Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,672,752 times

Advertisements

Around 1980, I used to come visit Hicksville to see a college friend of mine. Place seemed quite sedate - the kind of place where I'd watch how I acted so as not to bring police attention down on me.

Not long ago, I moved back to this very same area. I used to go into this bar that shall remain nameless, though anyone familiar with Hicksville would know it. It seemed like the ladies' room was always busy. Naive me asks, "what's up with that?" and I hear, "Oh, that's just ____ selling his stuff."

Yeah, stuff. Crack cocaine and heroin. I suppose I've led a fairly sheltered life but that's a bit heavy for me. I found someplace else to drink. If I had kids, I'd find another place to live. Soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 AM

5,539 posts, read 7,133,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Around 1980, I used to come visit Hicksville to see a college friend of mine. Place seemed quite sedate - the kind of place where I'd watch how I acted so as not to bring police attention down on me.

Not long ago, I moved back to this very same area. I used to go into this bar that shall remain nameless, though anyone familiar with Hicksville would know it. It seemed like the ladies' room was always busy. Naive me asks, "what's up with that?" and I hear, "Oh, that's just ____ selling his stuff."

Yeah, stuff. Crack cocaine and heroin. I suppose I've led a fairly sheltered life but that's a bit heavy for me. I found someplace else to drink. If I had kids, I'd find another place to live. Soon.

There is much more to Long Island then the crack bars you hang out in. This is twice now on this very thread where your ranting about how terrible Long Island is. Why are you still here? There must be something positive about Long Island for you to still be living here? Otherwise if you have nothing good to say about Long Island then leave.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 26,593 times
Default Crack bars

I appreciate the advice telling my family to move. Its all about denial ....what Ive seen in the last few months is crazy. I am always defending Long Island to my husband but when I am standing in line at the local Target with my kids.... and I hear put your gun away and I hear that a crack head rang my neighbor's bell thinking their husband wasnt home .......I could go on and on and on . There are little nuisances like people selling jewelry out of boxes to big things like crime and the gang ms13 . I have seen such a difference in this town you would never want to believe it....as I said there have been 3 murders here in the last couple of months but on news 12 they are only interested in whats hot in the hamptons and the weather. Sorry but its true. Its not even opinion, its truth. The beaches are beautiful ....Bayville Brookville , all those area are beautiful but not Central Nassau. Theres a lot of hidden stuff going on.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 PM

262 posts, read 1,233,398 times
Overall, Long Island is a great place to live. I've done my share of complaining about it on this forum but all in all I do love it. There are pockets of areas to stay away from but that's no different than any other place, especially when you are so close to a major city such as NY. If you are interested in a particular area, just check it out thoroughly first. A forum like this is a good place to start.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 26,593 times
Default Another point of moving to Long Island

A good indicator of how a town is ...is the school district , test scores and high school graduation rates. Even if you dont have kids ....usually well run schools suggest a town that is worth moving into. Greatschools.net is a good place to check that out.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 AM

491 posts, read 830,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimarie View Post
A good indicator of how a town is ...is the school district , test scores and high school graduation rates.
It does help somewhat but not True, people in Long Island are so busy working or watching 8PM crap on there Plasma TV's the have no time to vote, watch, read or fight as all these new polititions sell our both or history and future.
.....many Sheeple!

They been dropping the requirements so all the immigrants, hordes of 3rd world ESL students and kids from NYC public schools can pass. The school systems are FLOODING, they need to pass them through.

A buddy of mine is a teacher in The Town of North Hempstead. He had failed 2 kids after repeated please to there parents (who only spoke Spanish) to get there kids “under control” (they were even lighting up in the classroom). The mothers through a translator didn’t seems care said they were normal boys and threatened to call a lawyer.

The School District is now using him (the teacher) as a BBQ skewer.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Wink Moving to Long Island

Ridge is a nice town with many horse properties and trails through the Pine Barrens

Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,672,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
There is much more to Long Island then the crack bars you hang out in. This is twice now on this very thread where your ranting about how terrible Long Island is. Why are you still here? There must be something positive about Long Island for you to still be living here? Otherwise if you have nothing good to say about Long Island then leave.
Yes, charming people like you must be one of the positive things about this charming...place.

There's two positive things about here: 1) I work here 2) my girlfriend is from here and likes it, for some reason.

How you got from what I said to what you said is a little puzzling. Long Island schools are supposed to be great - perhaps in the area of reading comprehension they could use a little work.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,006 times
Default Why so down on Long Island?

I have lived here 12 years, and I think it is great. I travel alot in the domestic US and have found alot of it is very bland. Long Island is full of culture and I love it. What is everyone's take on Huntington Station? Preferrably closer to Jericho and Oakwood. I am looking at a house over there and it seems nice. I come from Westchester County and lauh at how Long Islanders at times "regionalize" the Island so much: north shore/ south shore, etc

Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 AM

525 posts, read 2,353,206 times
Certainly within the confines of the Station, SW, Jericho/Oakwood Rd is the way to go. But, It is still huntington Station. Have you looked just a bit further north, closer to the Village, South of 25A? I am thinking of Long-term value in the investment, and if you are a single gal I would always worry down in the station. Don't get me wrong, the station has alway been diverse and relatively safe, if there is such a thing anymore! It is still a bit iffy though if you know what I mean.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island