Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 62,777 times

Advertisements

Hi my first post here. My husband just bought us a house on the 4xxx block of 4th Ave S in minneapolis, and the street seems kinda run down. I am from Seattle originally and moved to the Lake Nokomis/Keewaydin area of Mpls 7 years ago and have not lived anywhere else in MPLS since.

To be honest, I'm not happy about the prospective move.. it seems like the house on 4th is on the edge of "the hood" with low income housing on the next block and graffiti on the buildings on that block. (not on the block the house is on)

Realistically how concerned should I be about crime in that area? In the neighborhood we live in now (keewaydin) we haven't locked our door for 7 years. I don't expect that luxury in our new house, but should I take extra security precautions being home alone with my son for 2 weeks at a time? If yes? like what?

Also, I am a massage therapist and have always worked from home. My clients feel very comfortable coming to my current (keewaydin) neighborhood.. If you were a perspective client would giving you a 4th ave S address be a deterrent?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I am very stressed out over the change in neighborhood.

Thank you,
MsCrash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
You're right, much of 4th Ave S is kind of run down. You gave the address as 4xxx and I think that second digit is going to make some difference. I'm not so sure that there's a lot of crime there but it's a relatively poor area compared to areas east and west of there and that's going to be an issue. You might check the crime reports for more details.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
The 4000's do seem to be a transitional area, as the 3000's are more problematic. I don't know enough to comment any further, but I suggest you spend some time driving/walking around the area where you will be living and get to know it much better before passing judgements or making rash decisions.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,491 times
So how much effort does it take to lock a door? I grew up in a remote part of Wisconsin in the country and we still locked our doors. It is common sense. Minneapolis isn't Mayberry, that's for sure.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You're right, much of 4th Ave S is kind of run down. You gave the address as 4xxx and I think that second digit is going to make some difference. I'm not so sure that there's a lot of crime there but it's a relatively poor area compared to areas east and west of there and that's going to be an issue. You might check the crime reports for more details.
South of 46th is ok. North of 46th Street is not where I would want to buy a house.

Yup, 2nd digit of that address is very important to the impression of what the neighborhood is.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrash View Post
Hi my first post here. My husband just bought us a house on the 4xxx block of 4th Ave S in minneapolis, and the street seems kinda run down. I am from Seattle originally and moved to the Lake Nokomis/Keewaydin area of Mpls 7 years ago and have not lived anywhere else in MPLS since.

To be honest, I'm not happy about the prospective move.. it seems like the house on 4th is on the edge of "the hood" with low income housing on the next block and graffiti on the buildings on that block. (not on the block the house is on)

Realistically how concerned should I be about crime in that area? In the neighborhood we live in now (keewaydin) we haven't locked our door for 7 years. I don't expect that luxury in our new house, but should I take extra security precautions being home alone with my son for 2 weeks at a time? If yes? like what?

Also, I am a massage therapist and have always worked from home. My clients feel very comfortable coming to my current (keewaydin) neighborhood.. If you were a perspective client would giving you a 4th ave S address be a deterrent?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I am very stressed out over the change in neighborhood.

Thank you,
MsCrash
Ok , so you work in the healing arts, therefore I assume that you are in touch with vibrations and energies of people, places, and things. I will be blunt and state that the energy of the location of the house won't be that good if it is north of 46th Street. It will get much better the closer to the Minnehaha Creek it is. Plus, 4th Ave S is a busy street and that can detract from positive energy.

So what is your vibe of the place? I have a feeling that it isn't that great and that is why you have posted. I trust instincts and vibes all of the time. Energy imprints are left from what came before.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM

The neighborhood of Nokomis has a much more positive energy. I am sorry that you are going through this and wish that you had some say in the purchase of the house.

In regards to how your clients may feel about the neighborhood, I am not qualified to estimate that because I think hanging out in East LA is a cultural experience that no one should miss. The murals and the food!! Personally, your address wouldn't scare me, but some white chick from Edina may quite likely have second thoughts about the safety of the SUV in your "hood".

Last edited by lalife; 05-12-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the feedback everyone. We have spent time every day this week in the new neighborhood and I'm getting used to it. Everyone we talked to said it is a real nice neighborhood "now that they ran the riff-raff out" The folks seem friendly, and if it wasn't for the appearance of the area a block north of us, I'd be completely happy with the location.

My only remaining concern is that my clients won't feel comfortable parking their cars on 4th ave. Our house is the last one on the block before "the ghetto/low income housing" area which you can see from in front of the house. :-( It's by no means North Minneapolis ghetto, just a little run down.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what will happen with my business until the move. Wish me luck.

Thanks,
MsCrash

Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,830,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrash View Post
It's by no means North Minneapolis ghetto, just a little run down.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what will happen with my business until the move. Wish me luck.
Laughing out loud- well you can trust that this North Minneapolis resident won't be patronizing your massage therapy business- not so much because of your disparaging remarks about the area of town I live in (ever heard that saying about "those who live in glass houses"...?), moreso because we have an amazing massage therapist in a nice little business node a few blocks away (Doorway to Massage Therapy- they also have a DT Mpls location). Good luck!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Camden Northsider - I didn't mean to offend - we looked at several houses in the Camden neighborhood of N. Minneapolis. The area north of Dowling is very nice and has some beautiful homes. The reason my husband didn't buy there is there aren't as many coffee shops/supermarkets/gyms in close proximity to the homes as there are in South Mpls. So I didn't mean that ALL of North Minneapolis is a ghetto.

But to be very blunt the Neighborhoods between and on Broadway/Lowry/Dowling/Penn ARE ghetto and have lots of gunshots and crime. We checked the crime maps and talked to neighbors and police in the area and this was confirmed.. by actual research.. not simply rumor or reputation. That's the area I was referring to in my "North Minneapolis Ghetto" statement.

So yes, I guess I am now in position of being in a Glass House -- on the edge of the "southside ghetto" and am hoping that my clients will not be scared to park their cars on the street or in my alley-driveway. I am hoping that a fence and some colorful landscaping will help with curb appeal and overall first impressions... sigh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul