Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 04:16 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

OP lives in Milwaukee, the most segregated city in the U.S.

I'd be scared to death to live in the most segregated city in the country, an explosive riot could occur any time!

Google Most Conservative Cities in the country, and where will you find Minneapolis, way down at the bottom sharing space with San Francisco.

I grew up in Minnesota (Rochester) and spent 21 years in Minneapolis. Now living in the Blue Island of the Southwest, Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 04:24 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
OP lives in Milwaukee, the most segregated city in the U.S.
Not quite the most (that's Chicago), but wow... I didn't even know such a metric existed. It's pretty eye-opening.
Quote:
Google Most Conservative Cities in the country, and where will you find Minneapolis, way down at the bottom sharing space with San Francisco.
To be fair, "conservative" and "segregated" live on different planes. I'd say that by most accounts Milwaukee and Chicago are pretty liberal.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
I'm sorry OP had such a bad experience.

I enjoyed Minneapolis. Yes parking fees are insane but every American city charges for parking.

I found the people of the city to be likeable and friendly.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Yes parking fees are insane but every American city charges for parking.
It didn't sound like his beef was with the parking fees as such. For what it's worth, compared to other major cities I find Minneapolis/St. Paul's to be quite reasonable.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:16 PM

357 posts, read 443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Let's not forget that all that destruction in 2020 was BECAUSE of the actions of our police department.
I don't accept that for one bit. The rioters looting the stores and burning the buildings in my neighborhood didn't give a *hit about George Floyd. They were greedy and/or practicing what someone aptly termed "recreational outrage". The rioting caused harm to neighborhoods that will last a generation. The singular killing of George Floyd was tragic, but not as damaging as the rioting. Remember that at least two people were killed during the riots and many injured.

To the OP, in all fairness, the person who wrote the parking ticket had no way of knowing the violation was minutes old or hours old.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:01 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I don't accept that for one bit. The rioters looting the stores and burning the buildings in my neighborhood didn't give a *hit about George Floyd. They were greedy and/or practicing what someone aptly termed "recreational outrage". The rioting caused harm to neighborhoods that will last a generation. The singular killing of George Floyd was tragic, but not as damaging as the rioting. Remember that at least two people were killed during the riots and many injured.

To the OP, in all fairness, the person who wrote the parking ticket had no way of knowing the violation was minutes old or hours old.
What he’s mentioning is the city (which is short staffed on officers) should be having cops go around and fight the serious people harming people crimes, not the parking ones.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:12 AM

303 posts, read 237,403 times
He was also pointing out the irony of "we will get rid on top of parking enforcement" but "Mostly peaceful rioting? Meh."

I have direct experience with protests and protestors....very few, if any, are truly protesting about "it." Just a chance to pillage/plunder.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:23 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
He was also pointing out the irony of "we will get rid on top of parking enforcement" but "Mostly peaceful rioting? Meh."

I have direct experience with protests and protestors....very few, if any, are truly protesting about "it." Just a chance to pillage/plunder.
One of my younger friends who was 25 or so at the time was telling my friend and I how awesome it was being around the destruction and fires. I then asked her how she would feel if we surrounded her apartment building or bar she bartends at and started fire bombing it and celebrating. She shut up instantly and had a change of thought/heart. My step daughter went her best friends apartment above the Foot Locker on Lake to watch. Then when arsonists started Foot Locker on fire, they barely escaped his apartment and he lost everything he owned other what he could grab. Once it started personally effecting people, they all changed their minds.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:44 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post

Watch the video, it was the best day of their lives. They were having fun destroying businesses that took decades to build. A disgusting chapter in the history of the city.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What he’s mentioning is the city (which is short staffed on officers) should be having cops go around and fight the serious people harming people crimes, not the parking ones.
Are actual cops writing parking tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul