Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,818 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family will be moving to the area soon and the research has begun!
It looks like there is going to be issues with I5 regardless of where we move so Gig harbor seems like a nice place. Is it worth paying the daily toll? Things that drew me to the area are the views, the little league, new YMCA and what seem to be better crime statistics. I have seen some info posted on this but none after the new bridge. So has it made a difference? My husbands commute will be to Madigan Army Hospital.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
The new bridge has better flow than it did before. Will still probably deal with i5 Rush hour traffic, but it won't be as bad since GH is past the Tacoma S curves.

Also, they have a monthly pass which would be a better deal, so go with that. Everyone I know that lives in GH LOVES it.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Thanks!

Does anyone actually make this drive? Could you tell me how long it takes? How would the lifestyle compare in UP?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
There are some people who live in GH that works in Ft. Lewis. Depending where you would live in GH, it should take 20-30 minutes (no traffic). One thing about Washington's traffic is that its unpredictable. You have Rush hour, yes... but people definitely are also rubberneckers-- most annoying thing ever, always slows down everything even when there's really nothing to see. I would be comfortable saying that your commute would not be 1+ hr.

Most people mentioned Ft. Lewis employees choosing to live in Lakewood, Steilacoom, Dupont and even Olympia. If you're looking for a family oriented place, definitely Steilacoom, Dupont and especially Olympia. Definitely will have less commute headaches and good school districts with those choices.

UP = University Place? It seems nice, but don't really know too much about it.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM

Yes, I meant University Place. Hopefully we can make a trip there soon to see in person. Thanks for your help

Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 PM

82 posts, read 478,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
UP = University Place? It seems nice, but don't really know too much about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6onthemove2 View Post
Yes, I meant University Place. Hopefully we can make a trip there soon to see in person. Thanks for your help
I grew up in UP, going through the public school system. I have not lived there since I graduated high school.

It's a nice city, with no particularly "bad" areas. About 30,000 people. Housing ranges from 2 bedroom apartments for <$1000/mo, to $1+ Million water view homes. I think most fall into upper-middle class. Housing has continually developed since my time there (1988-2002), typically by clearing forest/wooded area. It would be possible to find a house built in any of the last 4+ decades within the city limits.

Public schools are pretty good. Previous Blue Ribbon winner. One high school with graduating classes around 300. If private school is your thing, Charles Wright (K-12) is located in town, with Bellarmine Prep down the road in Tacoma.

New dunes style golf course built on some waterfront land is probably the biggest attraction (winning the 2015 US Open bid). The city is working on developing the land around the golf course into public use, beach access, walking paths, etc. It's a pretty spectacular area.

A new skate park seems to be pretty popular for the younger crowd. There is an active parks and recreation department to get kids on sports teams, summer camps, etc.

There isn’t much to do in the town (for better or worse). For most shopping, eating, YMCA, Hospital, etc. it’s about a 15-20 minute drive to your destination in Tacoma. I guess that’s what keeps a suburb a suburb though.

Hope this helps. I’d recommend visiting. With Gig Harbor just across the water it wouldn’t be tough to check out both in a single day.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 PM

82 posts, read 478,978 times
To answer your thread title question, it may be worth surfing the traffic cameras during rush hour..

WSDOT Tacoma Area Traffic - SR 16: Tacoma Narrows - Eastside

Here's a link to the monthly toll pass
WSDOT - Good To Go!

Was unable to find statistics on how much traffic has improved.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM

In the past we gave up acreage to avoid traffic and made sacrifices to live in the "city" near work (inner loop houston). I guess we have gotten used to it and really would prefer to keep our current lifestyle (close to everything). Years ago we would have been happy with the current choices. I guess part of the problem now is that Ft. Lewis is just not in the city. Though I may have the layout of things all wrong....Only a visit will clarify I suppose.
thank you

Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,581 times
UP is a it deceptive...it seems closer to Ft Lewis and Madigan than Gig Harbor, but the small 25MPH streets, tons of stop signs/lights, etc make it further from many things than Gig Harbor. I lived in UP for only about 13 months. I moved 8mi further away from my job in Tacoma at the time when I moved to Gig Harbor. Despite being 8mi further, it was about 4min less. And that was before the new bridge!
Depending on where in Gig Harbor you lived, Madigan would be 20-40min. mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-24-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: please DM to the person inquiring, thanks.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 PM

107 posts, read 402,766 times
If you want acreage, look south and east. Olympia, Lacey, Roy, Yelm, Graham, etc. Plenty of good options with easy access to the other entrances at Ft. Lewis. And unless the OP is driving to Madigan at 5 in the morning or 10 in the evening, there is no way they'll ever have a 20-30 minute commute. In the afternoon/evening during rush hour, it can take 5-10 minutes just to get from Madigan to the Interstate. And it's barely a mile. And then the first 3-5 miles on 5 will be slow and go until you get past 512.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington