Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times

Advertisements

The left wing lunatics are pushing to defund the Minneapolis PD. This could be an interesting experiment. A lot of these white liberals who are buying into this nonsense might be in for a very rude awakening.

Last edited by BBMW; 06-06-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Missing punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 08:21 PM

38 posts, read 30,383 times
They might change their minds when the "protests" come to Lake of the Isles and Linden Hills.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:09 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
I'm neither democrat or republican. Defunding the police is stupid because there's nothing there to replace it. The call should be for reform and better training among other things.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:33 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
There is a call from some Minneapolis City Council members to disband the police and replace it with a different public safety model but this is not supported by the mayor. From what I’ve seen it would essential result in an overhaul. Nobody is advocating for a ‘policeless’ city.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:14 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Some of my neighbors are already in full vigilante mode, coordinating their activities on the Kingfield pages of Facebook and NextDoor.

The other day, a local garage owner moved a vehicle to the street so he could work on another car. Neighbors didn’t recognize it and instead of reporting it to 911, they slashed three of its tires. Because, as everyone knows, “white supremacists” drive pick ups. The garage owner was like WTF now I have to buy my long time customer three new tires and who’s going to patronize a garage where the vehicles are vandalized.

This is not an isolated incident. Those pages are full of posts describing vehicles of friends and relatives visiting the neighborhood, pleading with people to not slash the tires. The neighborhood association even distributed window stickers to residents so people could identify local vehicles.

If this is how the community deals with suspicious vehicle reports, what will they do with actual criminals? The role of the police is to ensure that the accused receive due process. The mob seems ill equipped to fill that role.

Minneapolis city government is incredibly inept, incompetent, and ideological but most of it is just silly virtue signaling. Now with this idea to defund the police, they have veered into dangerous territory.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:10 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
There is a call from some Minneapolis City Council members to disband the police and replace it with a different public safety model but this is not supported by the mayor. From what I’ve seen it would essential result in an overhaul. Nobody is advocating for a ‘policeless’ city.
Mayor Frey proved that he's not a total idiot by actually showing some guts in front of the mob in publicly stating that he isn't for scrapping/de-funding the police department.

A regiment of re-training the force may be in place. I'd say that's in line, go for it. As based on some OBVIOUS tactics used, they need it. You don't "scrap" the police force. That's just plain knee-jerk stupidity.

A large portion of the accumulating mob now, have no idea what they want. They just want to be fed slogans to chant. After being crammed in isolation for several months due to the Covid 19 situation, this has I'm afraid (for many of them), been an opportunity to socialize and work off frustrations, about everything.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:28 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Mayor Frey proved that he's not a total idiot by actually showing some guts in front of the mob in publicly stating that he isn't for scrapping/de-funding the police department.

A regiment of re-training the force may be in place. I'd say that's in line, go for it. As based on some OBVIOUS tactics used, they need it. You don't "scrap" the police force. That's just plain knee-jerk stupidity.

A large portion of the accumulating mob now, have no idea what they want. They just want to be fed slogans to chant. After being crammed in isolation for several months due to the Covid 19 situation, this has I'm afraid (for many of them), been an opportunity to socialize and work off frustrations, about everything.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. What they're proposing isn't logical or sound but let's chant "Hey, hey, ho, ho, the police department has got to go." Okay, what will be the logistics of this next security installment and what are the financial ins and out of it or will it be volunteering based? I feel some people are taking that 2 or 3 miles when the discussion was about quickly inching towards reform.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:44 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
This will lead to what I expect to happen - a consolidation of power at the Federal level as we creep our way to total disenfranchisement.

There've been murmurings of this for at least a decade now. National riots will give the idea an extra appeal.

If the rioters didn't like the local police just wait until they meet the National police.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:30 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
The Minneapolis mayor acted like such a doofus on the television the other night. The electorate of the place should be ashamed they could't come up with a more competent person to lead them.

All I can say is that your city requires a lot of prayer.

Defunding the police will be like the start of the demise of modern society. It'd be a good science fiction book subject--projecting what the city will be like in 10 years.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

Defunding the police will be like the start of the demise of modern society. It'd be a good science fiction book subject--projecting what the city will be like in 10 years.
Think larger - what will happen after the defunding? And after that? And after that?

Whether intentional or not national loosening of the reins, given the flow of predictable human behavior predicts a higher level of authority will eventually claim that "taking care of us all" is necessary.

if you doubt this study the historical flow of democratic societies. People are more predictable than most of us imagine.

The riots will be used as an excuse that there are those among us unable to curb antisocial behavior (which is true) and others susceptible to following the group (which also is true) who naturally have to be controlled because they won't willingly do it themselves. We used to do this naturally in homogenous societies with a number of social values which are now invalid. In very homogenous societies like the small town in which I grew up we had no police at all and any crime which took place was hidden in the home.

Ever wonder why they didn't put an end to the criminal behavior immediately? They could have, you know, and simply with little damage to people. They the have sophisticated psychotronic weaponry available. They've been testing it on the public unbeknownst at least since the Sixties.

We will welcome a centralized police force as a reliable standardization of laws and consequences promising equality in administering the law but we will continue to have even less say in government if it happens. Then it will become truly dangerous for the freedoms of every citizen.

Part of the reason for this is that people still believe that they are getting the party they voted for but that no longer holds true. That went out the window the day that Kennedy was assassinated. Maybe before that.

We aren't served by Democrats or Republicans. We are ruled by Big Business and have been for decades. All the rest is window dressing for the masses, like a ball game, rooting for your team. Most of us play along because it's human nature.

Thinking outside the box might be a good idea right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul