Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM

215 posts, read 545,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
A minor point, but Ocean Drive was originally blocked in the 40's/50's to keep blacks in, not the other way around. MB was a sleepy little town back then, and like too many small Southern towns, the klan made many of the rules. In recent years, Atlantic Beach has insisted on keeping the road blocked, trying to maintain their own identity. In my opinion, that's been a very poor decision because their property values would skyrocket if they would agree to merge with NMB. Of course, that's a Caucasian perspective on an African-American issue, so I am probably too quick to judge. Past that, there's not much good news. Atlantic Beach has a long record of corruption, poor fiscal management, in-fighting, and missed opportunities.

On a side note, Atlantic Beach is in large part responsible for the birth of the shag and beach music. The dance was born in NMB, by white kids dancing to black R&B music. Beach music evolved sometime later as a "white" alternative to R&B. Black R&B artists were sometimes allowed to play in white clubs in MB, but the only places they could stay and eat were in Atlantic Beach. In 2008, Little Anthony and the Imperials were inducted into the Beach Music Hall of Fame, recognizing the times they played along the Grand Strand.
Shagging was born, not in AB but in Ocean Drive, up the beach. Fat Harold's, The Pad and the Spanish Gallion of which only one, The Pad, is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Shagging was born, not in AB but in Ocean Drive...
If you read my entire post, you'd see that's what I said. I apologize for using the generic term NMB, but unfortunately, OD is only a fond memory for those of us old enuff and Southern enuff to remember it. ("To us and those like us. Damn few left...")

Regardless, the shag was born of R&B music. If Atlantic Beach had not been a presence, it's very unlikely this music would have had nearly the impact on this region. Without it, we might all be doing the polka at HOTO's.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 PM

215 posts, read 545,106 times
This is exactly what I was talking about. AB always in strife and chaos.

Atlantic Beach mayor arrested at town hall

By Robert Morris - rmorris@thesunnews.com
Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009

Atlantic Beach mayor arrested at town hall - Breaking News - Myrtle Beach Online (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/breaking_news/story/761804.html - broken link)

Just over a week after being sworn in, the new Atlantic Beach mayor has been arrested following a dispute at town hall.

Retha Pierce was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon on a trespassing charge, Atlantic Beach Police officials said.

More details will be posted as they become available.

David

Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,157 times
i also want to know if there is public transportation [bus] in atlantic beach

Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM

what are you people saying i'm moving to atlantic beach found a cheap place amys rentals are you saying because i'm white i won't be welcomed come on people its 2009

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 35,698 times
ya its 2009, but it is South Carolina.. its a racist place in certain places, thats no my opinion, thats a fact.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
IMO, it's unfair to blame Atlantic Beach's current problems on racism. AB was originally founded as one of the very few SC beaches where African-Americans were permitted. There's no question that racism played a huge role in its origin and its history.

In recent years, AB has worked hard to retain its heritage as an African-American community. While that's understandable, it probably has not been to their best interests as far as development and progress is concerned. Several decades ago, Ocean Drive was originally blocked at the AB city limits, to keep blacks from "straying" into white communities. AB has made the decision to keep Ocean Drive blocked, essentially cutting itself off from other beach communities.

Today's problems are far more related to AB's inability to establish a functional municipal government that is capable of setting progressive direction for the town. Their previous mayor was removed from office for fraud or embezzlement. The current mayor is under three criminal indictments - (1) resisting arrest, (2) trespassing, (3) hit & run auto accident. These are all stemming from three separate incidents happening in the space of only a few months. Town managers and police chiefs with excellent experience and strong determination to help the town rarely last more than a few months. Last night, their regular town council meeting was cancelled once again due to arguments between council members prior to the meeting. This was the 5th or 6th consecutive town meeting cancelled due to internal strife. Newspaper report (http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/870078.html - broken link)

Today, racism is well down on the list of AB problems. There's serious question whether it can or should continue to exist as a separate entity unless their municipal government and finances can be fixed quickly. I'm hoping they can find a solution, but it will be a formidable task.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM

35 posts, read 75,935 times
Here's my problem with keeping their "individuality". The town still refuses to make progressive movements in their best interests, not to mention the entire Grand Strand's best interests. They refuse to integrate with the city due to wanting to keep their individuality, yet they want NMB public works to maintain their area. They need to have the county and NMB city police patrol their areas. Every year, black bike week is held, (and I applaud them for that), yet the responsibility of traffic control, crowd control, clean up, etc. all falls on the city of NMB which costs us tens of thousands of dollars in extra police officers from out of the area, city wide clean ups, etc. and AB refuses to contribute anything to it. The city, as well as the people in the city have the typical mentality that gives so many African Americans a bad stereotype, of gimmie gimmie gimmie. They want it all but aren't willing to do what it takes to get there. Just let the others do the work and let the townspeople reap the rewards. Many people also aren't aware of the fact that Marathon Oil development came in to the town in '06 and bought almost the entire ocean front with plans to make a beautiful resort, as well as clean the entire town and repair many homes FOR FREE! The town's response to "the white man" (yes, I heard it stated first hand) coming into their town, was to invoke a new ordinance to completely prevent ANY building on the ocean front or 2nd row. Now Marathon is stuck with 5 ocean front lots that they paid millions for that they can't do anything with. It is pure racism on the town's part, as well as complete ignorance. They want to stay "individual" and live in a crack neighborhood, I say let them. Eventually they will perish, as sustainment can only last so long. Eventually the state will run out of wellfare money and the rest of the town that hasn't been evicted for non payment of taxes/mtg,etc. will soon be booted out. Just my opinion though.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhall517 View Post
ya its 2009, but it is South Carolina.. its a racist place in certain places, thats no my opinion, thats a fact.

You are so right.

The racist are the people who live in AB. They do not want others in and expect others to come in and bail them out and hand them over money.

They did not want to be a part of the growth of NMB and did not want to share THEIR BEACH area.

That is racist and the real racism is them.

Drive through the place if you are white, they do not want you there, they believe you do not have the right to be there and show it.

Time to condemn the area and start all over so EVERYONE can enjoy it and not just those select few who also ruined the MB bike week with their lawbreaking ways, trashing and disrespect of other peoples property.

Yes it 2009 and people still believe racism is only one direction when in fact is has rapidly grown quite the opposite in the last few years and getting worse. AB is the perfect example of how racist people can be.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 PM

can anyone let me know a really cheap place to live since atlantic beach is out we are on a fixed income and want to move to the area /please help i cant take another winter here in erie pa thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area