Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,198 times

Advertisements

Can someone answer my question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 AM

540 posts, read 1,680,543 times
Yes, there are bad elements. This week there was an abduction attempt of a female by 3 men. She made enough ruckus to be let go. Was on the news last night. Happened around 22nd.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/story.asp?s=12853720

Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,198 times
That is really scary. I hope we don't experience anything like that staying at 33rd. Was this in the day time?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksteach View Post
That is really scary. I hope we don't experience anything like that staying at 33rd. Was this in the day time?
Yep, smack in the middle of the day. I won't let my 18 yr old go down there any longer, even with her friends. Just not safe.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,028 times
The police have made an arrest in last week's case with the possibility of solving more...

Charleston sheriff exploring link between kidnapping, Brittanee Drexel case - Crime and Courts - TheSunNews.com

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Yes, but he doesn't even LOOK like the photo the sketch artist came up with. Kinda sketchy...no pun intended

Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

62 posts, read 169,754 times
Default Atlantic Beach

On a side note, Atlantic Beach is in large part responsible for the birth of the shag and beach music. The dance was born in NMB, by white kids dancing to black R&B music. Beach music evolved sometime later as a "white" alternative to R&B. Black R&B artists were sometimes allowed to play in white clubs in MB, but the only places they could stay and eat were in Atlantic Beach. In 2008, Little Anthony and the Imperials were inducted into the Beach Music Hall of Fame, recognizing the times they played along the Grand Strand. [/quote]

More History on the Evolution of the Shag and the ties of white kids to the black artists.............

Who is Chicken Hicks?

Malcolm Ray “Chicken” Hicks (1925-2004) probably did not invent shagging, or shag dancing, but he was one of its greatest innovators and popularizers. Most histories credit him along with Billy Jeffers with spreading the craze. In the years after World War II, he also helped introduce the African-American “bop” sound to white audiences, which led to the evolution of the “beach music” sound.
Well known on the Eastern Seaboard from Virginia to Florida, Hicks regularly performed exhibitions at the Grand National dance championships in Atlanta; his last appearance there was on Memorial Day weekend 2004, just weeks before his death. He was admitted to the Shaggers Hall of Fame, and the Cape Fear Museum proudly displays his signature white “shaggin’ ” shoes.
Born Nov. 27, 1925, in Durham, N.C., the son of Leo and Gurley Hicks, young Malcolm had his first exposure to black dance music as a teenager, slipping into “Colored Only” shows at the Durham Armory. He supposedly picked up one of his distinctive moves, the “camel walk,” while hanging around at Skinny’s Shoeshine Parlor in Durham.
Hicks served in the U.S. Coast Guard, then, by his own account washed up in Carolina Beach in 1943. Back then (he later told reporter Lee Roberts), “It was like a state fair, 24 hours a day … There were places that had no doors, ’cause they were always open.”
Along the way, Hicks made friends with ex-Merchant Marine Jim Hannah. Hannah, or possibly Hannah and Hicks in partnership, founded a Carolina Beach dance spot called the Tijuana Inn (the name inspired by an excursion to the Southwest).
Before long, Hicks — along with younger brother Bobby Hicks and few other white boys — began to slip over to nearby Seabreeze, the “colored” beach resort under segregation, to check out the dance scene in the “jump joints.”
Back at Carolina Beach, sometime in 1946, Hicks persuaded Hannah to loosen up the Tijuana Inn and put a few “race records” (45s by black recording artists) on the bar’s jukebox. According to Billy C. Wirtz, these included such cuts as Lionel Hampton’s “Hey Bop A Ree Bop,” “The Honeydripper” by Joe Liggins and ” ‘Round the Clock” by Johnny Otis.
“I got chummy with the jukebox changers,” Hicks said in a 1996 interview, “and I’d say ‘Bring that record and that record.’ I got rid of Glenn Miller in Carolina Beach jukeboxes.”
Hicks also began to show off some of the new bop and jitterbug steps he’d picked up from Seabreeze. He did not, however, call it shagging. “I’m gone tell you the truth, I didn’t call it anything,” he said in 1996. “I couldn’t stand it, how they all called it the jitterbug. All I said wa, ‘Come on, let’s go jump awhile.’ ” His favorite white jump joint, he later recalled, was the Sugar Bowl, at the south end of Carolina Beach.
By 1948, shagging had broken out at Carolina Beach’s Ocean Plaza. The following year, however — after a spate of fistfights between local boys and servicemen (and a couple of rumored killings — the mayor of Carolina Beach ordered a crackdown. The Tijuana Inn and Sugar Bowl were closed, along with a couple of other places. According to Wirtz, Hicks may have had to leave town for a while. (He never left for long.) The only dance hall left, the Ocean Plaza, limited dancers to ages 18 and older, so by 1950, the shag scene shifted down the coast to Myrtle Beach.
Hicks, meanwhile, pursued a conventional career in the building and construction trades. He worked for PMSI Southeast for a number of years and at the time of his death was president of the All Wood Fence Co. of Carolina Beach.
He still found plenty of time to dance, though, marrying his longtime partner Lynda Myers.
Hicks struck a memorable appearance. According to Bo Bryan, author of “The Shag Book,” he was “tall and rail-thing with arms as long as railroad ties, skinny as toothpicks with sledgehammers attached at the business ends.” Bryan claimed Hicks had boxers’ hands with thick fists (which occasionally came in handy, when things grew rowdy).
“The young girls still loved him when he was logically too old to flirt,” Bryan wrote. “They would sidle up to him on the edge of the dance floor and wait for him to stop talking, which might take awhile …(h)e allowed himself to be led onto the floor, a silver-haired, silver-tongued barbarian, out of another age, when giants still slept under the boardwalk … He danced around the girl as if she were a small goddess fresh out of cheerleader’s training camp, him a renegade high school dropout who would spirit her away to Fort Lauderdale while her mama wasn’t watching.”
Hicks was a longtime member of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Carolina Beach. He died on the Fourth of July, 2004, at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington.
Date posted: May 17, 2009

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM

40 posts, read 147,878 times
The city government is corrupt as heck. Some are doing time. A lot of crack dealers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area