Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,062,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Some districts have UPK, some do not--I think there's a thread on which ones do.
Half Hollow Hills (SD#5) has UPK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM

431 posts, read 1,335,117 times
Most schools only offer team sports in the middles schools which usually run 6-8 grades, and sometimes the 6ths graders can be managers for the teams but dont actually get to play until 7th grade......as for Little league programs I'm pretty sure most towns are involved and have their own teams and play within county districts for tournament ball. Your son is also able to try out for other towns teams also if they are competitive teams outside of the local little league.....there are other leagues called....NJBL or FABL or a place called Baseball Heaven in Suffolk county....(my son has played here 2 seasons competively and the place is top notch) these three leagues are considered Independant leagues.....

I'm sure you could look up the info online....we are in suffolk county so I don't know much about Nassau which the towns you mentioned are located in but I do know that in the independant leagues we did play against Nassau teams.....but if you are interested in these there will be traveling possibly thruout long island......

I personally dont think your children or you will find any problems moving here.....Long Island has started to become more diverse and open however there are towns that are happy being closed off from others and will probably stay the way they've always been...There are plenty of towns on long island that have diversity where one race doesnt overwhelm the others.......

I think its an honest ? I felt the same way when we started looking for our new home down south....we currently live in a very white community......I'm the type of person I don't care if you are green or purple until you do something to me or someone I love then we are fine, but moving to an unknown area I wanted my kids to grow up with diversity like the real world but also didnt want to put them in a position where they stood out like the minority...It's an honest question and concern when you are looking out for the best of your kids....

I hope you find a place that your family can call home.........

Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,593,884 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream & Levittown

Some of the folks making comments on this thread have used the colloquial 'town' to refer to villages and hamlets that are themselves within towns. http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html will help you understand the difference between villages and hamlets and towns.

Turning to the two communities that you indicated that you were interested in: Valley Stream is a village and Levittown is a hamlet, and they are both in the Town of Hempstead.

When looking in Valley Stream, you should be aware that the "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" ZIP Code postal zone (4,309 acres) is almost twice as large as the Village of Valley Stream (2,258 acres), and hence almost half the places with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address are NOT in the Village of Valley Stream.

The opposite situation prevails in Levittown, and you should be aware that the "Levittown, NY 11756" ZIP Code postal zone (3,815 acres) is smaller than the Hamlet of Levittown (4,621 acres), and hence there are places in the Hamlet of Levittown that have other than a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream & Levittown:

Valley Stream is a village (incorporated in 1925) in the western part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/New York City (County/Borough of Queens) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; on the east by the Village of Malverne, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Hewlett; on the south by the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Hamlet of Woodmere and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and New York City (County/Borough of Queens).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Valley-stream-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream.

Levittown is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line); on the south by the Hamlet of North Wantagh; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of Salisbury.

The Hamlet of Levittown has a different border than does the "Levittown, NY 11756" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Levittown and a place can be in the Hamlet of Levittown and have other than a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address): places that have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Levittown are in the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of Salisbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Levittown that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-18-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
for long island... north bellmore, east meadow, which is in nassau county ... nassau county all the towns are very similar..levittown and massapequa is very populated.... then you have south towns like south merrick and south bellmore which now gets very expensive ... most of the house are right on the water.... i suggest looking north of south bellmore and south merrick just my opinion....

Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,120,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Valley Stream: Choose either School District 24 or 13. As for school information regarding baseball programs and pre-K or after-school programs, you can go to the webpages and find information or the phone numbers to call and ask for information. Here is the webpage for high schools: Valley Stream Central High School District. Here is SD 24's webpage: http://www.valleystreamdistrict24.org/. Here is SD 13's webpage: Valley Stream Union Free District.

VS is a very easy commute to NYC. You could take the N4 bus to the E train and get a free transfer ($2 each way right now). That would take around 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes each way. The LIRR is quicker and Valley Stream has the cheapest LIRR monthly ticket cost (Zone 4, $185).

As for parking at the railroad station, if you live in the Inc. Village of Valley Stream, the parking lot cost is $20 for 2 years. If you don't live in the Inc. Village, it is a lot more ($375 for 1 year), plus there may be a waiting list to get a parking permit. There are also meters at the station where you can pay daily.

It is a well-kept area with amenities such as a park with a pool, walking/biking trail, etc., a good library, excellent shopping, and a well-run Village. There are baseball fields.

Levittown: Levittown, centrally located in Nassau County, is further from NYC than Valley Stream. Levittown does not have a Long Island Rail Road station of its own and bus/subway riding to NYC would take very long from here and would drive you nuts. I am not sure which stations Levittowners use for the LIRR. Maybe someone could chime in.

I have heard the schools in Levittown are nice and that it has a lot of parks, etc., there so there should be plenty of baseball fields too. It is also close to a lot of good shopping.

How about Farmingdale instead.

Not a bad commute at all.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,593,884 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Farmingdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
How about Farmingdale instead.

Not a bad commute at all.

Crooks, bear in mind that Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village, and that the majority of area that has a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address is not in the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County but in the Town of Babylon in Suffolk County in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale.

For those who may not be familiar with Farmingdale:

Farmingdale is a village (incorporated in 1904) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east part of Nassau County along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Old Bethpage; on the east by the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of Bethpage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Farmingdale-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: those places with a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Crooks, bear in mind that Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village, and that the majority of area that has a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address is not in the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County but in the Town of Babylon in Suffolk County in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale.

For those who may not be familiar with Farmingdale:

Farmingdale is a village (incorporated in 1904) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east part of Nassau County along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Old Bethpage; on the east by the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of Bethpage.

Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: those places with a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Interesting....then is any of the village or Farmingdale in Suffolk?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,921,156 times
Nope, it's East Farmingdale. Mostly a commercial-industrial area.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Nope, it's East Farmingdale. Mostly a commercial-industrial area.

So Suny Farmingdale isnt in Farmingdale?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,156,778 times
Something else for the OP to keep in mind:

* If you are used to having central air in your home, you won't find many options with central air here. you will be dealing with window units or wall units for the most part. There are exceptions, but they are rare exceptions.

* Most of the homes on Long Island are Oil heat. While it seems that it doesn't matter so much this year, if the price of oil raises through the roof again, it might cost you an unanticipated fortune to heat your home.

* Pretty much your only commuting option is the Long Island Rail Road or driving. The further away you get from the city, the less expensive the rentals are, but then again, the longer the commute will be.

Is there a reason you've zeroed in on Long Island? Do you have family here? Not to discourage you from moving out here, but have you considered some of the other suburbs - New Jersey and Westchester might be decent areas to look in as well.

Just wanted to throw some more thought onto the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island