Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
There is a thread going on in the CT forum where such claims are being made. I would be curious to see some of your input on the matter.

I don't agree with that...but some in the thread do.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ckwards-3.html
No seriously - I am always amazed at how others view this state, and I wonder where it comes from. I can only think it resonates from past images of 'Hillbillies' - living in the mountains with dirt floors , no education and one change of clothes. I have lived here the majority of my life and have heard the feud between Indiana and Kentucky, but I cannot understand why the NE would be so down on us.

Kentucky is a multi-cultural experience, to say the least. From the bigger cities like Louisville and Lexington, to the small ' don't blink or you'll miss it' towns - with so many walks of life thrown in the mix. Many newcomers from other countries have chosen to reside here - Russia seemingly having the biggest influx over the past few years, along with Bosnians and the 'been here for a while' Mexicans and Vietnamese. Normally these groups head to the cities, but are begining to branch out into smaller areas.

I realized this a few years ago while working in a Neurosurgery practice. It was amazing, and I often needed a translator - which I luckily had in the office - a wonderful Russian lady who had been here about 10 years.

Anyway - back to the rest - Louisville has one of the fastest growing cultural experiences around - the arts, sciences, and sporting events abound. I am not certain about Lexington but I can only imagine it is expanding in those arenas, too.

Closer to the cities you will find young professionals raising their families, along with the older generations who have lived their lives haere and retired. Counties within 30 to 40 miles are seeing the same things - more families are moving out to get a smaller community feel with the ease of city amenities just a few minutes away.
I am proud to say regardless of where you go, it is rare to meet a stranger, as MOST are willing to help you in any way. I have had people turn around on the interstate to help me when my car was stalled, numerous occassions when a stranger will help me open doors, carry packages because I have the baby in tow, and it is not uncommon to strike up a conversation with someone you have never met and talk about personal things - happens all the time in the stores, parks, etc. We always seem to have a smile, and yes - waving as you drive happens without thinkng in many areas.

If being polite and family oriented makes us 'regressive' and 'backwards' or whatever you want to call it, then I will take that title gladly anyday. Try visiting one of our many festivals this fall and see how many friends you can make in a day. It's just wonderful!

I hate that the CT people think so little of us. Tell them to come on down for some southern hospitality - maybe they just need a hug!

Cheers! KimmieyKy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,415 times
My wife and I moved to Kentucky last year from Indianapolis,IN and I used to make fun of Kentucky cause my wife is from here but since we have moved here I think it is a great place to live.

Most everybody is friendly and will talk to you and I don't have to worry about keeping up with the jones's as much cause of lower cost of living here.

One thing I do notice is living in this small community of 25,000 there sure are alot of Drug related arrests weekly and seems like more than in Indy. B ut you don't here of the murders or other bad crimes much at all.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,865 times
I think that being from Kentucky disposes one to the same kind of prejudices as being black, Hispanic, or any other type of group that is treated different because of who they are. Kentucky has it's share of intelligent people and its share of unintelligent people, just like any other state. Seems like the unintelligent ones from other states love to throw blanket insults at Kentucky to take the heat off of their own stupidity.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 AM

47 posts, read 138,093 times
Some are and some aren't. Just like anywhere else you go!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
I wish I could agree that there is nothing at all to the Kentucky bashing on this issue. But without making this a political thread, the recent election showed we still have a lot of work to do in this area.

John McCain won Kentucky over Obama, a black candidate, 58-41%, or 17%. Senator McConnell won reelection over Bruce Lundsford, a white candidate, 53-47%, or 6%. Almost by three times the margin, and McConnell was a well known and well financed incumbent. I'm sure there are many reasons why we got this result, but I don't think we can exclude racial bias.

Otherwise, it's difficult to explain why an incumbent running against a white opponent wins by 6% while a white candidate from the same political party defeats his black opponent by three times as much on the same day.

I agree other states have the same issue and that it's unfair to single out Kentucky. But I think it's just as wrong to say that there isn't an issue here at all. Just my two cents.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 24,403 times
progressive has become some overbroad term, what does it mean, accepting gay marriages, is that progressive?

Being a stick in the mud for certain moral principals is not backwards, look at the both "Brave New World" and 1984, in order to implement either of those societies the obstacle in the way is the traditional family with fatherly authority being replace by the state or village.

Remember Hill-ari's "progressive" idea "It takes a villiage"?

"Progressives" need to be careful they do not pro-gress us over a cliff.

I sly-ly got called a hick by a waitress in L'alville a few years back when I asked what kind of red wine it was on the menu.

The problem with political correctness is that it leave only a
few groups left to catch all the "hate" speech, like us hyer
in easturn cantuck are all fair game. Hey I'm offended that yur
offended!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I didn't see anyone pick on miners? Many miners are unionists and by definition a trade unionist is a progressive, Hell, it's way more progressive to be a unionist than it is to recycle plastic bottles.

Yeah, recycling, that really puts the establishment on the run. You'll never see the big money boys sic the Pinkertons and National Guard on recyclers.

Hell, this whole Green business is another way for business to make money selling you new crap that's "green". Nothing appeals to the American middle class like the notion that they can display virtue by buying things.
If they were truly green, they wouldn't need to buy new things.

I am by definition green, but not cause it's the "cool, in thing" to be. Part of it was due to economy. When you are a military wife starting out, money isn't that great, so we made due with what we had. due to those "more humble" roots, I have just stayed that way and we are much better off for it.

I recycle paper into my compost heap, not cause it's the right thing to do, just cause it's better to grow veggies with, mixed with good old cow pies, lol. I don't grow my own veggies cause it's better for the environment, it's cause it was cheaper and we prefer the fruits of our labor.

We freecycle, since we have gotten things we needed for free from people that were just going to throw it away, and vice versa. I use re-usuable bags, since there is less trash to throw away, which means less work; not to mention they are MUCH more durable than the crappy plastic store bags.

Our "living greener" lifestyle wasn't due to wanting to be virtuous,; it was due to need at the beginning, and now it's just easier.

As for unions being progressive, that is the funniest thing I have heard this year. Thanks for the laugh hun, I needed it today!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Kentucky just looks green and beautiful to me. Some people think going to church and being a Christian is backward. It just all depends on what a person values. I love Kentucky. We have fond memories of being rescued when our car developed a problem with the gas pedal when we were going West. The Ford dealership in Louisville put us first in line, fixed the problem and we went on our way. That kind of courtesy cannot be backward in my book.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I wish I could agree that there is nothing at all to the Kentucky bashing on this issue. But without making this a political thread, the recent election showed we still have a lot of work to do in this area.

John McCain won Kentucky over Obama, a black candidate, 58-41%, or 17%. Senator McConnell won reelection over Bruce Lundsford, a white candidate, 53-47%, or 6%. Almost by three times the margin, and McConnell was a well known and well financed incumbent. I'm sure there are many reasons why we got this result, but I don't think we can exclude racial bias.

Otherwise, it's difficult to explain why an incumbent running against a white opponent wins by 6% while a white candidate from the same political party defeats his black opponent by three times as much on the same day.

I agree other states have the same issue and that it's unfair to single out Kentucky. But I think it's just as wrong to say that there isn't an issue here at all. Just my two cents.
I'm gonna stick my neck out for a moment and suggest that race - while still an issue - was not quite the entire issue when it came to McCain winning Kentucky. Kentucky is by and far a red state with an overwhelming tendency to lean republican. With the undeniable marriage of the Christian religious right movement and the Republican party, seeing Kentuckian's vote red is not really a surprise.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 PM

237 posts, read 848,918 times
Here is my input on Kentucky while trying to dodge the political issues stated above.
My parents were from small town Kentucky and were educated well. Dad had his doctorate in education & Mom had a business degree. I have spent most of my life in large cities such as Orlando, Dallas, Birmingham, and mostly Atlanta. I have diplomas on the wall as well. With that being said, and with my background, I have found myself drawn to the state. There is a lot to be said about small town life, and even the larger cities like Louisville or Lexington. Kentucky has a nice rhythym of life that you cannot find anywhere else as far as I know. You see children riding bicyles and playing in the yard, baseball games at parks without grafitti all over, and familys doing family stuff! That is the fabric of America that is missing in so many places now. I have visited about 75% of the states in this great country as well as many places abroad and am absolutely convinced that this is the finest place in the world to live in.
So, instead of bashing Kentucky and the US as well, please realize what you have. My wife and I are looking forward to retiring outside a the same small town in Kentucky that my family came from.
In fact, I'd prefer you don't tell anyone about Kentucky. I would rather it was kept secret.

Digger~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky