Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
... I read in the paper the other day that Kentucky ranks as the 48th state in income. That's backwards, hell, that pretty much defines backwards.
What one must understand, and few do, is the ratio between income and expense. If the cost of living in Kentucky is 47th lowest, and our income is 48th lowest, then maybe a Kentuckian will put more money in their piggy banks than the fellow who has the 48th lowest cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
What one must understand, and few do, is the ratio between income and expense. If the cost of living in Kentucky is 47th lowest, and our income is 48th lowest, then maybe a Kentuckian will put more money in their piggy banks than the fellow who has the 48th lowest cost of living.

Big if Tom.

In my experience one is better off making more than living cheaper. Besides, what's really cheaper down here anyway? Housing, taxes and cigarettes. Cars, food, clothing----the same as up north where incomes are higher. I'd rather make 33% more money in Illinois (which would be the case in the field I worked in) and pay more for housing and taxes. And low taxes have a social and educational cost.

Nah, making more money is always better; that's why so many people want more.

I'm retired so it doesn't matter, I can live high on the hog down here. But I'm glad I'm not trying to earn a living down here.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,659 times
As far as the people go, I don't think they are generally regressive or backward. However, I do think a great many of them are complacent, which can be good or bad depending on your view.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Well I didn't say Kentucky was the only backwards place.

I read in the paper the other day that Kentucky ranks as the 48th state in income. That's backwards, hell, that pretty much defines backwards.
Maybe to you. But backwards has far more to a way of thinking than how much money anyone has.

There is a great deal of more importance in life than how much money a person has or how much their neighbors have or even the ranking of their State as to income.

After all the State I live in ranks 13th in income. I am afraid that California is not exactly a great example of being progressive.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Maybe to you. But backwards has far more to a way of thinking than how much money anyone has.

There is a great deal of more importance in life than how much money a person has or how much their neighbors have or even the ranking of their State as to income.

That's subjective. Ranking of income is objective.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
That's subjective. Ranking of income is objective.
Well check the ranking of education, literacy, etc that is a better indicator.

Income is far less likely to be indicative of being backward or progressive. There is no direct relationship, though certainly certain extremely low income areas of any State can have a significant number of "backward" people. Having been to Kentucky, all I have seen are normal people living their life as they see fit.

Maybe a good example is a friend who lives a very "backward" life style living in the woods, alone. Mind you he was one of the creators of the Poseidon system for the Navy. Backward intellectually? Not a chance, just likes a simply life style now. Simple is not backward.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Well check the ranking of education, literacy, etc that is a better indicator.

Well Kentucky isn't doing well there either.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,513 times
Kentucky is home to many bright, free-thinking people. I think that many citizens of Owensboro are regressive as far as their attitude toward those who are "different," but making generalizations about an entire state is wrong; it ignores individuality. Most likely, as our population continues to diversify, the regressive individuals will adapt to, or at least become more familiar with, what or who they fear, and the progressive individuals will be even more accepting and open-minded. And, I might add, age and socioeconomic status are not always indicators of who belongs to which of the two groups. To attract even more bright, progressive people (and retain those who already live here) we need several more museums, more and better-paying career opportunities, more health incentives, and curbside recycling, free of charge, in ALL neighborhoods.
Oh: and I disagree with the media using Kentucky as the proverbial butt of their jokes; "backward" people exist everywhere---one has only to open his/her eyes to see them. Must an entire state be the target?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Only a fool would think that because a state is backwards that everyone in the state is.

It's obvious there are many bright forward thinking people in Kentucky. There are also many bright backward thinking people. And the state is generally backwards mainly because bright backward thinking people manipulate the not so bright to serve the interests of "backwardsism". Some people have alot invested in the state staying backwards.

Curbside recycling is progressive eh? I wonder how that one got by FDR.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,513 times
Default Bright AND backward-thinking?

That sounds contradictory to me; I think it's regressive to constantly look backward. Backward thinking is responsible for our country's current state. I think that intelligence is correlative to a desire to grow; challenges beget experience, which begets learning one's self and others better. And yes, I do think curbside recycling is progressive, especially in today's throw-away society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky