Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times

Advertisements

After the death of St. George Floyd, the city allowed peeps to riot, vandalize, commit arson, and assault non-rioters in the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw the aftermath, and I understand the rioters pretty much had free reign and the vast majority never suffered any legal consequences.

And now after the demoralizing and de-funding of police, crime is up and car thefts are ridiculous, due to little or no consequences for the "youths." My kid there now has a $6/mo fee added on to her auto insurance for "car theft reduction" programs, or some such.

On Sunday morning she parked near the uptown area, and fed the meter. Meter was a few minutes past time, and she returned to her car to find a $45 parking citation. Parking enforcement must have been there within a minute of her time expiring. This is not hyperbole because I was with her and know the time she put an hour on meter. And time we returned.

Great priorities, city of Minneapolis. Mayhem to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars is A-OK, and a hard-working model citizen gets a BS parking fine of more money than almost any of the anarchist cretins got dinged for in 2020. The few that were even arrested. Clown World of the upper midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 12:22 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Life ain't fair.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:00 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
All this kvetching over a 45 dollar parking fine? Lol

Old 09-19-2023, 02:53 PM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
Minnesota has comparatively low auto insurance rates.

Quote:
Minnesota's annual car insurance averages—$585 for minimum and $1,760 for full coverage—are notably lower than the national annual averages, which are $622 for minimum and $2,014 for full coverage auto insurance.
Quote:
Drivers in Minneapolis can expect to pay some of the highest rates in the state at three percent above the Minnesota average.
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...-rates-by-city

It should be noted that 3% higher than Minnesota's already-low average rate is still below the national average.

How does Minneapolis rank among comparable large Midwestern cities? Average. Lower than Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City. Higher than Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cleveland.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...illinois/#city
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...michigan/#cost
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...michigan/#cost
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...nce-in-kansas/
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...-rates-by-city
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...ce-in-indiana/

PS - Yeah, I get that insurance rates were just a flimsy pretext for your socio-political rant. Emphasis on the 'flimsy'.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:34 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
These replies are disingenuous and bore me. All three out of three so far fail to address my larger point, except to call it "flimsy" and try to deflect from my main point with links to auto insurance rates.
So all that destruction in 2020, with jobs and businesses lost, peoples' cars torched, buildings torched, graffiti everywhere, and even lives lost, is no biggie to the dysfunctional city government there. Cops were ordered to stand down and be "tolerant." But slightly overstay your metered parking and you are so busted! Priorities, people?

How about this recent beautiful example of the new, tolerant, equitable, anti-cop MPLS? Just a "flimsy" story, right?

https://nypost.com/2023/09/07/anti-c...nt-carjacking/

Last edited by mrkool; 09-19-2023 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-19-2023, 10:25 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I'm not condoning what is happening in Minneapolis but OP you have to know they are just following the same gameplan that destroyed the quality of life in many other major cities. We were just a little late to the party.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Your kid wasn't responsible enough to make sure her meter was paid, and she got fined. What exactly are we missing here? Your right-wing whataboutism is not going to make any difference in court.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:54 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
These replies are disingenuous and bore me. All three out of three so far fail to address my larger point, except to call it "flimsy" and try to deflect from my main point with links to auto insurance rates.
So all that destruction in 2020, with jobs and businesses lost, peoples' cars torched, buildings torched, graffiti everywhere, and even lives lost, is no biggie to the dysfunctional city government there. Cops were ordered to stand down and be "tolerant." But slightly overstay your metered parking and you are so busted! Priorities, people?

How about this recent beautiful example of the new, tolerant, equitable, anti-cop MPLS? Just a "flimsy" story, right?

https://nypost.com/2023/09/07/anti-c...nt-carjacking/
Let's not forget that all that destruction in 2020 was BECAUSE of the actions of our police department. Those actions were enough to spark GLOBAL outrage, condemnation, and political action - and our city was ground zero for the civil unrest that swept this nation and beyond. For those of us that have lived here a long time, we know that MPD has a lengthy history of corruption and lacked accountability to this community, and rather than Derek Chauvin and the murder of George Floyd being a one-off situation, they were the straw that finally broke the camel's back in MN's collective failure to address its racial disparities.

I'm in no way defending Mayor Frey or the governmental response to our city burning for days, and I am not happy with most electeds in office during that time. I was part of the neighborhood brigades doing overnight shifts attempting to protect/ save our business nodes because we could not count on any police response, nor were we provided national guard support (in my area at least) in the aftermath. But I can also put things in perspective to see that many of the things that happened in 2020-- outside of our police murdering innocent residents-- were unprecedented historic events beyond anyone's control.

Oh-- I'm so sorry your daughter got a $45 ticket and has a $6 monthly fee added to her insurance. Please send my regrets on behalf of all liberal Minneapolitans.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:48 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Meter was a few minutes past time, and she returned to her car to find a $45 parking citation.
Weird. Usually the meter maids put free Starbucks gift cards on your windshield for being just "a few minutes past time". Yours must not have gotten the memo.
Quote:
Great priorities, city of Minneapolis. Mayhem to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars is A-OK, and a hard-working model citizen gets a BS parking fine of more money than almost any of the anarchist cretins got dinged for in 2020. The few that were even arrested. Clown World of the upper midwest.
Yet this was the place you decided to send your daughter to school, even despite presumably doing extensive research before making such an important decision? Well chosen.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 09-20-2023 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-20-2023, 10:51 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
These replies are disingenuous and bore me.
Your rant is uninteresting and bores us, so we try to enliven it best we can.
Quote:
But slightly overstay your metered parking and you are so busted! Priorities, people?
It's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. Meter maids aren't responsible for preventing car thefts. But I'm sure you knew that already.
Oh, look, a NY Post article in support of a right-wing viewpoint. How droll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul