Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 AM

127 posts, read 364,831 times

Advertisements

There are hicks in every state, some just have more than others. The only difference i've really noticed between the people in S. KY/N. TN is that people are more 'casually racist' in this area, meaning they don't say the 'n' word but think it's okay to make generalizations about non-whites in casual conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh great, so now this has turned into an Iowa vs Missouri thread?? How did that happen?
Simple. Kentucky is in the same geographic region as these two states for the most part.

As for Kentucky being "backwards", that is totally subjective.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

666 posts, read 2,538,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Simple. Kentucky is in the same geographic region as these two states for the most part.
Oh man don't start that again...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM

54 posts, read 165,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

As for Kentucky being "backwards", that is totally subjective.
I realize you get no respect in other forums on this board (I've seen), but seriously, you get even less here. You'd be best just to leave these boards altogether, but then that makes me wonder what your personality is like in real life...and what people's reactions to it would be. On second thought, perhaps you could find some type of roleplaying game? Where you didn't have to be yourself at all.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I think if we honestly look at our state, and depending on how you define "backwards", then we have more than just our fair share of problems.

By almost every economic, educational and health measurement, we are at or near the bottom. That's just a fact. It's a great state with great people and I've lived here all my life, but there is no question we are constantly behind most states in almost every category.

I think until we admit that, we can't change it.
Very true. Unfortunately.
Kentucky is headed the wrong way on a number of fronts. For example:

1. The polar opposite of 'progressive' is 'backwards'. Mitch McConnell represents the epitome of 'backwards' as he is staunchly anti-progressive. That does not bode well for the citizens represented by this pure corporate petro-coal-tobacco-liquor shill.

2. Newly elected Congressman Rand Paul supports repealing the American With Disabilities Act and abolishing the Department of Education. Nuf' said.

3. Two words: Creation Museum
This growing backwards facility promotes the concept that our world was once populated by dinosaurs and humans at the same time, which is not possible. This outfit is successfully 'teaching' children and other visitors to ignore science, because it does not conform to their modern thoughts regarding their current religion.

These things combine to make a perfect storm of stupidity that only Kentucky, Florida and several other states suffer from. It's tragic to see entire swaths of the American public stuck in the 60's and 70's regarding technology and science beliefs.

It cannot be said enough: Dumbing down the populace has always improved the GOP's ability to get people to vote against their own interests.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 27,776 times
I resent a question like this being asked. What kind of stupid person would ask such a question.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Kentuckians litter everywhere because they don't give a damn what their environment looks like.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Another sweeping statement from Visvaldis. The implication that ALL Kentuckians are trash-tossing slobs who litter "everywhere" obviously is intended to incite defensiveness on the part of those who resent such character assassination.

V., you know quite well that while some Kentuckians are as you describe, not all of us are. Why not proof-read your opinions for such inaccurate generalizations before posting them?

Better yet, why not spend some time picking up the trash you deplore rather than writing about it here?

And before you turn that last suggestion on me, please be aware that I keep my 13 rural acres clean.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Another sweeping statement from Visvaldis. The implication that ALL Kentuckians are trash-tossing slobs who litter "everywhere" obviously is intended to incite defensiveness on the part of those who resent such character assassination.

V., you know quite well that while some Kentuckians are as you describe, not all of us are. Why not proof-read your opinions for such inaccurate generalizations before posting them?

Better yet, why not spend some time picking up the trash you deplore rather than writing about it here?

And before you turn that last suggestion on me, please be aware that I keep my 13 rural acres clean.
I live in a four flat building. In the parking lot the neighbors empty their ash trays and dump paper cups and plastic bottles. I'm the one who picks the stuff up and makes the long 15 foot journey to the trash containers. It's tough to walk, that's probably why they can't.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
Because some people are miserable and hate where they are, therefore they have to put everything around them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky