Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM

161 posts, read 278,737 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am sure this has been asked a billion times but really how is the weather there? My husband and I are looking to move from Michigan. I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA and when I married my husband and moved to MI I had no idea how awful the cloud cover here is in the winter, it is hellish! I have recently discovered that I suffer from SAD and am ready to get the heck out of dodge. Winter is a nightmare for me and our kids, it seems they suffer too. With MI job market in the toilet and husband getting to be laid off again we are ready for a change and are looking at different states. So tell me about the weather there in different parts of the state. I am not scared of the cold and snow Michigan has toughened me up pretty good. (We live in one the famous snowbelts on the west coast )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Please.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,477,283 times
If you do a search on this forum for Minnesota weather you'll find a LOT of information about conditions in all areas. It is quite a bit cooler the further north you go but overall pretty similar. Winters can be very cold but you get a lot of days where there is brilliant sunshine and clear skies all day long (those are usually the colder days as the cloud cover keeps things warmer). Winter conditions vary a great deal. In 10 years of living in MN I experienced some that lasted 8 months with 6ft of snow and some with very little snow and just lots of rain and wind. There is no real consistency. Summers are hot and humid with tremendous thunderstorms and occasional tornados.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
If you do a search on this forum for Minnesota weather you'll find a LOT of information about conditions in all areas. It is quite a bit cooler the further north you go but overall pretty similar. Winters can be very cold but you get a lot of days where there is brilliant sunshine and clear skies all day long (those are usually the colder days as the cloud cover keeps things warmer). Winter conditions vary a great deal. In 10 years of living in MN I experienced some that lasted 8 months with 6ft of snow and some with very little snow and just lots of rain and wind. There is no real consistency. Summers are hot and humid with tremendous thunderstorms and occasional tornados.
Could you tell me what winter that was that had --lots of rain and wind ?

I've lived here 64 years and recall winters with very little snow but recall no winters with just lots of rain and wind.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Just out of curiosity, which winter lasted 8 months? Did you live in International falls? Or do you classify anything below 50 degrees as winter weather? I can agree that many winters last 5 months (mid November to mid April), but I'm having a tough time believing winter lasting from mid-October to mid June!

Other than that, I agree with Chilaili's comments about the sunshine and variable winter conditions. I have friends who live in Chicago and Ohio, and they get much more cloud cover than Minnesota. Summer weather is also variable, we can have hot and humid weather, but we can also have cool and dry weather (which has especially been true of this summer, although its supposed to get to 100 degrees this weekend (we haven't been above 90 degrees since May).

Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,347 times
Look at this this for climate questions. Look at the data and make you own conclusions.
Climate in Minneapolis-St.Paul, Minnesota

End of thread?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,536,724 times
I too hated winter in MI when I lived there. Plenty of snow and nothing but Flatland...

I have found winter to be much more enjoyable here than I ever thought it would be. Yes it does get cold but hey, it's winter anyways. Plenty of out door things to do here. Snow is heavy early and late with a break in between.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Look at this this for climate questions. Look at the data and make you own conclusions.
Climate in Minneapolis-St.Paul, Minnesota

End of thread?
Was this directed at me?

I was asking people here so I could get a feel for the individual parts of the state. I can look at climate data all day for the whole state but it won't help me with how the weather varies across the state.

I just wanted add a thanks to all that have answered.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
Was this directed at me?

I was asking people here so I could get a feel for the individual parts of the state. I can look at climate data all day for the whole state but it won't help me with how the weather varies across the state.

I just wanted add a thanks to all that have answered.
No it was not meant to be a shot at you. It was simply meant to suggest you are going to get a bunch of responses all over the map from winter sucks to winters is the best. Not sure how that is helpful to anybody.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Could you tell me what winter that was that had --lots of rain and wind ?

I've lived here 64 years and recall winters with very little snow but recall no winters with just lots of rain and wind.
It really depends where you are in the state.

Generally, the west is drier, receives less snow, and is more subject to extreme temperatures and (I think) wind. The east is a bit more moderate and wet. Of course, the rule is, farther north you go the colder it gets. Winter in Minneapolis or Winona (two of the most moderate places) is very different than winter in International Falls or Tower (two of the coldest places). Then, of course, there's the influence of Lake Superior on far northeastern Minnesota.

Winters are generally harsh, snowy, and windy; far worse in the north than in the south, but the Southern Minnesota winters certainly aren't "moderate" by any stretch of the imagination. Spring arrives first in the South and later in the North; it's a very welcome time, with the snow melting and often first 40+ or even 32+ temperatures of the year. Summers are wonderful, with highs in the 70s in the north and 80s in the south and west. 90* temperatures are not rare, and are often combined with humidity. Fall is initially beautiful, with great foliage and warm temperatures; however, by some time in October (perhaps early November in some locations) the leaves are gone and the temperatures dip down to winterish levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota