Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 09:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times

Advertisements

I don't know what you guys expect. Going from a mafia boss to Ronald Reagan was not gonna happen. Change in politics takes consistent pressure and bringing down multiple people. The republicans can continue to say Welch is a Madigan crony and as the Illinois exodus and financial situation worsens more and more people will turn on the democratic party (at least the existing one anyway). Cullerton retired seeing writing on wall. Madigan forced out as speaker. Burke indicted. Madigan still TBD. I have faith we can continue the purge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I don't know what you guys expect. Going from a mafia boss to Ronald Reagan was not gonna happen. Change in politics takes consistent pressure and bringing down multiple people. The republicans can continue to say Welch is a Madigan crony and as the Illinois exodus and financial situation worsens more and more people will turn on the democratic party (at least the existing one anyway). Cullerton retired seeing writing on wall. Madigan forced out as speaker. Burke indicted. Madigan still TBD. I have faith we can continue the purge...
LOL! Looks like we switched roles a bit. You think Chicago will decline and I'm optimistic it won't, and you think Illinois politics will begin improvement and I'm very cynical that it will. Anyway, certainly hope you're right but from everything I'm reading, this is a Machine guy who the media is afraid to cross. Not a good recipe for reform but I guess we'll see. Hopefully some voters are seeing through this and will send a message that reform is needed, versus being placated by this move.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Not really. The people of Illinois have done a very very poor job of voting and holding their leaders accountable. We are talking about a state that voted to retain a legally insane judge Cythia Brim, elected Balgojevich twice, and has muni elections in February with turnouts in the 20% range. The last local election I voted in was held in March in a church off the beaten path and used scantron pencil/ballots. I am pretty sure that was all intentional and the the turnout was less than 20% so only insiders with an agenda voted.

Also as more and more people get fed up and leave the state it leaves the insiders and apologists more and more entrenched.

I think it plausible there will be violent unrest among some of the people trapped here and start getting foreclosed on as they can't sell their homes and can't afford the taxes. There are some dark times ahead.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
LOL! Looks like we switched roles a bit. You think Chicago will decline and I'm optimistic it won't, and you think Illinois politics will begin improvement and I'm very cynical that it will. Anyway, certainly hope you're right but from everything I'm reading, this is a Machine guy who the media is afraid to cross. Not a good recipe for reform but I guess we'll see. Hopefully some voters are seeing through this and will send a message that reform is needed, versus being placated by this move.

haha oh I definitely think Illinois will decline...outside of Chicago Illinois is basically Nebraska with high debt, taxes, bad topography and weather. Chicago is a coin flip with remote work but as we've seen all the sunbelt states are booming.

On the politics side I think all of these bad factors like population loss, high taxes, increasing debt are starting to pile up and people see that with the fair tax BS that was almost passed. So I see the tide turning on democrats.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
haha oh I definitely think Illinois will decline...outside of Chicago Illinois is basically Nebraska with high debt, taxes, bad topography and weather. Chicago is a coin flip with remote work but as we've seen all the sunbelt states are booming.

On the politics side I think all of these bad factors like population loss, high taxes, increasing debt are starting to pile up and people see that with the fair tax BS that was almost passed. So I see the tide turning on democrats.
It's kind of like a Rust Belt Vermont, only with decaying formerly thriving towns like Cairo in place of quaint tourist towns, craft breweries and hand churned ice cream. I don't know, I'm sorry but Chris Welch's speakership isn't going to change things. If anything, it'll make things worse because the normally vocal Tribune has become silent, lest they be accused of bias and then cancelled. Not a single article or editorial on him today in their online edition. Unbelievable.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:34 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think it plausible there will be violent unrest among some of the people trapped here and start getting foreclosed on as they can't sell their homes and can't afford the taxes. There are some dark times ahead.
Actually a lot of people in distressed neighborhoods and suburbs have stopped paying their taxes because they know they can get away with it because their property is so worthless the county treasurer can't even get speculators to buy the delinquencies. And with nobody to buy the delinquencies, there's nobody to kick the owners out for not paying.

Last I found data on the matter, fully 10% of Cook County properties were delinquent on their taxes. I can only imagine that will grow a few percentage points in the Covid era.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 PM

WHOA!!!! Madigan vacates Springfield apartment. Might be a sign of upcoming resignation....fingers crossed!!!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...-house-speaker

Old 01-21-2021, 04:55 PM

21,931 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not really. The people of Illinois have done a very very poor job of voting and holding their leaders accountable. We are talking about a state that voted to retain a legally insane judge Cythia Brim, elected Balgojevich twice, and has muni elections in February with turnouts in the 20% range. The last local election I voted in was held in March in a church off the beaten path and used scantron pencil/ballots. I am pretty sure that was all intentional and the the turnout was less than 20% so only insiders with an agenda voted.

Also as more and more people get fed up and leave the state it leaves the insiders and apologists more and more entrenched.

Doesn't sound like you have been down Michigan Avenue lately.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:33 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Quote:
Chris Welch to replace Mike Madigan as speaker!!!!! Proof that if we stand together we can get rid of evil!!!! My hats off to the courageous 19 democrats who said no more to his tyranny!!!
Chris Welch, the same committee chair who just torpedoed the investigation of Madigan's involvement in the ComEd scandal and then lectured the committee Republicans for daring to smear Madigan's good name? Yeah, that's the guy I trust to provide ethical, transparent governance.

This state is fk'd.
Fast-forward three years: has anything changed? Have we seen even a head-fake toward improved governance?

Sooner or later, the familial obligations keeping me in this death-spiral of a state will cease to exist. And shortly thereafter, so too will my status as an Illinois resident.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:21 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Fast-forward three years: has anything changed? Have we seen even a head-fake toward improved governance?

Sooner or later, the familial obligations keeping me in this death-spiral of a state will cease to exist. And shortly thereafter, so too will my status as an Illinois resident.

I won't buy another house here, that's for certain.
Lately I have noticed governance forcing local businesses to change their bathroom signs.
It's nice to know our politicians are busy with these types of endeavors, on our dime.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...al/ar-AA1lNmse

Meanwhile, seems the law firm of Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe are simply delaying this until Madigan passes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois