Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 AM

14 posts, read 46,018 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are relocating to Miami. I am English my husband American ( 2 children under 7). I am used to around London and walk about areas, little cafes, small grocery stores, green parks, families etc, I really want to live in a walkabout area, for families, with access to a grocery store, cafe etc on foot! Is this lifestyle available??? I hear Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Coconut Grove are very nice, but could I get this lifestyle there. I really do not want to have to drive to get everything. Some info on this would be great. My challange is to find this an an amazing elementary school! Very excited but scared about move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Try these threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ols-miami.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...kids-need.html

Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Elementary schools

Thanks, taken a look, not really sure what are the ELEMENTARY schools other that Epiphony south miami., a lot of info on high school. If anyone has specific info on private elementary, which are best etc, would be very grateful.
thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Default walkabout/family areas

also very interested to know which are the upscale walkabout family areas. When we move we really want to be able to also walk to a cafe or grocery store??? is this possible?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Gulliver, Westminster Christian, Carollton, Epiphany all have elementary schools.

Miami doesn't have many areas that you could say are walkable, you have to remember Miami is a car city. But we do have a few parts you could probably walk to cafes or the grocery store if you live close enough (though you may find doing this from Mid-May through October isn't that nice outside). That said Coral Gables, South Miami, Key Biscayne, Brickell, Surfside, Coconut Grove, Aventura, Bal Harbour, downtown Kendall (only if you lived in the highrises near the metrorail), and South Beach are pretty much the main areas that will give you a little of what you are looking for. It still will not be like London, Paris, Berlin, New York City, you will need a car most likely.

Now you have to remember you will have to live in certain parts of these areas if you want to be in walking distance to things. Even in Coral Gables there are parts that you couldn't walk to the grocery store from. Pinecrest has great Public Schools but it isn't a walkable place like you are looking for, you will need to drive to the cafes and drive to the grocery store most likely.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM

261 posts, read 397,247 times
nice areas are coral gables, coconut grove, pinecrest and palmetto bay if you can afford to live there....

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 AM

Thank you, I will certainly look at these.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
South Miami has a nice, small downtown area with shops, restaurants, etc. You could walk to it or ride a bicycle.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Coconut Grove Near Coco Walk. South Miami near Red Road.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,804 times
I recommend South Miami or adjacent parts of Coral Gables across from Red Road. Relatively walkable by Miami standards, and you've also got access to Metrorail if you're brave enough to cross US1. Definitely Stay east of US1. Downtown Coral Gables is another possibility. South Beach or North Beach could work, but it's more of a party atmosphere (esp. south) and I'm not sure how good the schools are there. Are you looking for a house or condo/apartment? Because if it's a house, it will be very expensive in these areas! Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami