Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,108,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Nothing stopping you, go be miserable somewhere else.
Davart! Where have you been honey????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM

844 posts, read 2,104,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Assuming KY really is the 49th unhappiest state I could see a big factor. Most people with low education levels in KY marry someone right out of high school and have several kids by the time they're 25.

I just started work as a nurse aide and can not believe how many (prob. 90%) of the girls already have 2/3 kids and are married. By comparison at U of L (or any other 4 yr college) most people of that age aren't even seriously dating someone yet. I think it's hard to go from being a child to raising a child - you haven't even got to find out who you are and yet you are already a parent. I know my college years really helped me discover who I am and what I enjoy without having major responsibilities to take care of.
This definitely affects my happiness level! Every woman worth a darn is married & miserable. I have no hope for ever finding love in Kentucky unless I go gay... which I refuse to do.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,433,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Davart! Where have you been honey????
Annoying as many people as I can across the world wide web.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,121,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I love my homestate but whole heartedly agree with you on the topic of gossip in KY. It is unbelieveable, especially in my small town the amount of gossipy busy-bodies. My hubby always thought I was exaggerating about it until he went home with me the first time. He went with me to get my haircut and when I told the receptionist my name and appointment time three nosey ladies (who I had never met in my life) in the corner were like "....are you so and so's grand-daughter?" I answered yes and boy they were off filling the others in on who all I was related to, where my mama lives, where my sisters live, where everybody works at and basically my life from birth until that point. Hubby just looked at me speechless. Welcome to small town Kentucky, where no body can mind their own business.
Blue-eyed Girl, That's just our way of figuring out people and establishing connections. When meeting someone I don't know, I often name members of my family and they do the same. No offense meant. Most of us like to know enough about the people we are around to know when to keep our mouths shut. Also, these same people will often be the ones who show up when you need a bit of help.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:23 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike579uk View Post
census data is sooooooo accurate with the girls and having kids ...
i'm a 29 y/o single male (never married) no kids ...

i live in the capital (frankfort) - and I am considered rare! Both males and females @ this age here in KY have either married/divorced and/or had kids ...

i'm moving very soon! I see why the state is ranked 49th unhappiest!

I have money/nice job/attractive ... but so unhappy with the people and what this place has to offer it's not even funny ..

There is nothing ever going on ... and the education in the people are low -
people are very un-loyal and it's always gossipy drama BS going on ....

even if you move here ! you are subject to drama, gossip, etc. If someone wanted to move to Frankfort/LEX - Please re-consider .... Louisville is a little better with gossip/drama ...but still with it being a big city not to much to offer .. and the same type of people ...

GET ME OUT OF KY! PLEASE!!!!
I live just south of Frankfort. I know what you mean, and I agree with on all points. I can only think of LESS THAN TEN people under the age of 25 in my community that are not/have not been married and/or do not have kids. Kind of sad, when you think about it. Why would you want to go from being a kid to having kids so soon? I don't get it.

Louisville and N. KY are a bit better than the rest of the state, but not greatly. Oh, and the women that are nice in this community are waaaaaay to country/hillbilly/twangy accented for my tates, and nice is a minority. Many of them thrive on cheating, manipulation, drama, or insecurity (i.e.: running back to an abusive ex-husband or ex-boyfriend time and again.)

The worst scenario? I literally had a 300 lb. married woman with crooked yellow teeth who smoked three packs a day and had three kids who was all over me. To boot, she was still sleeping with her cheating husband, who was sleeping with a violent woman who had hepatitis; the married chick herself had a fling on the side. And she literally asked me to go to a movie with her "just a friend" like 10 times. I almost filed sexual harassment charges on her.

I have to say, though, that as much as I dog Louisville, there are some very sexy and interesting girls there that are worldly yet down-to-earth and approachable. Plenty that if, in fact, they weren't engaged or married like all the other Kentucky 20-somethings I'd date them...and (not to sound conceited) some of them would date me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I love my homestate but whole heartedly agree with you on the topic of gossip in KY. It is unbelieveable, especially in my small town the amount of gossipy busy-bodies. My hubby always thought I was exaggerating about it until he went home with me the first time. He went with me to get my haircut and when I told the receptionist my name and appointment time three nosey ladies (who I had never met in my life) in the corner were like "....are you so and so's grand-daughter?" I answered yes and boy they were off filling the others in on who all I was related to, where my mama lives, where my sisters live, where everybody works at and basically my life from birth until that point. Hubby just looked at me speechless. Welcome to small town Kentucky, where no body can mind their own business.
What a story! I think many small towns, especially in the South, are like what you described, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
This definitely affects my happiness level! Every woman worth a darn is married & miserable. I have no hope for ever finding love in Kentucky unless I go gay... which I refuse to do.
Well don't turn gay. I can't understand why someone would opt for that orientation. I mean, I don't feel threatened by or superior to gay people and will even grab a bite to eat with them (as long as they don't hit on me, lol,) but I'm sure not turning gay.

I'm beginning to think that leaving the state will possibly resolve this problem. I've been trying for the last year but to no avail (nobody wants to hire me. )

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-21-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 AM

508 posts, read 1,515,695 times
Geez, some you guys have friggin' issues. Make your own happiness.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM

58 posts, read 140,897 times
Not sure about the rest of Kentucky, but it is a well-known fact that the singles scene in Northern Ky and Cincinnati in general is bad, bad, bad. There are very few ways to meet quality people. There are very few ways to meet people period outside of bars and churches.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,108,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davart View Post
annoying as many people as i can across the world wide web.
lol!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 67,393 times
I got enough hate to bring the whole state down/

Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 AM

871 posts, read 2,251,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Eastern Ky has higher percentages of poverty. The rest of Ky is the same as anywhere else in the country.

the most extreme poverty is in eastern kentucky, although a good portion of central and western ky are still above the nation's average
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky