Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:39 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Ok, and your opinion is just that, an opinion.
No. That anecdotal evidence isn't evidence is not an opinion, it's a fact. That's why on its own it's generally not accepted for any kind of scientific reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 03:15 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
No. That anecdotal evidence isn't evidence is not an opinion, it's a fact. That's why on its own it's generally not accepted for any kind of scientific reporting.
We aren't splitting atoms over here. We don't really need to apply the scientific method to the point I'm trying to make.

But you are kind of making my point for me. You seem educated, but the fact that you can't process my common sense point leads me to believe your education does not 100% correlate to your smarts.

So I'll say it again, but try to make it easier for you to understand.

Let's say Person A got a BA degree in art history from some state university. They coasted through 5 years, failing many classes, drinking, a partying, and not really giving too much focus to my schooling. But after 5 years, they somehow passed and got a paper degree.

Does that make them more educated than the neighbor down the street who learned to code all by himself (Person B)? No formal education, but he literally taught himself some type of computer language and now makes millions creating games or apps or whatever. Or starts his own business and is now the President/CEO of said company he created from scratch.

Is Person A really more educated? I know this is anecdotal, but this kind of stuff happens all the time. So you can't paint with such a broad brush and make blanket statements that only education equates to smartness. It's absurd.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
We aren't splitting atoms over here. We don't really need to apply the scientific method to the point I'm trying to make.
We aren't splitting atoms, but we are discussing what essentially amounts to social science. And science of any kind requires hard evidence, not personal experiences. The simple fact that you don't like the results the scientific method produces doesn't mean we don't need to apply it.
Quote:
But you are kind of making my point for me. You seem educated, but the fact that you can't process my common sense point leads me to believe your education does not 100% correlate to your smarts.
No, what you're doing is illustrating how the Dunning-Kruger effect works: you've convinced yourself that you're correct and are using false "facts" to "prove" it (actually, you're not even doing that - all you're doing is making vague statements and then attacking me personally and not the points I'm making). Your points are hardly common sense and it's not that I can't process them (though your condescension has been duly noted), it's that I reject their validity.
Quote:
Let's say Person A got a BA degree in art history from some state university. They coasted through 5 years, failing many classes, drinking, a partying, and not really giving too much focus to my schooling. But after 5 years, they somehow passed and got a paper degree.

Does that make them more educated than the neighbor down the street who learned to code all by himself (Person B)? No formal education, but he literally taught himself some type of computer language and now makes millions creating games or apps or whatever. Or starts his own business and is now the President/CEO of said company he created from scratch.
Your ostensible assumption that people B in rural areas outnumber people A in urban areas enough to make rural dwellers, on average, more intelligent, is what I take issue with because the evidence simply isn't there to support it. You clearly have examples of both A and B in your life and you've decided that because of that, this is how things are, in general. But they aren't. And on average, people with university degrees (or that hold jobs that require the exercise of their intellect, hence my reference to proxies) are smarter than those without. You evidently seem to think that rural areas are densely populated by Bill Gates clones - they aren't. If they were, states with whose populations skew more rural wouldn't be among the lowest in every measure that takes education, intelligence and their products such as employment into account.
Quote:
Is Person A really more educated? I know this is anecdotal, but this kind of stuff happens all the time.
Thank you for making my point for me. "Happens all the time" isn't hard evidence. "Happens 55% of the time" would be, but I'd need to see the math to believe it.
Quote:
So you can't paint with such a broad brush and make blanket statements that only education equates to smartness. It's absurd.
I've done no such thing. Blanket statements are your prerogative, not mine. All I've said is that urban areas are, on average, "smarter" than rural ones. In fact, I, unlike you, can prove it with actual science (so could you, with a simple Google search). A study performed in 1979 (yes, it was a while back, but it's not like rural America has become a paragon of advancement since then) observed the migration patterns of Americans between different types of locations and determined that the smartest people moved away from rural areas to urban ones - which directly refutes Walter Grey's statement - and then to the suburbs (which are, still, by definition, typically located pretty close to major cities).

Last edited by highlanderfil; 12-07-2023 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-20-2023, 05:03 PM

121 posts, read 96,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
After the death of St. George Floyd, the city allowed peeps to riot, vandalize, commit arson, and assault non-rioters in the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw the aftermath, and I understand the rioters pretty much had free reign and the vast majority never suffered any legal consequences.

And now after the demoralizing and de-funding of police, crime is up and car thefts are ridiculous, due to little or no consequences for the "youths." My kid there now has a $6/mo fee added on to her auto insurance for "car theft reduction" programs, or some such.

On Sunday morning she parked near the uptown area, and fed the meter. Meter was a few minutes past time, and she returned to her car to find a $45 parking citation. Parking enforcement must have been there within a minute of her time expiring. This is not hyperbole because I was with her and know the time she put an hour on meter. And time we returned.

Great priorities, city of Minneapolis. Mayhem to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars is A-OK, and a hard-working model citizen gets a BS parking fine of more money than almost any of the anarchist cretins got dinged for in 2020. The few that were even arrested. Clown World of the upper midwest.
So glad I moved to Tampa. Minneapolis is such a dump. Such a cult like thought process because there is no other major metropolitan area in the vicinity for hundreds and hundreds of miles to be influenced by. It truly feels like a cult of extremists.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
So glad I moved to Tampa. Minneapolis is such a dump. Such a cult like thought process because there is no other major metropolitan area in the vicinity for hundreds and hundreds of miles to be influenced by. It truly feels like a cult of extremists.
To hear this from a newly-minted resident of a state run by Ron DeSantis would be hilarious if you had an ounce of self-awareness to realize why that's the case. But, alas.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:00 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
No, clearly not, because, like most lefties I enjoy living in a war zone. More chaos, please!

(See what happens when you keep going down the reductio ad absurdum rabbit hole?)
It's all just fun and games right?

Old 12-27-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's all just fun and games right?
As the ostensible subject matter expert, you tell me.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:27 AM

147 posts, read 142,922 times
Mods, its time to lock this thread. It's sad when city-data turns into a place for chicken-fighting while reddit takes 1st place as the local discussion forum (with all the corruptness that goes with it).

Old 12-31-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
Mods, its time to lock this thread. It's sad when city-data turns into a place for chicken-fighting while reddit takes 1st place as the local discussion forum (with all the corruptness that goes with it).
It was time to lock this thread after the very first post. Its tone and subject matter didn't exactly set it up for success.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:59 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
It was time to lock this thread after the very first post. Its tone and subject matter didn't exactly set it up for success.
Yes, agreed. Someone named 'mrkool' came looking to provoke.

Not a fan of Metered Parking myself but I seriously wouldn't look to share my grief. On the other hand I quite enjoy a fragrant hotel room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul