Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 AM

101 posts, read 285,482 times

Advertisements

Brad... thank you SOOO MUCH for this new information and pics. I'll start investigating this area now. We can use all the help we can get, since we can't come down to look until Spring. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 AM

Ok, sooo.. how about talking snakes in Corbin or London? Being a city girl, but loving KY (visited about 8 times), would there be many snakes (EEK!!) if we lived near the city? Like.. somewhere nearer to shopping, but not too close to the craziness :-)

Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 AM

295 posts, read 973,882 times
Cat, I grew up in Middlesboro which is just south of where those pictures between Pineville and Harlan. From the time I can remember till now, I saw a total of 2 Copperheads, a couple of green snakes, no rattlesnakes or even a black snake. Which is not to say they are not there because they are for sure. I think they would just rather keep off to themself. You learn pretty fast which areas to avoid.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM

Thank you, nightrider! I feel a little better now :-)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Brad,

THIS is exactly what we're looking for! When you said:

"My parents recently had some Ohio natives move next door and they we're amazed because neighbors still gave and helped each other."

That is one of the things we love about KY. Of course, the hills and the beauty, but people actually caring about each other. You sure don't get that where we live.

Spring can't come fast enough. I can't wait to get down there and start looking

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 AM

You'll love the area. I am not going to lie to you and say the area hasn't got problems because it has. They are working hard to make it better.

People sometimes get the idea that all the people in that area are no good but it's just not so. The good people far out number the bad. The good people of the area is just beginning to speak up and I think/hope that they will continue to do so.

Be sure and visit the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park just outside Middlesboro, Little Shepherd State Park( I think that's the name) in Harlan County and Pine Mountain State Resort Park in Pineville.

If you have a Facebook page, you can do a search on the area. Try Middlesboro, Pineville and Harlan, Ky There is even a Bell County Ky page but be sure to add the Ky because there is another Bell County in Texas.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM

nightrider.. you're awesome! You're like a tour guide.. lol.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'll look up all these places.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 AM

Thanks Cat. I finally remembered the real name of that park in Harlan County. It's Kingdom Come. I knew that Little Shepherd name didn't sound right.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM

Did any of the flooding hit near Corbin or London the other day?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM

It flooded in my home county of Bell and also in Knox County. Knox is just south of Corbin's home county of Whitley. I think it may have flooded in Corbin from what I saw in a picture taken at Cumberland Falls that day. Can't find anything about London flooding anywhere. I do have a cousin that lives in London. If I catch her online, I'll ask about London. Maybe InLondon will comment soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky