Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times

Advertisements

So did all you commuters out there see the proposed fare increases in today's Newsday? What do you think the sheeple riders of the LIRR will do about it...

A) Pony up and pay while burying their noses in Newsday
B) Take it out on the conductor
C) Organize and shut down the LIRR
D) Express your gratitude to you fellow commuter that less "deep 631'ers" can afford to ride the train with you.
or
E) Leave more litter on the train while thinking it will make the LIRR work harder.
F) Go on City Data and complain.

Last edited by Gpsma; 07-29-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
i don't see an option that contain the words city-data, forum, and complain...

that's all people will / can do... complain but not do anything (not that it's easy to do anything).

Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Ok..I put that one in now for you.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Mangano is filing suit against the MTA wanting their payroll tax money back.

I completely agree- I was at the hearing where people begged to keep MTA services in tact, and supported talking to state legislature about the payroll tax solving those problems.

I complained that (as always) drivers are paying an unfair share of the burden to subsidize the system.

Every last service cut was made, and we still have a payroll tax.

Until the public is ready to revolt against the system... which is very hard as the majority of its riders are NYCT bus and subway customers who get a BARGAIN at $90 dollars a month unlimited metrocard. You're all in it for the long haul.

I walk to school now. No more transit for me.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
grant516

n/a posts
To stay slightly on topic, I should add-

Sadly, you'll have to pay it. That's what it costs to run the train.
I do believe however LIRR customers should get better service- there's plenty of unemployed out there.

If a conductor, ticket taker, or sales person is rude, or doesn't follow their own protocol.
Our complaints should have them reprimanded and fired for failing to properly do their job.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Taking the fare increase out on the conductors is wrong..even though I have reminded many of them that they are the "face" of the LIRR. Of course, that meant nothing to them, they will continue to be rude and unprofessional as long as they have their union bullies behind them.

I think maybe 20 to 25 people having "heart attacks" at Penn Station would seriously disrupt service and get a point across. However, that wouldnt be viewed by the LIRR as anything more than an excuse to send out an email saying there are delays and for the railroad crew to glum up some more overtime. It would do nothing more than inconvenience fellow riders.

Holding a conductor hostage..now that might just be...

Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

61 posts, read 222,933 times
As long as they keep pitting us in seperate camps with the LIRR vs. the NYCT, we're not looking at the greater metropolitan area versus the rest of the state--the latter getting an undo share (per passenger) of what should be our transportation dollar.

As it stands, that $90 a month is no bargain when you're already spending $200-$400 that only gets you half way to where you're going.

Of course, all of this could have been addressed years ago with congestion pricing and the billions in federal dollars that we gave away to Chicago when we were sold out on it.

Last edited by prodigaLI; 07-29-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigaLI View Post
As long as they keep pitting us in seperate camps with the LIRR vs. the NYCT, we're not looking at the greater metropolitan area versus the rest of the state--the latter getting an undo share (per passenger) of what should be our transportation dollar.

As it stands, that $90 a month is no bargain when you're already spending $200-$400 that only gets you half way to where you're going.

Of course, all of this could have been addressed years ago with congestion pricing and the billions in federal dollars that we gave away to Chicago when we were sold out on it.
How is congestion pricing fair to motorists who pay a larger share than the rest already?

How with congestion pricing can I drive for free from Long Island's Interstate 495 to the rest of the nearly-entirely federally funded Interstate?

If you look at MTA's overhead, it's just absurd. Force them to operate within a fixed budget cut everything else.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 AM

110 posts, read 349,964 times
Unfortunately I don't see this problem going away any time soon. We need to face the reality of the situation. The state on a whole is going bankrupt while the waste is just obscene. I can't wait to see how much extra I am going to have to pay on my car registration in 2 years. Mine jumped from $85 2 years ago to like $135 this year due to an MTA tax. The MTA will REALLY be in trouble once cheap smart cars hit the market that get crazy mileage. Then people will really have no incentive to take the train as it will be really cheap to drive most places on the island. People are considering driving more now at current $/gallon due to MTA increases.

I don't know how much longer people on the Island will/can put up with the abuse. If the job market and housing market wasn't so terrible I think many people would flee this place. Don't get me wrong, I have loved living here for the past 30 years but I just don't know if it is worth it anymore.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

168 posts, read 314,466 times
299.88 Monthly ticket from Ronkonkoma to Penn station. 5 roundtrips a week by 4 weeks is 20 rountrips. Thats 14.97 a day to commute. Doesnt seem overpriced to me. You cannot PARK in Manhatten for that price. The LIRR is a freakin BARGAIN for the services they provide to the regular commuters. Anyone who complains should start driving instead and see how much cheaper it is. When I get the rare chance to take the train instead of driving in for work it is a pleasure compared to the traffic and hassle of "Rush Hour".

The only complaint I ever have about the Railroad is rude passengers with there bags and feet on the seats and the trash they leave behind. As far as the conductors go they come through and ask for tickets...You show yours and it gets a punch then they move on to the next seat. How is that rude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island