Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 12:40 PM

853 posts, read 336,871 times

Advertisements

Meter enforcement is done by a separate department. It is not the police that do it.

Also it appears that this thread was created by some angry little human just to troll Minneapolis, not to have any sort of substantive discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 03:18 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I don't accept that for one bit. The rioters looting the stores and burning the buildings in my neighborhood didn't give a *hit about George Floyd. They were greedy and/or practicing what someone aptly termed "recreational outrage". The rioting caused harm to neighborhoods that will last a generation. The singular killing of George Floyd was tragic, but not as damaging as the rioting. Remember that at least two people were killed during the riots and many injured.

To the OP, in all fairness, the person who wrote the parking ticket had no way of knowing the violation was minutes old or hours old.
So how would to like to have a South American alternative to our riots in this country.

In South America, when angry, they block all the roads around the country! I was in Argentina in 2009 when I got caught up in one of their notorious road blockades. The Farmers were angry as the government wanted to tighten the amount of exports of beef to China, which they were getting a higher price.

I was delayed 4 hours in the bus but I applauded it!

Old 09-23-2023, 06:13 AM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Are actual cops writing parking tickets?
I see a parking police suv every single time I do work on Laurel Ave in St Paul (one side of street is no parking from Dale until Western) yet I never see regular cops on these days.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:08 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
Here's a sample of what politicization looks like, it's obvious that the OP has no real understanding of social forces that continue to fester regardless of the fact of his sour grapes politics. Most know that Minneapolis is a pretty cool place and that life in America's inner cities is undoubtedly a complex situation, but he wants badly to spread the blame across the entirety of a large city.

Denigrating it's citizenry, it's police force, and all the while seemingly forgetting his own (Milwaukee) backyard's contribution to our collective woes. Social unrest in the metro areas will most likely be a
continuing problem for us, but life moves on and most will be better off when they decide to look at the positives rather than the negatives..

Last edited by jertheber; 09-23-2023 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2023, 09:13 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I see a parking police suv every single time I do work on Laurel Ave in St Paul (one side of street is no parking from Dale until Western) yet I never see regular cops on these days.
I'm pretty sure the reason you don't see regular cops has nothing to do with the meter maids' presence.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
After the death of St. George Floyd, the city allowed peeps to riot, vandalize, commit arson, and assault non-rioters in the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw the aftermath, and I understand the rioters pretty much had free reign and the vast majority never suffered any legal consequences.

And now after the demoralizing and de-funding of police, crime is up and car thefts are ridiculous, due to little or no consequences for the "youths." My kid there now has a $6/mo fee added on to her auto insurance for "car theft reduction" programs, or some such.

On Sunday morning she parked near the uptown area, and fed the meter. Meter was a few minutes past time, and she returned to her car to find a $45 parking citation. Parking enforcement must have been there within a minute of her time expiring. This is not hyperbole because I was with her and know the time she put an hour on meter. And time we returned.

Great priorities, city of Minneapolis. Mayhem to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars is A-OK, and a hard-working model citizen gets a BS parking fine of more money than almost any of the anarchist cretins got dinged for in 2020. The few that were even arrested. Clown World of the upper midwest.
Honestly, sounds like she got caught over stay the meter.

So, the two main points.

Not sure I understand how you can connect an event that happened several years ago by now, to getting a parking ticket on Sunday, and calling the ticket BS.

You admit the meter was past expire time. The both of you, went past the time... If you were so concerned then it was up to you to make sure that both you and her got back in time, so as to not get a ticket. Can you pay half the ticket fine. I got a parking ticket once.

Last edited by demtion35; 09-24-2023 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-30-2023, 05:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Weird the OP never came back to continue the discussion. Guess he can't argue with logic.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:35 PM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Your kid wasn't responsible enough to make sure her meter was paid, and she got fined. What exactly are we missing here? Your right-wing whataboutism is not going to make any difference in court.
I know. I lived in Mpls in the 80s, and the parking mafia was zealous back then too. Even had my car towed once. If I'm not mistaken, the parking woes even garnered mention in the (then) local favorite "Minneapolis Blues"!

Old 11-24-2023, 12:12 PM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Minneapolis is a great city. Was there back at the end of August. Had a great time. I have to say Mpls felt safer with less urban decay than I have seen in other mid western cities.

Old 11-25-2023, 12:29 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I know. I lived in Mpls in the 80s, and the parking mafia was zealous back then too. Even had my car towed once. If I'm not mistaken, the parking woes even garnered mention in the (then) local favorite "Minneapolis Blues"!
Tow trucks don't play in Minneapolis! I admit its one of my pet peeves against the city. They can def be overzealous.

Not enough to ruin what is still a cool and fun city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul