Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
1) Sync is required because you need a full IP stack to talk. What scanner? thats not wifi, thats smart chip.

2) Optimum wifi will interfere

3) most common exit point?? have you ridden the LIRR?? there are 20 "common exits" at ronkonkoma, at least 10 in hicksville

Let me try to answer your questions again.

1) IP Stack to talk is not needed the antenna only needs to recognize that a phones MAC address is present.

2) whatever

3) If there are 20 exits and I as a user need to use a designated exit so I am only charged to that point than I am smart enough to choose the available ones that have been designated.

I'll stop here because it appears to be your desire that no method but the current one can possibly work. Let me know when they start hireing coal tenders again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

1) IP Stack to talk is not needed the antenna only needs to recognize that a phones MAC address is present.

2) whatever

3) If there are 20 exits and I as a user need to use a designated exit so I am only charged to that point than I am smart enough to choose the available ones that have been designated.

I'll stop here because it appears to be your desire that no method but the current one can possibly work. Let me know when they start hireing coal tenders again....
I think that's about right.

They never let go the coal tenders. Union work rules forbade it!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,715,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

2) whatever

1) how is the app going to get your valid bar code without having a full IP stack running. MAC addressing says you are physically connected but until all 7 layers are connected you arent really talking.

2) its not whatever, its important

3) Right, the designated exit is all the way down the other end, a user is going to down there, then come back to where they park.

No there are ways to solve them, they are just very expensive and logistically challenging. The cost might outweigh the savings. Enforcement may even be harder. Wi-Fi isnt the answer. Smart Chips may work but the last test the RR did failed. There are too many backdoors/shortcuts/alternate exits especially at Penn where you are sharing not only space but tracks and platforms with NJT and Amtrak.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,715,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think that's about right.

They never let go the coal tenders. Union work rules forbade it!
Ironically the RR had "Firemen" as a job title well into the diesel and electric age. Eventually they were able to reach a deal to stop hiring new ones but the old ones got to stay till they retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island