Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times

Advertisements

No body asked me either..
I am happy, my h is happy, my kids and grand kids are happy, and my dog is named "Happy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,850 times
I was so suprised to see this. I really thought we would rank much higher. There are negatives about living in Kentucky, as there are with most places, but overall its a lovely place. I see more crankiness in one day up here then I ever did back home. Wonder who was polled?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
I guess we didn't rank higher because of all the poverty - one of the highest in the U.S. Those of us who live in Louisville area are generally much more prosperous than the rest of the state. You really don't have to go very far from here though to see pretty shocking examples of dire poverty....money isn't always everything, but when your basic needs are not being met, money is very important.

We have lived here almost 8 months and we truly love it here and are very happy - even with the wind and ice storms, the positive aspects overwhelm any negatives....we just love Prospect and surrounds and the people are super nice too :-).

Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I guess we didn't rank higher because of all the poverty - one of the highest in the U.S. Those of us who live in Louisville area are generally much more prosperous than the rest of the state. You really don't have to go very far from here though to see pretty shocking examples of dire poverty....money isn't always everything, but when your basic needs are not being met, money is very important.

We have lived here almost 8 months and we truly love it here and are very happy - even with the wind and ice storms, the positive aspects overwhelm any negatives....we just love Prospect and surrounds and the people are super nice too :-).
Eastern Ky has higher percentages of poverty. The rest of Ky is the same as anywhere else in the country.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Overall KY has one of the highest poverty rates in the U.S. regardless of where the poverty is within the state...the Louisville area is truly the nicest area to live in (including Oldham County and Jefferson County)....we have traveled all over this area - up to 2 hours in each direction (including Indiana) - there is unbelievable poverty not that far away from here....we are always happy to come back to this area because it is by far the nicest - nicest homes, most beautiful views, best shopping, best restaurants, etc. I have been told by people who were born here that western Kentucky has a lot of poverty.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Overall KY has one of the highest poverty rates in the U.S. regardless of where the poverty is within the state...the Louisville area is truly the nicest area to live in (including Oldham County and Jefferson County)....we have traveled all over this area - up to 2 hours in each direction (including Indiana) - there is unbelievable poverty not that far away from here....we are always happy to come back to this area because it is by far the nicest - nicest homes, most beautiful views, best shopping, best restaurants, etc. I have been told by people who were born here that western Kentucky has a lot of poverty.
Again you're wrong....end of story.

Louisville is not that drastically different than the rest of the state. Your claims are false and over exaggerated. "Nice homes" exist in every town, not just Louisville.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,850 times
Quote:
No, not at all. You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Louisville. I'm a South-Central Kentucky girl and the area is beautiful. Yes, there is some poverty there (like everywhere) but there are also lovely middle-class communities. Not everyone lives in a rundown shack with a couch on their front porch and a couple cars up on concrete blocks in their dirt yard. Poverty exist but I don't think it dominates the state.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
Ain't the internet wonderful? I never knew I wasn't happy. Who'd a thunk it?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
You need to do 2 things ...
1. Come down from your Ivory Tower.
2. Get out more.

NO offense if you live KY it's truly sad you know so little about it.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Ain't the internet wonderful? I never knew I wasn't happy. Who'd a thunk it?
I know it sweety, aren't ya glad there's somebody who can tell us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky