Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM

421 posts, read 3,224,395 times

Advertisements

could someone please post a pic of South West Ranches ? C.G is just lovely. I'd love to see what S.W Ranches looks like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
could someone please post a pic of South West Ranches ? C.G is just lovely. I'd love to see what S.W Ranches looks like
No pics, but to give you an idea, it basically looks like the exurban area an hour outside of any major city, except it's surrounded by typical South Florida suburban swath and it's closer to civilization. It looks out of place in South Florida but looks "typical" to areas outside most other cities.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I would think the lush landscaping and beautiful Spanish-Mediterranean architecture (very California) would be quite popular, but oddly that doesn't seem to be the case judging by the lack of imitators. Are there other areas/neighborhoods that look like that?
Miami Springs is a designated "Tree City," as well as a bird sanctuary that attracts birders from all over the world. Some have referred to Miami Springs as a "mini Gables," but it's not as upscale as Coral Gables. Maybe a middle class version of Coral Gables.

Miami Springs' historic homes also have a prominent Pueblo-themed architecture, as it was the original plan of its founder, Glenn Hammond Curtiss, to create a community with this "look." However, many of the newer homes do have the Spanish-mediterranian architecture. I don't think the area can compare with the beauty of Coral Gables, though.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,555 times
"could someone please post a pic of South West Ranches ? C.G is just lovely. I'd love to see what S.W Ranches looks like"

I'll try to get some pictures for you. SouthWest Ranches has homes with larger lots/acres. It is a hodgepodge mansions of the well-to-do (people who bought property and tore down perfectly good homes), and on the flip-side has older more modest homes. Very limited street lights to keep a rural/country feel. Some streets have speed bumps to keep traffic speeds down, and keep out other people who don't live there. Stirling road has a canal that runs along it part ways. Totally dangerous, but I suppose it lends it's rural charm, especially all the places that have crosses on them where people died in car accidents (OK, I will be good now, sorry).

Last edited by lauralei2; 02-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: additional text

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I think the OP was mostly referring to the architecture of Gables neighborhoods. I would say that, yes, if referring to the architecture and general feel of the neighborhoods, it is unique in the Miami area. Coconut Grove has some as well. I would say that these two neighborhoods are the closest you get to having a 'historic district' neighborhood in Miami, and that is why they are so unique. I wouldn't say that Pinecrest or Southwest Ranches have the same feel to them. Here is some history from the City Beautiful website: City of Coral Gables Web Site (http://www.citybeautiful.net/CGWeb/cgpastpresf.aspx - broken link). Historic preservation is not a big priority for the local government in Miami-Dade, so most neighborhoods are more modern and some post-WWII (the big exception being Miami Beach).

(By the way, I grew up and lived all but about 4.5 years of my life in Miami with parents still there, so don't think I'm just some flake since I don't currently live there )

Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM

60 posts, read 284,263 times
Coral Gables is truly unique. All the newer areas look exactly the same. What is the difference in houses and architecture between Weston, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Kendall, West Miami, Homestead???? Not much as far as houses go. Their are big differences in those cities and some are more desirable than others, but they all look pretty much the same with their private communities which keep the residents locked away from the others. Granted an area like Weston is very beautiful and has many trees, it is just not the same like Coral Gables.

Coral Gables is quite different and very beautiful. They just don't make cities like that anymore and they don't build houses that way anymore either. Drive around the streets and you'll see what I mean. It is truly a great city and area.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post

Coral Gables is unique in the U.S. ... the only area that is similar that comes to mind is Brentwood in Los Angeles ... and like Brentwood it is an oasis surrounded by not so nice areas .... South West Ranches is nothing like Coral Gables ... it is just a hodge podge of large homes on large lots some with stables for your horses ... some nice some not so nice ... there are hundreds of communities in the U.S. just like South West Ranches .... Coral Gables is unique and in South Florida only parts of Palm Beach , Naples and Miami Shores have a similar look and feel .

Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Well, I would not say that Brentwood and Coral Gables are oases surrounded by not-so-nice areas (most neighborhoods surrounding both are, in my opinion, nice) but I would agree with you that Coral Gables is a very unique place without comparison to many others. I'm always surprised when people on this site recommend non-descript places like Pembroke Pines, Miramar, and Cooper City over Coral Gables. Coral Gables has a beautiful, walkable downtown, one of the few in the state, and the architecture both in the business district and the surrounding residential neighborhoods is detailed and unique. The lush vegetation is just the icing on the cake. Outside of the eastern parts of Miami Shores, small parts of Miami Beach, and some coastal neighborhoods in Palm Beach (like musclehead has said), Coral Gables is like very few places.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Coral gables is unique because of its non-grid layout, and I would go further to say the median income makes it unique. Why so few imitators? Because people seem to think newer is better, so due to supply and demand, people want new cookie cutter homes, so these homes get built. Hence theabundance of newer, walled communities, and so few gables wanna be's.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
I would say Coral Gables is most definitely unique in the U.S. Like others have said, Coral Gables doesn't follow the Miami Grid and the majority, if not all its streets have names not numbers. Most importantly though, the neighborhood is essentially a park city. Almost all Coral Gables streets have a heavy street canopy with big shade trees. These were mostly planted in the 1920s when Coral Gables was planned and built.

The best thing about Coral Gables is its architecture. There are many different styles of homes and no two homes are the same. No cookie cutter and all the homes have character and history, since most of them are really old. The average Coral Gables resident is also very affluent, so it's known to be a neighborhood for the wealthy, and as such, there are a variety of upscale shopping streets (Miracle Mile and Merrick Park).

What else? It's also a great place for kids, since there are many parks. Also good for jogging and outdoor activities and overall, it's a really wholesome place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami