Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I agree with you for the most part, but you are making pretty lopsided comparisons. You don't mention Lexington's prettiest areas like Gratz Park, Ashland, Chevy Chase, South Hill... UK is a much nicer campus IMO than UL also and UK dominates the southern side of downtown. Of course Louisville will have a larger number of historic districts, because it is a much larger city. Regardless, they are both nice looking cities for the most part and it really wouldn't come into the equation IMO for choosing which one to live.
The BIGGEST difference is the sheer size and urbanity. Louisville is just an extremely bigger city compared to Lexington, just like Atlanta is extremely bigger compared to Louisville. Lexington's historic urban areas are so small that combined they are like a half of the Highlands, with less pedestrian activity of course. UK has a nicer campus than UL, but that is the only urban, walkable part of the city. The Cherry Hill district in Jeffersonville as well as the Silver Creek area in New Albany are more comprable to the historic areas of Lexington, and these are merely suburbs of Louisville. You have to remember that the Indiana part of the Louisville MSA is the size of Lexington-Fayette alone.
Both cities are pretty in their own way, but comparing them is not fair. No one would compare Louisville to Atlanta so why does Louisville get compared to Lexington? The only reason I can think is that people do not really know the true size of Louisville and most people coming from out of state know these only as the state's two major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7080982/untitled.jpg (broken link)
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7080984/untitled.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM

474 posts, read 1,261,464 times
Just want to say...beautiful pictures all around, regardless of where they were taken. Thanks for uploading them!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,003,472 times
If you're using the word "pretty" I first think of Lexington. Even though I looked at both and ended up in Lexington, I have no specific preference between the two. I really love many of the specific Louisville neighborhoods, but then I would quickly find myself on a really big road and would say "gosh, this is a really big city!" Given my timeframe for figuring something out, Louisville just turned out to be too overwhelming. But I am endlessly fascinated with the Louisville neighborhoods, especially the older ones, and their adjacent parks.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM

153 posts, read 938,242 times
Thank you for all the responses and the pictures. I'm leaning toward Lexington so far.

Any chance someone is doing a 'photo tour' of Lexington any time soon? There's one posted for Louisville I can't seem to find one for lexington.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,808,894 times
Lexington, KY Photo Thread - UrbanPlanet.org (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Lexington-KY-Photo-Threa-t29606.html - broken link)

These guys have taken some nice photos of the city.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 PM

12 posts, read 70,216 times
I think the area between louisville and lexington is absoutly gorgeous.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,157,390 times
Thumbs up Beauty Louisville or Lexington?

As a outsider looking in, and who has now done several drives around both Lexington and Louisville, I agree, both are beautiful. The cities themselves really shouldn't be compared like several have said, more like comparing a town with a city. Surrounding each city you will also find a tremendous amount of beauty. I found myself awestruck from both the gorgeous horse properties around Lexington to the tree covered lanes in Oldham County. I really need more photo's of Lexington countryside to show it compared to Louisville countryside [that I have shown on previous post on this forum under the Louisville link and also have posted them on Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing (http://www.flickr.com - broken link), just type in Oldham County, Kentucky, I'm the "wandering photo nut"]. I have also posted some shots of that area in-between Louisville-Lexington in both Shelby County and Franklin County. I plan on going back this March to take more photo's and scout some more. Plan on taking a lot more shots of the countryside around Lexington to give it equal share, and can't wait to show my girls the beauty everwhere in KY! Enjoy it all.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
The countryside outside of Louisville is very nice, but it is not unique. It is more typical of what you would find in any part of Kentucky.

The Inner Bluegrass horse country is unlike any place in the world, it is more similar to the countryside you'd find in England with it's stone fence lined lines and huge country estates

By the same token, Lexington is a nice, clean, but it's nothing unique. A couple of 20+ story buildings downtown, a few historic areas, and a large area of Americana Suburbia. Louisville's park system, designed by the greatest park architect in US history (Frederick Olmstead), and especially the 20+ miles of parkways connecting them are. Lou. also has a vibrant nightlife and huge areas of bohemian culture that many much larger cities don't have

Last edited by censusdata; 01-17-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM

171 posts, read 880,310 times
Default Question regarding English countryside feel....

Censusdata

You mentioned ..." Inner Bluegrass horse country is unlike any place in the world, it is more similar to the countryside you'd find in England with it's stone fence lined lines and huge country estates"

Since I am new at looking into your area, can you tell me which towns to find this area in? Tell me about the Inner Bluegrass.....I am unfamiliar with this term.

Thank you so much.
Kali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky