Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 AM

232 posts, read 1,722,912 times

Advertisements

Okay, here goes...

I am currently looking at a job that could result in a move to the New York area. I am interested in Long Island. I have a few questions that I would appreciate any input on.

1. What are some nice areas for a family of five? I want good schools, and would love to be in an area that has a sense of place and community, if that makes any sense. I've never really visited L.I, but from what I've been told and seen on television, there are many different areas, some of which seem sort of quaint to be so close to NYC. I'd like to be no more than 30 miles or so from NYC.

2. Could someone elaborate on commuter options into Manhattan? Cost, practicallity, and ease of use.

3. Here is a big one. I have spent all my life in the south. Therefore, I have somewhat of a genuine southern accent. We (as well as my family) would not be confused with the beverly hillbillies, but I'm a little apprehensive as to how we would be recieved here. I have a perception of being shunned to an extent by locals as I've heard they aren't very receptive to "outsiders".

4. What can I expect to pay for quality daycare for a 4 year old and 2 year old?

5. What should I expect to pay for rent on a decent 3-4 bedroom house? Is it pretty doable for 2500 or so?

Any other input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
Your kids will pick up a NY accent or at least lose their southern accent in no time at all. You won't be shunned by your accent, although you may consider working on losing it.

Not sure about day care prices. Prices vary widely depending if you're going to be in a public day care center (like Tutor Time) or if you're going to go with private day care in someone's home or if you're going to have a babysitter take care of the kids in your home.

A 3-4 BR house for $2500? No, I don't think so.... unless you want to live in an undesirable area. I would say a 3-4 BR house in a good area would go for over 3K plus all utilities..

There are real estate agents on this forum. I'm sure they can give you realistic prices on home rentals in decent areas.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM

You say I won't be shunned by my accent.... will I be shunned by the simple fact that I would be an "outsider"?

By doing some reading, I've developed a little interest in places like Valley Stream and Levittown. Anyone care to offer any insight into these or similar areas?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 AM

You won't be an "outsider". "Lonkylant" is made up of "outsiders".

Valley Stream and Levittown are both okay..... Valley Stream is closer to NYC (maybe a 30 minute LIRR ride)

Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 AM

220 posts, read 1,119,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
You say I won't be shunned by my accent.... will I be shunned by the simple fact that I would be an "outsider"?
I'm from NYC and am an outsider here. I'm not "shunned," but I'm not home. My advice is to visit and see if you like LI, not whether or not LI likes you.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I grew up in Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
I'm from NYC and am an outsider here. I'm not "shunned," but I'm not home. My advice is to visit and see if you like LI, not whether or not LI likes you.
and raised my kids in Smithtown. I never felt like an outsider. Nearly all my neighbors either were from NYC, or their parents were. I lived in Queens for 10 years before we started our family. Actually, I had more problems adjusting to Queens than LI. It didn't feel like NYC (Manhattan), but it wasn't the suburbs either. It was kind of a netherland.

However, where I am now in Florida (not by choice) is a totally alien world for me. I will never adjust to it here.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Yeah, the common thread with a lot of the posters here is that they are from somewhere in the region. Where I live now, Atlanta, there are countless new york transplants, but I just don't hear of many southern relocations to NY. I just have this image of being treated like I am from another planet when my neighbors hear my southern accent.... haha... "" hey, there goes the inbred hillbilly "" (sarcasm)

Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and raised my kids in Smithtown. I never felt like an outsider. Nearly all my neighbors either were from NYC, or their parents were. I lived in Queens for 10 years before we started our family. Actually, I had more problems adjusting to Queens than LI. It didn't feel like NYC (Manhattan), but it wasn't the suburbs either. It was kind of a netherland.

However, where I am now in Florida (not by choice) is a totally alien world for me. I will never adjust to it here.
I assume you live in Naples. I live in southeast Florida where is it called the 6th borough of NY. You would probably like it better here. I don't, but then I'm not from NY. Just a thought.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post

I know exactly what you mean! I moved out here 11 years ago and I have never, ever felt "at home" out here at all and I know I never will. No, I've never been shunned but there is a great difference in people who grew up in NYC and people who are Lonkylanters and I have gotten some weird "attitudes" from people and definitely LI-ers who are clueless to the world outside the 1 square mile bubble they live in.

At this point in my life, the best I can do is try to save some $$$ and hope to get back "home" to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island