Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

Okay, great. I'm glad to hear this perspective, it will definitely affect my decision. I am not a fan of NYC and have lived in "city" environments before and have not enjoyed it. So, the suburbaness of LI was attractive to me, and since my boyfriend loves NYC, being close was attractive for him. If I they offer it and I decide to go, I will definitely make sure I'm well compensated. It's a product design job. The field is super competitive and you're more likely to get a good job if you've worked at a big name company, which is why I am considering the move. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

428 posts, read 970,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescher View Post
Okay, great. I'm glad to hear this perspective, it will definitely affect my decision. I am not a fan of NYC and have lived in "city" environments before and have not enjoyed it. So, the suburbaness of LI was attractive to me, and since my boyfriend loves NYC, being close was attractive for him. If I they offer it and I decide to go, I will definitely make sure I'm well compensated. It's a product design job. The field is super competitive and you're more likely to get a good job if you've worked at a big name company, which is why I am considering the move. Thanks all!
no problem. If I were you, I'd move. There are lots of fun neighborhoods in L.I. And you're close enough to the city to get your fix if you wanted (or far enough to stay away). Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM

68 posts, read 199,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
no problem. If I were you, I'd move. There are lots of fun neighborhoods in L.I. And you're close enough to the city to get your fix if you wanted (or far enough to stay away). Good Luck!
Yeah. There is always "something" to do, even if one doesn't want to venture into NYC. LI is good for that.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,281,448 times
Which company did you interview with in Bay Shore?

There are a number of 1br apartments available in Bay Shore in your price range at any given time and occasionally a 2br, though as someone else mentioned, most of the good deals will involve in-house apartments rather than complex apartments. I've lived here most of my life, so if you find an apartment you're interested in, post the details here and I can let you know whether or not it's in a decent neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
If you are just starting out and working for this company would give you good experience and look good on your resume, I would take it, even if you barely break even. As someone else said, salaries on LI are lower than in Manhattan. You will need a car here and car insurance will be more expensive as will gas and electric, car maintenance and gasoline. Bayshore is definitely not city. One novelty for you will be living close to the ocean and being able to hop on the ferry to Fire Island. There's plenty to do but you have to look for it and drive to it. It's not on your doorstep like it is in Manhattan. As you know, there are plenty of eyesore areas in Cleveland too. It will be an adjustment, but I don't think it will be a super huge adjustment since you are coming from Cleveland.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM

429 posts, read 854,066 times
Since you said you like the suburbs better than the city and you've found a job/company that you think would help your career, I'd go for it.

Being a Long Islander, I graduated from college and got an entry level job in my field in NYC. I barely made enough to afford my commute into manhattan, I sold my car and I stayed home for a couple of years to save up while I paid my student loans. 7 years later, I'm making about double what I was when I started working and I'm newly-married and just purchased my first house on Long Island.

Sometimes we make sacrifices now to get ahead later. I'd never discourage someone from making moves to further their career, even if it might be difficult for a little while. Yes, Long Island is expensive, but maybe the earning potential for your field is higher here than it is in Cleveland. In fact, I'd venture a guess that it is, since most creativetechnological/ fields are more lucrative in or around NYC than elsewhere.

You can find a decent apartment near Bayshore in your price range. You'd have to pay for a car, but it's really no different than if you lived on LI and needed to pay for train tickets to get into NYC.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
You are better off in the city for product design. You'll make more $$ too. You can live on LI and still work in NYC- lots of people do it.

LI is really only good for work if you are a cop or teacher ($$$$$) but it's an amazing place to live.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM

67 posts, read 111,098 times
$48K for an entry level position in LI? Uh huh. I see people are at it again.

On the off chance this post is real, why in the world anyone would move to Long Island to take a job is BEYOND me. NYC? OK, can see it. Long Island? No.

$38K in Cleveland v. $48K in LI is the difference between living nice and living in borderline poverty. If you take the job, plan on it as a way-station to bump up the salary and experience for the future OFF Long Island.

Bay Shore is gross by the way. Don't live there. If you're from Cleveland, trust me on this.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
$48K for an entry level position in LI? Uh huh. I see people are at it again.

On the off chance this post is real, why in the world anyone would move to Long Island to take a job is BEYOND me. NYC? OK, can see it. Long Island? No.

$38K in Cleveland v. $48K in LI is the difference between living nice and living in borderline poverty. If you take the job, plan on it as a way-station to bump up the salary and experience for the future OFF Long Island.

Bay Shore is gross by the way. Don't live there. If you're from Cleveland, trust me on this.
I agree. I think $48k is a longshot.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,536 times
According to the CNN COL calculator, you're going to need to be making at least $54k to live a similar lifestyle on Long Island that you're living now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island