Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 09:08 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

It's nothing compared to when I was a kid so it's kind of nostalgic for me. I have sympathy for people who have to get to work but even that is easier these days. And much concern for the elders and them keeping warm enough. Check on them, please.

I remember as a teen who insisted on driving in the country in drifts so high you saw nothing but snow looking out the side windows. They were one-way paths so you just hoped no one else was coming from the other direction! No cell phone.

In March of '65 our town electricity was off for five days. No groceries, no medical, no communication and no entertainment. That's when you got out the Monopoly board and card games and remembered how much fun it was to have the family play together.

The doors were blocked by snow, we burned kerosene stoves in a couple of rooms and used hurricane lamps. Slept under great-grandma's heavy wool, patchwork quilts that would plaster a kid flat in bed until morning.

The cats slept on a towel on the open oven door in the kitchen where Mom kept the gas stove going on low.

Waited to see who the first farm folk would be to make it into town and were ready to serve them a cup of coffee and some cake.

After a few days town workers would pile the snow into small mountains and we kids were actually allowed to go out and brutalize each other with games of King on the Hill. Half the town would show up on our corner, the highest spot in town which was a gradual slope, for sledding. You needed a good run first. Dad would cook up a giant kettle of hot chocolate and marshmallows to pass around.

The house was filled with the smell of wet wool snow suits drying on the radiators. I had chillblains on my face.

All I remember was the adventure. But Mom, who was a country school teacher at sixteen, remembered saving the lives of the kids in her classroom alone on the prairie during the Armistice Day blizzard. First she took their lunches and portioned them out. Next she burned the books. Finally, scared to death for the consequences, she burned the desks. No one dared go to the woodpile for fear of going astray and freezing to death. Most of the farm families had ropes that led to the barn and other places they'd have to go.

On the fourth day they were finally saved by a farmer with horses hitched to a manure spreader! His wife had loaded it with quilts and heated bricks. They still had to stay a couple of days at the farmers' home, eating pancakes, until their families could come in search for them.

That story has given me a great deal of respect for Minnesota weather. Even this wimpy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 11:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati;[url
https://img.apmcdn.org/bd708648786847be67f591c741b0952fb17af087/uncropped/57b003-20230220-rt0220mpxsnow8-webp809.webp
Meh, they always way overblow storm estimates. We'll probably get a good foot of snow, but it'll be falling in two spurts over the course of three days. Nothing we've never seen before in Minnesota.

In general, this has been a mild, fairly uneventful winter. We only had that one week of extreme polar cold back in December, otherwise we've barely dipped below zero at all this entire season which is very strange.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:51 PM

334 posts, read 181,681 times
Just 78 days and the days start getting shorter and the summer is basically over at that point and the state fair is just around the corner from then.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
Just 78 days and the days start getting shorter and the summer is basically over at that point and the state fair is just around the corner from then.
You must be related to my mother. Every Fourth of July she'd announce, "The summer is half over"

Made me want to cry.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:45 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You must be related to my mother. Every Fourth of July she'd announce, "The summer is half over"

Made me want to cry.
Not to worry, the cold winter will be over any day now.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:51 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Not to worry Minnesotans, a big warming trend likely by the middle of April according to the computer models that I looked at today and yesterday.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:13 AM

The last time we had a spring this late the lakes stayed too cold for swimming for me until August.

Probably good for fishermen.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Sadly, a rapid warm-up is going to mean an extremely dire flood risk this spring. The Twin Cities area may not see catastrophic flooding, but downriver communities need to start sandbagging right now.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:06 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Just announced, Duluth area, for being 4th snowiest season on record.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:14 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Just announced, Duluth area, for being 4th snowiest season on record.
Most of the snowier seasons have all been in the last 20-30 years. Warmer overall climate means the ability for the atmosphere to hold more moisture- meaning more snowfall in specific areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota