Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Well if it makes anyone feel any better, here in SW Florida it is cold, raw and a steady rain. I just walked the dog and even he did not want to be out in it. If this were NJ, I would say it feels like it was going to snow.......

He needs one of these!

handsnpaws.com: "Puddles" Raincoat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,808 times
I was actually on the beach enjoying the sun on Thanksgiving... seems like ages ago.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times
Hey, we did try and warn you that it gets cold here. The flood of "oh it hasn't happened in the x amt of years that I've been here" may have thrown people off, but in the seven that I've been here, we have had 2 cold winters, now going on 3. Granted, not NY or Maine type of cold, but cold enough to need gloves, hats, scarves, and a heavy winter coat. Weather is cyclical, so it was bound to happen.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 PM

20 posts, read 63,866 times
Default VERY COLD IN Myrtle Beach Nov. Thru Feb.

Quote:
I monitor the temperatures (and weather) of NJ, Murrells Inlet SC and, where I am, Naples FL on my desktop. This week it has been colder in Murrells Inlet than even NJ (19 this morning!). Is this unusual? It is cold here in Florida, but not (yet) freezing.....

I have lived in the area for 6 COLD to VERY COLD winters now. Beginning in late October, this area starts cooling down considerably. By Nov., the days average between 55-60 degrees, while the night lows are pretty consistently in the low to mid 30s. By Dec., this gets even worse & by January, the daytime highs are in the 40s and nights in the mid 20s. By mid February, things gradually reverse themselves in the Myrtle Beach area.

Coming from the Philadelphia area, the weather here is slightly better during the day, however, the nights are as cold as they are up North.

Unlike FL, where there may be a cold snap now & then, the above describes the average weather here in Myrtle Beach during the winter month.

It's COLD, just about always 4-5 months of the year!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Yes! Love The Hype That MB Has A Warmer Winter Than Up North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Hey, we did try and warn you that it gets cold here. The flood of "oh it hasn't happened in the x amt of years that I've been here" may have thrown people off, but in the seven that I've been here, we have had 2 cold winters, now going on 3. Granted, not NY or Maine type of cold, but cold enough to need gloves, hats, scarves, and a heavy winter coat. Weather is cyclical, so it was bound to happen.
Definitely NOT True, unless one comes from Alaska! I also moniter the weather N, S, E & W of here, all the time.

Back in Nov., I was hard pressed to find too many places, in all directions, reporting temps lower than here.

I, too, discovered the last few winters have been worse than the first few, when I first arrived in the area, expecting a much warmer situation than that which I left in PA.

Not only are the "average highs & lows," off by at least 10 degrees here, but the outside thermometers are also set to show these same bogus temps., I have discovered.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Default Thanksgiving Was AWESOME HERE BUT It Was AN Exception, Not The Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I was actually on the beach enjoying the sun on Thanksgiving... seems like ages ago.
I also enjoyed that exceptional weather, but knowing, "better," regarding the real deal here at this time of year, I did not get my hopes up!

Also, in PI, this place is nowhere to be if one likes warm-mild winters...It just ain't here, unfortunately!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Default SW FL Has 20-30 Degrees on MB, SC...Just about Always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
He needs one of these!

handsnpaws.com: "Puddles" Raincoat

Checking the temp in Ft. Meyers on the WC, currently reading 52 there, while it is 30 here in SC & 26 in Philly!

I'd take the 54 any day of the week!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Default Naples-Like Weather Will Be In Myrtle Beach In March!

Quote:
Well I miss Murrells Inlet but won't be returning until the temps are at least like here in Naples (40's at night, 60/70's during the day). Even this is too cold for me. Maybe it's time to look for Pamama property. Gotta sign up for those Spanish lessons.......
Typical Temps In MB are as follows from Nov. To March:

Highs between 40-55
Lows between 20-35 (not including wind chill factor)

Not the ideal place to be in winter!

See you in March! lol

Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 AM

Default It's Not That Unusual--MB Is COLD Throughout The Winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Yes, it is unusual. I'm not sure we made it, but the low last night was supposed to have been a record setter.

Regardless, someone needs to turn the heat on.... It was colder last night here in MB than it was in Juneau, Alaska.. I checked!
Upper 20s at night here & between 45-50 during the day are about "average," temps here, at this time of year.

I have spent 6 winters here & although they were slightly better in those first years, they have declined in the last 3 years, as another poster also commented.

I can top your observation regarding being colder here than Juneau! Several nights in Nov., researching places all along the Canadian Border & even into Canada (Montreal), I was unable to find another place colder than MB!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 AM

Default YES! Hold On To Your Winter Gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
It's been bitterly cold the past several days. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of all my winter coats when I moved here!
I got rid of my winter coat when I moved here from the Northeast several years ago.

What was I thinking????

I ended up having to go out and buy one here.

I soon learned the warm winter I was seeking here did not exist!

In fact, I have often felt colder here than I did in the PA!

Full Blown winter here in MB, as up North, is 4 months long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area