Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times

Advertisements

Lexington, take a drive down Paris Pike or Old Frankfort Pike and you'll be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM

68 posts, read 103,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The COUNTRYSIDE around Lexington is prettier and more unique than outside Louisville

As far as the CITIES go, and having lived in both (Lexington 8 yrs, Louisville 5 yrs) I think Louisville is much more scenic than Lexington. It has a much larger number of historic, Victorian era neighborhoods, some of the best and most scenic urban parks in the US, and a treelined parkway system connecting those parks. I also love all of the country roads that run throughout the suburbs - it's truely like being in the country and the city at the same time!

As a summary:

Eastern Parkway **or** Nicholasville Road?
Cherokee/ Iroquois Park **or** Jacobson Park
Old Louisville **or** Maxwell Street

My opinion, Louisville wins hands down for CITY prettiness, Lexington wins hands down for surrounding COUNTRYSIDE prettiness

Appreciated your post! Reasonable reporting with reasonable conviction.
Thanks.

Last edited by Doc. T.; 04-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: typo.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM

68 posts, read 103,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I'm not trying to start a debate here, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....and yet I ask anyway. Which city is the most beautiful?

I haven't been to either one yet, only seen pictures and I'm just not sure.

Which one has a walkable downtown (or walkable smaller towns nearby), with lots of flowers, trees, benches, coffee shops... all that good stuff.

Beyond downtown, which has the most suburban streets where people walk their dogs, stroll along with their kids, and just generally enjoy the outside?

I cannot live in Louisville because of the dog law, but I am considering some surrounding areas. But I also really like what I've read about Lexington.

I'm so torn. And no, I don't want to live in the most expensive area, I just want a nice middle class neighborhood, that is safe and most importantly beautiful. Where I live now is so depressing, NOTHING is pretty. I don't want to live in that again. (hence my emphasis on finding something visually appealing)

I'm going to be renting first and hopefully finding a place sometime in Feb. I've considered other states during my search but I keep coming back to KY, and I'm done looking elsewhere now. Kentucky it is. now I just need to decide on a city...

Any suggestions of specific areas I should visit would be greatly appreciated. This way I can go directly to places that would interest me and bypass the rougher areas.

Perhaps, you may want to take a look at the Mercer reports on the top 100 cities worldwide for "quality of living." They can be found on the web, sorry I can't recall a link. Interestingly, Lexington is ranked, but Louisville is not. Hope your "city of refuge" proves to be personally rewarding.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM

13 posts, read 38,895 times
Default hey there kaligirl

i just flew in from lexington last night and now on this forum trying to find out which is nicest. I think he meant inner blue - english, etc., referring to lex. but i may be wrong. the first time i've ever been to ky, have fallen in love. don't know anyone there so i stayed in hotels awaiting my party who never arrived due to illness. the ppl are the friendliest i've ever encountered and i am from louisiana - thought of moving back to la, but, underwater and crime ridden logically - if i had to experience what those poor ppl went through and FEMA, i'd have crime on my mind. but, divorce would do that too.

So, i wish you the best. I myself am looking into moving there from arizona.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
Lexington in my opinion, but everything else in between and around is probably better!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 PM

409 posts, read 872,114 times
What's this dog law in Lousiville?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I'm not trying to start a debate here, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....and yet I ask anyway. Which city is the most beautiful?

I haven't been to either one yet, only seen pictures and I'm just not sure.

Which one has a walkable downtown (or walkable smaller towns nearby), with lots of flowers, trees, benches, coffee shops... all that good stuff.

Beyond downtown, which has the most suburban streets where people walk their dogs, stroll along with their kids, and just generally enjoy the outside?

I cannot live in Louisville because of the dog law, but I am considering some surrounding areas. But I also really like what I've read about Lexington.

I'm so torn. And no, I don't want to live in the most expensive area, I just want a nice middle class neighborhood, that is safe and most importantly beautiful. Where I live now is so depressing, NOTHING is pretty. I don't want to live in that again. (hence my emphasis on finding something visually appealing)

I'm going to be renting first and hopefully finding a place sometime in Feb. I've considered other states during my search but I keep coming back to KY, and I'm done looking elsewhere now. Kentucky it is. now I just need to decide on a city...

Any suggestions of specific areas I should visit would be greatly appreciated. This way I can go directly to places that would interest me and bypass the rougher areas.
I've lived in both Louisville and Lexington ... personally, I perfer Lexington ... however, we have a 80lb chocolate lab so we moved to Georgetown because the dog laws aren't as strict and the schools are better ... it's a small community with most of the shopping you need, and it is about 15 minutes from Lexington ... I commute from Georgetown to Lexington every day, and it's not bad at all ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky