Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM

23 posts, read 375,183 times

Advertisements

I just spent the last few hours looking at all these gorgeous pictures of my beautiful homestate! Especially the ones of bowling green, butler county and Etown. I'm so homesick I can hardly stand it and I've just bawled my eyes out. I'm in one of the most prettiest, relaxing places on God's green earth, but nothing compares to Kentucky. My husband is in the Navy at the moment, He has ten years left, but once he's out we plan on moving back to Kentucky possibly to my family's farm in Butler county. Oh I can't wait for that day to get here! Thank's y'all, for the pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 25,074 times
A few Pictures taken in LBL at the Elk and Bison Range, and the Nature Center. The Eagle was taken at Fort Donaldson at the south end of the trace in Tn.
Attached Thumbnails
Rural KY photo "sticky"-eagle-15-45-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-eagle-26-45-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-2-20-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-8-20-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-11-20-.jpg  

Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-16-20-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-17-20-.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-lbl-2011-19-20-.jpg  

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM

108 posts, read 266,976 times
Wow! From page one, all of these pics have been quite stunning! Much different from the land of concrete and asphalt in which I currently live. I've never been to KY, but my lineage runs pretty deep there and I'd like to visit the land of my forefathers (and mothers) at least once. I've gotta see this in person! Definitely on the bucket list.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM

237 posts, read 849,973 times
Bluegrass_Belle, hope you do move back to Butler County! I will be in about 8 years or so to our property on the Green River. My family roots run deep there as well.

Digger~

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

23 posts, read 375,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Bluegrass_Belle, hope you do move back to Butler County! I will be in about 8 years or so to our property on the Green River. My family roots run deep there as well.

Digger~
Oh, I'm counting on it! I get so homesick sometimes I think I can hardly stand it. I'm originally from Jefferson County, but I love the farm so much, we used to go there all the time when I was growing up and my grandparents finally built a small house there (for my great granddaddy) and when he passed on they moved into the house. My husband and I plan on building there and I cannot wait! I miss the Catfish Festival and Derby too! I'm so homesick.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 AM

237 posts, read 849,973 times
Well perhaps we will bump into each other then. Not so hard to do in a town with a population of 3500 or so!

Digger~

Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,719 times
Talking Letcher Co

time for pics of Letcher County.

pictures of Deane and Whitesburg.
Attached Thumbnails
Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic0917001.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic0917006.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic0929003.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic1005016.jpg   Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic0923002.jpg  

Rural KY photo "sticky"-pic1005006.jpg  

Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,640,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Does anyone know anything about this place? I have a thing for old homes and this one is fabulous!!!
old post but I love old houses too.

The only pictures I can't see are "census" ones. Dreaded red x. Freelander pics were nice. I am not crazy about thumbnails. I don't get the same feeling with those, even if I click on them....

I found many beautiful pictures I will enjoy using as a screensaver for a short while. I change constantly as i work at a computer all day and it makes me think I am on a little mini vacation when I bring up my desktop.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM

69 posts, read 176,561 times
Smile Pinnacle Overlook

Pinnacle Overlook, Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (Kentucky)

Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 PM

55 posts, read 127,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Why does Kentucky own the piece of land that is surrounded by Missouri and Tennessee. To be more specific the land sits right below New Madrid. Viewing the land on google map it is seperated from Kentucky by the two other states but google map labels as part of kentucky.
I remember reading that it's a result of the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 - 1812, a series of 7.0+ quakes. The New Madrid fault is at the point where that isolated bit of KY meets Missouri. Originally that bit was connected to the rest of Ky, but the quakes isolated it practically overnight. They made the Mississippi run backwards, and tremors were felt from Chicago to New Orleans, since, unlike California, the ground is water saturated and the bedrock's deep below.

There's some debate about whether the fault system's going dormant or still active. Where it to happen today the damage would be catastrophic, since most buildings aren't built with quakes in mind, including nuclear power plants and chemical plants further down the Mississippi. (Buy a wood house. Bricks crumble. And bolt down your frame to the foundation.)

I grew up in western Kentucky and remember little window rattlers every few years. It's hard to imagine such big ones happening, but it's a risk.

Last edited by alicewray; 10-27-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky