Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,474 times

Advertisements

Okay, we are moving to Long Island and are GENERALLY POSITIVE PEOPLE. Now that all the Long Island bashers have scared my poor wife to death, can someone offer some constructive ideas on where to start the house search? Very flexible on location, commuting hours, and we have a horse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 PM

104 posts, read 386,888 times
Congratulations jonk,

If you can afford it, Long Island is great. Otherwise, it will spit you out. Those who don't survive tend to end up in Florida, or North Carolina. Those are the ones who do most of the bashing that you referred to.

Where you start your house search depends on many factors. Some of which are: your budget, how close you want to be to the water, what kind of setting you prefer, where your job is (if applicable), and how much commuting you can handle.

The following is by no means a complete list. Just giving you some basics; you may already be aware of them:

1. The north shore tends to be more expensive than the south shore.
2. The south shore has nicer beaches; more sand, less rocks.
3. The middle of the island will give you better access to commuting into the city.
4. The east end has more farms and open space.
5. The west end is closest to the city and much more urban.
6. The further east you go, the fewer people you will encounter.
7. Generally, the closer to the city you get, the more money you will pay for a house.
8. Property taxes vary, but are generally higher than the national average.

Perhaps talking to a broker is your best bet. They should be able to find you a house based on the criteria you give them.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
Okay, we are moving to Long Island and are GENERALLY POSITIVE PEOPLE. Now that all the Long Island bashers have scared my poor wife to death, can someone offer some constructive ideas on where to start the house search? Very flexible on location, commuting hours, and we have a horse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by New_Yorker; 09-03-2006 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM

42 posts, read 139,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
New Yorker has summed it up for you.
You may want to look at eastern LI (Suffolk County) if you have a horse and need more land.
Also, LI has "neighborhoods" unlike subdivisions in other states.
It's a beautiful place to live.
A trip to the Hamptons in the summer and a trip to NYC during the winter holidays is a MUST!
Best of Luck!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM

12 posts, read 98,323 times
Out east is nice, but the proximity to NY is great, too, if you live in other parts...just be prepared for lots of strip malls.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
If you expect to have "horse property" you need to look at eastern suffolk county, although I think Smithtown still has some houses that are zoned for horses. Long Island is very pricey, but if you can afford it, it has a lot to offer. Most school districts are good, it has proximity to NYC, 3 airports, great beaches, good weather. We don't usually get prolonged massive snowstorms or really brutally prolonged hot weather because the water mediates the temperature. Substantial tornadoes are unheard of. Hurricanes have happened, and we are probably due for one, but by the time it gets so far north, it usually has lost some of its strength.
Good Luck with your search.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 17,991 times
Default moving to LI

Thats weird lol I am moving to Pittsford from Long Island and you are moving here. !st question would be - where will you be working? Townwise I mean and I will advise on what towns to look in based on your answer.

Rob

Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,978 times
I assume you are not working in the city (NYC). You need to be out east for horse property. Smithtown is very expensive. If you are wealthy you will love LI. Best place in the nation to live.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:46 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
hi, Long Island is nice, I grew up in Smithtown,it is really nice, but is verry exspensive now. I currently live in Patchogue, there are some horse properties in my area and it is more reasonable than Smithtown. There are also alot of places to board horses in the areas of Manorville, Medford and some parts of Coram. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 15,311 times
Try Bohemia, they are very horse friendly and there is a huge equestrian center across the street. You may even find a house there with a stable on the property. Probably one of the best places to live on Long Island if you can afford it. Great schools, neighborhoods, people, and literally in the center of every parkway, expressway, major road, and airport!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 AM

29 posts, read 88,462 times
Long Island is such a beutiful place to live, I live in smithtown all my life,i thought about moving but the benefits of staying here outway moving.such as education,lifestyle,everything you want seconds away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island