Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM

305 posts, read 196,405 times

Advertisements

Works for Washington DC Metro as well as Denver light rail. Why not on here?
Start up costs would be tailoring the platforms to facilitate same.
In long run wouldn't it be wise? Instead of paying exorbitant salaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
Works for Washington DC Metro as well as Denver light rail. Why not on here?
Start up costs would be tailoring the platforms to facilitate same.
In long run wouldn't it be wise? Instead of paying exorbitant salaries?
Because those are subway systems and not FRA regulated railroads.

FRA regulated railroads require at least 1 conductor. LIRR rules require a conductor and a flagman (brakeman)

Plus the added cost of figuring out how to gate all the outlying stations and Penn when its shared with Amtrak make it logistically very hard

Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Fiscal insanity

when a LIRR conductor as per NYT makes $239K. What I've read the recently approved fare increase funds pensions and salaries.

Reforms in the MTA are painfully slow if at all. Would seem to me that in the year 2013 the thought of a person punching paper tickets is tantamount to a human standing at a table instead of vending machine.

Would refitting the LIRR platforms be difficult, probably, in the long run,however,would the refit capture lost fares undoubtedly.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Logistically, its pretty much near impossible. How do you gate off an entire station? Think of stations like Merrilon Avenue that are ground level and adjacent to a road crossing.

The reason why it works for places like DC is that the stations are grade separated (be they underground, or elevated above ground). The few Metro stations that are ground level are isolated enough that it's feasible to gate off the entire station.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Default So we continue the "march of the lemons"

like in the education system.

Except with the LIRR it is the march off the cliff.

We can put drones in the sky thousands of miles away on station for hours at a time, but on Long Island cannot design a train platform ingress/egress.

Not unlike LIPA, MTA-LIRR is poorly run and as such we're getting hosed again and again.

Leadership leading from the front is what is required

Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
We have fare machines at my local station, but I still see people buying their tickets on the train.

If there were no conductors to check tickets, couldn't a rider purchase a ticket for a closer zone to save a few bucks but ride on through to the more distant and expensive zone?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
like in the education system.

Except with the LIRR it is the march off the cliff.

We can put drones in the sky thousands of miles away on station for hours at a time, but on Long Island cannot design a train platform ingress/egress.

Not unlike LIPA, MTA-LIRR is poorly run and as such we're getting hosed again and again.

Leadership leading from the front is what is required
The money we spend to demolish and rebuild all the LIRR stations to raise them above ground or sink them below ground (not to mention the tracks between the stations) would negate any savings of not having conductors. Let's also not forget the NIMBYs.

On a line like the Babylon line, this could work, but good luck doing that to the Ronkonkoma line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We have fare machines at my local station, but I still see people buying their tickets on the train.

If there were no conductors to check tickets, couldn't a rider purchase a ticket for a closer zone to save a few bucks but ride on through to the more distant and expensive zone?
I think what the OP is advocating is the model the DC Metro uses. You have to swipe in and swipe out-- you're then charged on the distance you traveled. For instance, I go to the Mineola train station, and swipe my card to enter the station, I then board my train. Upon reaching Penn Station, I get off and swipe again through an exit turnstile. At that point, my card is debited for traveling from fare zone 4 to fare zone 1.

Like I said, if the LIRR were to be built today, this model would make so much more sense. But it's just not feasible to rebuild the entire system just to get rid of conductors.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM

41 posts, read 53,900 times
Nice to see the government reinstated the 240.00 monthly max on FSA's for travel expenses.

That flex money is also exempt from the 2% SS payroll tax increase. Use it or lose it.

It WOULD be cost effective to update the LIRR akin to DC and eliminate the conductors.

That's why we won't do it.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,127 times
Quote:
when a LIRR conductor as per NYT makes $239K. What I've read the recently approved fare increase funds pensions and salaries.

Reforms in the MTA are painfully slow if at all. Would seem to me that in the year 2013 the thought of a person punching paper tickets is tantamount to a human standing at a table instead of vending machine.

Would refitting the LIRR platforms be difficult, probably, in the long run,however,would the refit capture lost fares undoubtedly.
Can you provide a link for that article where it states the $239K figure? I dont think it is anywhere close to that.

It would be nice if they could configure the stations to eliminate the ticket taking aspect of it but they still would have to have someone on the train anyway. Wouldn't you also need someone to monitor the stations so that people don't just hop the gate to get in?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 53,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Can you provide a link for that article where it states the $239K figure? I dont think it is anywhere close to that.

It would be nice if they could configure the stations to eliminate the ticket taking aspect of it but they still would have to have someone on the train anyway. Wouldn't you also need someone to monitor the stations so that people don't just hop the gate to get in?
One useless idiot per station vs one per train sounds like a good tradeoff to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island