their land instead of fostering this legendary area. As we can see across America, neglect of one becomes neglect for all. When SC eventually wakes up to that fact the entire state will prosper.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM

I have heard whispers that Trump is trying to buy up property in Atlantic Beach. Don't know how true it is but I am sure that will force some change in the town.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 AM

194 posts, read 748,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by close2thesun View Post
Because it is prime real estate the emphasis has been to try to run the predominately African American population off their land instead of fostering this legendary area.
Sorry but I can't agree with this as the value has always been there but nobody had the vision to see it. IMHO this is an example of the citizens of the town not getting involved in their community and electing officials who serve the best interest. Unfortunately the leaders lack of vision and infighting especially over the last several years has left AB behind when all areas around them where growing. The failure to foster can only be blamed on the citizens and their elected officials. The state did send in help and Mr. Williams can only recognize and recommend ways for them to help themselves as he has done in many trouble communities across the state. It is up to the town council and mayor to make required changes to get back on track.
The state does provide opportunities for least developed and distressed communities and has for years. It is up to the leaders to take advantage of these resources and use them in ways to improve their communities and attract new business.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

215 posts, read 544,930 times
Atlantic Beach is a black beach. Come see for yourself. One drive through and you will know.

It has also been plagued for many years with infighting among the owners. Smalltime owners but with a rivalry that is astounding to we onlookers from surrounding areas. Always arguments, fights and law suits going on.

Council meetings always end up in gridlock. Nothing ever gets done. The police force constantly changes and drugs have always been a problem. If you live near there (Windy Hill or Cresent Beaches) you have probably heard gunfires occasionly any night for years.

Mr. Trump has his own legal problems right now, missing a fifty million dollar interest payment for the Taj in AC and the Trump Tower bank foreclosure in Chicago so he wouldn't have the time or resources to mess with AB.

They also have blocked Ocean Blvd. from continuing through Windy Hill to Cresent Beach. Hemmed themselves in instead of sharing North Myrtle Beach resources with Windy Hill, Cresent, Ocean Drive and Cherry Grove.

Yes, this is racist in my opinion and the opinion of many others. When you vountarily close your beach from joining the rest of the beaches and yours is 100% black owned, what else can it be?

It's sad really

Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 AM

7 posts, read 38,232 times
When I came here in Oct. I was told stay away from Atlantic Beach it was for the blacks. They have Sport Bike Week and there are a lot of problems with that. Not a very nice area, very poor looking.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Quote:
They also have blocked Ocean Blvd. from continuing through Windy Hill to Cresent Beach...
A minor point, but Ocean Drive was originally blocked in the 40's/50's to keep blacks in, not the other way around. MB was a sleepy little town back then, and like too many small Southern towns, the klan made many of the rules. In recent years, Atlantic Beach has insisted on keeping the road blocked, trying to maintain their own identity. In my opinion, that's been a very poor decision because their property values would skyrocket if they would agree to merge with NMB. Of course, that's a Caucasian perspective on an African-American issue, so I am probably too quick to judge. Past that, there's not much good news. Atlantic Beach has a long record of corruption, poor fiscal management, in-fighting, and missed opportunities.

On a side note, Atlantic Beach is in large part responsible for the birth of the shag and beach music. The dance was born in NMB, by white kids dancing to black R&B music. Beach music evolved sometime later as a "white" alternative to R&B. Black R&B artists were sometimes allowed to play in white clubs in MB, but the only places they could stay and eat were in Atlantic Beach. In 2008, Little Anthony and the Imperials were inducted into the Beach Music Hall of Fame, recognizing the times they played along the Grand Strand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area