Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times

Advertisements

Isn't it great that we get to think and believe what we want to? I would never call someone "wrong" because they have an different opinion about something. I am entitled to my opinion and you are welcome to believe what you will. Resorting to name calling generally shows a lack of imagination and/or intelligence.

We have lived here 8 months so we may come from a totally different perspective and life experience than those of you who have lived here your whole lives. There are nice homes in many areas interspersed with hovels - that is the way it is in all of the south (we do "get out" and are extensive travelers)...often people that have grown up in a particular state never wander far from where they were born - they know their area and not much else and they are often so used to the status quo that they don't really make critical observations because they have no wide basis of comparison - things are the way they have always been and that is all they know or see and anyone who thinks differently has to be wrong. New arrivals are often much more curious about their new surroundings and see areas and visit places that the natives never have and they view those new experiences through a different eye. What is "nice" to one person may not be to another - such is life. We are entitled to our own observations and opinions - it doesn't matter whether you agree or not.

We do love Kentucky very much but are happiest here in our Ivory Tower near Louisville.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-14-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Just be happy they did not rank you number one. I saw that list and I wouldn't live in a lot of the most well-being states if they paid me to do it. On the other hand, I would not mind living in several of the least well-being states.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Isn't it great that we get to think and believe what we want to? I would never call someone "wrong" because they have an different opinion about something. I am entitled to my opinion and you are welcome to believe what you will. Resorting to name calling generally shows a lack of imagination and/or intelligence.

We have lived here 8 months so we may come from a totally different perspective and life experience than those of you who have lived here your whole lives. There are nice homes in many areas interspersed with hovels - that is the way it is in all of the south (we do "get out" and are extensive travelers)...often people that have grown up in a particular state never wander far from where they were born - they know their area and not much else and they are often so used to the status quo that they don't really make critical observations because they have no wide basis of comparison - things are the way they have always been and that is all they know or see and anyone who thinks differently has to be wrong. New arrivals are often much more curious about their new surroundings and see areas and visit places that the natives never have and they view those new experiences through a different eye. What is "nice" to one person may not be to another - such is life. We are entitled to our own observations and opinions - it doesn't matter whether you agree or not.

We do love Kentucky very much but are happiest here in our Ivory Tower near Louisville.
You're entitled to your opinion, but your facts are wrong.

Opinions and facts are two different things and you made statements of fact and not opinion. Does Louisville have nice areas, shopping, restaurants etc? Sure it does, it also has the highest murder, rape, robbery, arson, larceny and other crime rate in the state, FACT. (see KSP link for most recent data 2007) People living below the poverty line in Louisville is 6% above state average, FACT. (see Census Link).

So see Louisville isn't all that and a bag of chips, thats FACTS and not opinion. There is nothing wrong with liking your area, but don't make claims you can't back up with facts at the reputation and expense of other areas.

I can dive you to a bunch of multi-million dollars homes here in Western KY and equally I can drive you to slums in Louisville ... doesn't necessarily mean that's all either place has to offer.

Point is Louisville has some nice areas and so does the rest of the state. Louisville has some extremely poor areas and so does the rest of the state. Neither is exclusive to Kentucky.

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/cik_2007.pdf
Louisville/Jefferson County (balance) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
I think "Louisville" to Cattnap means Oldham County and adjacent areas in NE Jefferson County. That is probably the 'nicest' area of the state, only rivaled by Boone County and SW Lexington. If by "Louisville" you mean Fort Knox, Okolona, and Bullitt County it certainly isn't the nicest area of the state. Fairdale and West Point have as many run down houses and trailers as Casey Co (where I'm from)

Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Censusdata is correct - we live in Prospect next to Oldham County and I've yet to see a nicer area (we like Anchorage too). By nice, I mean that people care for their properties whether the homes are large or small, big mature trees, streams and waterfalls, golf courses and country clubs, marinas and creeks and of course, the river. In our subdivision, there are no chain link fenses or old furniture stored on the porch - no RV's parked on the front lawn (not allowed). Lawns are kept up, homes are in good repair. The average income is over $120,000 a year. The trash is picked up twice a week and the streets are clean with nary a pot hole. People here care about our little city. My doctor and dentist are less than 5 minutes from my house. Shopping is upscale and diverse with the Summit 10 minutes away and good local services. Crime is low, the city is well run and people are kind and helpful.....and the beauty of large horse farms and multi-arcred manicured estates are plentiful. That fits my definition of "nice." It isn't the crime-ridden inner city that you speak of - in fact, there is nothing like that here at all.

Davart you need to take a chill pill - you are one angry, over-reactive person. Nice homes are just a tiny part of what constitutes a good place to live....what is nice to you may mean nothing to me and your broadcast of unrelated crime statistics is meaningless to me. From the sources I found on the internet KY has the 7th highest number of people living below the poverty level. So you can state that KY is no different than any place else but the facts do not justify that claim.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Censusdata is correct - we live in Prospect next to Oldham County and I've yet to see a nicer area (we like Anchorage too). By nice, I mean that people care for their properties whether the homes are large or small, big mature trees, streams and waterfalls, golf courses and country clubs, marinas and creeks and of course, the river. In our subdivision, there are no chain link fenses or old furniture stored on the porch - no RV's parked on the front lawn (not allowed). Lawns are kept up, homes are in good repair. The average income is over $120,000 a year. The trash is picked up twice a week and the streets are clean with nary a pot hole. People here care about our little city. My doctor and dentist are less than 5 minutes from my house. Shopping is upscale and diverse with the Summit 10 minutes away and good local services. Crime is low, the city is well run and people are kind and helpful.....and the beauty of large horse farms and multi-arcred manicured estates are plentiful. That fits my definition of "nice." It isn't the crime-ridden inner city that you speak of - in fact, there is nothing like that here at all.
The same thing exists here in London in a neighborhood called Crooked Creek. Crooked Creek Colf Community - Home It also exists in most other Kentucky towns.....

Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
I love starting arguments!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love starting arguments!!!
Good job

Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
The same thing exists here in London in a neighborhood called Crooked Creek. Crooked Creek Colf Community - Home It also exists in most other Kentucky towns.....
Pretty community you posted but I disagree that a Prospect-like city "exists in most other Kentucky towns" - maybe a few but certainly not "most".

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,983 times
I was sad to see this. I always had a great time when I visited southern and middle Kentucky. People were great! The food was even better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky