Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 07:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not as much as she loves to troll
I was born in Minnesota, and live next to it. Wouldn't one think I might have an interest? I do think the city is smug...they are. Don't call me a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 07:40 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
How many big corporations are based in the city itself? If they immediately announced they'll leave if the city shuts down the PD, that would put huge pressure on the city council to can this nonsense

Old 06-07-2020, 07:42 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m making a prediction. If this goes into effect I predict property insurance rates will skyrocket, violent crime rates will increase, more businesses will close, unemployment rates will increase, tax revenue will drop, taxes will be increased because of the reduction in revenue, those who are capable will move away, police officers will apply for work in other areas and quit as soon as they’re hired, politicians in the council will blame Trump.
If insurance companies will still write policies on properties where there's no police (all news reports I've seen say disband the police) and the government won't stop riots.

Rich people will hire private security, poor people will have gangs, middle class will leave.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Who voted these morons into office?

Old 06-07-2020, 07:48 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,253 times
I can see this concept coming to other cities as well.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:10 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Who voted these morons into office?
Same type of folks who voted for Bill de Blasio and the crew you have in NYC.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The police union, like most public sector unions, has opposed real reform and civilian control for years. Disbanding/ defunding the police department is likely a union busting technique. That is basically what Camden NJ did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ice-department

I have no idea if something like this can be done in Minneapolis. For one thing, I am not sure Hennepin County is willing to take on the headaches of policing Minneapolis, nor am I convinced that the city officials should be allowed to abdicate their responsibility for managing, training, and disciplining the police force.

The city council has not at all articulated when they mean by disbanding the police or what, if any, plans they have for the future, but they are incompetent ideologues so I really don’t expect much from that crowd.
Camden did the exact opposite of "defunding". They doubled the amount of cops in the city. It was a way to be able to afford the price tag of DOUBLING their needed head count. What they did was not what citizens are calling for when they say they want to "defund" the police.

To even try and make the same connection is beyond nonsensical. I mean, I can't even.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:22 PM

33 posts, read 31,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The Minneapolis mayor acted like such a doofus on the television the other night.
Both the mayors of Mpls and St Paul are in way over their heads. Only difference is the St Paul mayor looks and sounds better which is why he's making the rounds on cable news shows and Frey is getting raked over the coals by Trump. Neither one of them know what they're doing. Neither one of them have a plan that's really based on experience, evidence and support from the people. Right now, the proper leadership would be for the two mayors there to be on the same page. In regards to policing, racial issues and other things like homelessness or drug problems etc they need to have the SAME plans. Because now everyone's tearing apart Frey when Carter doesn't say a THING that translates into 'this is gonna happen and that is that'. It's nothing but 'his dad was a cop' or 'he's the first black mayor of St Paul' - while those things are nice, just being black doesn't mean he knows how to fix racial problems or class differences or all those things that a larger city has going on. I don't know how much Carter and Frey communicate, but I haven't seen anything cohesive yet.

I don't see this getting any better. I hope someone else with a lot more experience can take over Mpls and St Paul. Because right now Frey especially is in a terrible position. He can not let BLM just come in and take over. The shutdowns and riots are gonna look like an episode of Winnie the Pooh compared to the thousands of residents and businesses who will move out of Minneapolis immediately if they sense this is going downhill.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:23 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Just the fact they threatened this is going to have immense impacts for the city. People will be moving out in droves. Businesses will be next. Wealthy are already on the way out. They will have effectively built themselves the poorest, most violent city in America.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I don't know how much tourism and convention business Minneapolis gets but I'm sure it will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul