Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 PM

150 posts, read 382,116 times

Advertisements

Last night some places had windchill readings of like 50 degrees below zero.

12/28/2013 Fergus Falls, MN Overnight Blizzard Conditions - YouTube

This morning the same.

12/29/2013 Early Morning Dangerously Cold In Western Minnesota - YouTube

How do you deal with it?

Current weather in Duluth, MN right now as I type this...

Current conditions at
Duluth International Airport (KDLH)
Fair
-11°F
-24°C

Humidity 57%
Wind SpeedNW 10 mph
Barometer 30.13 in (1025.3 mb)
Dewpoint -22°F (-30°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill -30°F (-34°C)
Last Update on 29 Dec 5:55 pm CST

NOAA National Weather Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Well, first, it's important to remember that it rarely gets that cold. Many winters, even northern Minnesota may have only a dozen nights like that, and the Twin Cities none at all. So that makes it a lot easier, because you don't have to adjust for it very often.

And it's also useful to note that these are overnight lows - during even the deepest cold snaps, it's only that cold for a few hours in the middle of the night. By the time the sun comes up and people are out and about, it's usually much more tolerable.

But, to answer the question - you just dress for it. If you're wearing the right clothes, you don't even notice it. Keep in mind also that when you live up there, you're used to it, and it really doesn't seem that bad. Scoop someone up from downtown Miami and parachute him into Duluth when it's 20 below zero, and it's going to be one hell of a shock to his system. But when you've spent the whole month of December adjusting to temperatures in the 20s, then the teens, and then the single digits, by the time it starts hitting 10 or 20 below zero it really isn't that much of an adjustment.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I agree....I live in far northwestern Minnesota about 300 miles northwest of the Cities. While we are a lot colder than southern Minnesota.... wind chills of -50F dont occur terribly often even up here -- some winters several times a year, other winters maybe once. On those very cold windy days....unless you have to we generally dont go out. For shopping, etc it is tolerable as you are only outside a little bit at a time.

It does impact farmers and rural folks more as often they have to drive into town for anything and for a longer distance so chances of a breakdown on a rural road is higher. For them a survival kit is a must.

But for those in town, most of us dress warmly enough to go to places, but overall it isnt as bad as you think. That is of course if you dont have to work in construction outside or any jobs with much more outdoor presence yearround. I feel for those folks.

Dan

Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
it's not that cold and without a wind it feels much nicer

Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's not that cold and without a wind it feels much nicer
Yep wind makes all the difference. -20F and no wind isnt terribly cold, unless you will be outside for an extended period.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
i agree adjusting to cold temperatures is really not that bad. I moved from georgia to michigan and this winter has been pretty brutal. But I have adjusted to it. Now when I go outside and its 25 degrees I'm thinking "Gee, it sure is warm today" Weird but true

Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i agree adjusting to cold temperatures is really not that bad. I moved from georgia to michigan and this winter has been pretty brutal. But I have adjusted to it. Now when I go outside and its 25 degrees I'm thinking "Gee, it sure is warm today" Weird but true
Just wait til March and when it is 35 with that stronger sun angle....breaking out in a sweat.

Your body does get used to it...most do anyway. I am personally cold tolerant, but I know some who are always chilled unless it is really hot.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
dont let them fool you. yes you do get used to it somewhat, but a human body is just not made to be in weather of 20 below and more! people just talk themselves into tolerating it because they have to.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Well, first, it's important to remember that it rarely gets that cold. Many winters, even northern Minnesota may have only a dozen nights like that, and the Twin Cities none at all. So that makes it a lot easier, because you don't have to adjust for it very often.

And it's also useful to note that these are overnight lows - during even the deepest cold snaps, it's only that cold for a few hours in the middle of the night. By the time the sun comes up and people are out and about, it's usually much more tolerable.

But, to answer the question - you just dress for it. If you're wearing the right clothes, you don't even notice it. Keep in mind also that when you live up there, you're used to it, and it really doesn't seem that bad. Scoop someone up from downtown Miami and parachute him into Duluth when it's 20 below zero, and it's going to be one hell of a shock to his system. But when you've spent the whole month of December adjusting to temperatures in the 20s, then the teens, and then the single digits, by the time it starts hitting 10 or 20 below zero it really isn't that much of an adjustment.
Hi Albert, Well, not this year, eh?! This year in northern Minnesota December has had most of its nights and many of its days at below zero temps. You are correct that we just dress for it. I have taken many walks this month (21 so far) in this cold-ass weather and honestly there is something very refreshing about it when dressed properly and there is no wind.

Speaking of temps, how did you like the heat wave we had last Friday, December 27? My little grandsons finally got to play outside for an extended amount of time. Of course, we knew the forecast was calling for another super cold spell which is here right now. I am hoping we have an early Spring in 2014 and not the kind we had in 2013. But hey, it is what it is!

The weather in Minnesota does not make me want to move to another place. But hey, I spent the first five years of my life in the UP (MI), grew up in Chicago, then lived three years in Iceland, lived in Maine and now Minnesota for 25 years, so I am used to it. Minus the two years I lived in Virginia Beach (too humid and hot for me) I have spent 54 of my 56 years in the cold!

I love Minnesota for many reasons.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-30-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
dont let them fool you. yes you do get used to it somewhat, but a human body is just not made to be in weather of 20 below and more! people just talk themselves into tolerating it because they have to.
Funny, I don't think the human body is meant for the really hot and humid weather of the southern USA. When it is cold a person can put more clothes on, but when it is hot there is only so much you can take off. Then you're naked and still hot.
...insert sense of humor here...

Last edited by geebabe; 12-30-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota