Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times

Advertisements

"First flu victim to die in U.S. was born to wealth"

First flu victim to die in U.S. was born to wealth - Swine flu- msnbc.com

Since this thread is about "Swine Flu" - better known now as H1N1 Flu, I wanted to post the above article about the child who died. I've heard a lot of assumptions from people. This is the first time I knew how affluent this child's family was.

Additionally, while I knew the child had been shopping in the Galleria Mall in Houston (thus exposing others), I had never seen the dates previously. These raise new questions for me.

Shopping on April 7 and died on April 27. What happened in between that time? How many days was the child hospitalized/treated in Brownsville, TX before being moved to Houston? When he showed symptoms on April 8, what does that mean? Was he treated at home for something minor or go to the hospital for a high temperature and other symptoms? And what was his cause of death - pneumonia, dehydration or a combination of clinical problems of the flu?

If anyone has any links to articles about this tot and his 20 days, please add them. It makes a difference to me, and perhaps others, if symptoms look mild for X amount of time then get markedly worse Y days later. Or, was this little one severely ill the entire time?

I do know 16 healthcare workers involved with this child's care have all tested positive. I also know the CDC is challenging the date of when the outbreak really started in Mexico. This child would be one reason, let alone other cases.

I posted this article here after seeing a lot of headlines on Sat. with some government officials and others downplaying being vigilant about washing hands, keep the social distance from others etc. However, I've not seen the CDC or WHO lower the Level yet as cases are breaking out in countries the last 24 hrs. that previously didn't have any. Likewise, more states are listed in Saturday's updated than before, and per the current tv news, the Sunday (5/3) update from CDC about samples run on Sat. has not been released yet.

The headlines today show an increase in both total infections and deaths from H1N1. Are we to assume that means the flu is mutating or are people are getting sicker? Or is the real problem, as every major article states, there are thousands of samples that are backlogged to be samples. Is it the right samples are finally getting tested and the states are getting the results?

Your thoughts and links regarding the epidemology, symptoms, incubation period and specific info about this H1N1 outbreak are appreciated here. We'll see if Idaho's first case is confirmed in the Sunday update or not.

Hopefully, all infected will have a mild course and a full recovery.

Stay well

MSR

P.S. CDC now shows a 1 year old child infected. Previously, the child in this article was the youngest in the U.S. to have H1N1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Lightbulb CDC Buttons + No Idaho Tests Will Be Confirmed Before Tuesday

While checking the CDC page this a.m. I found this page. It says to post it any of the stickers on your own websites, if you have a website, or use them. Hope they help:

CDC - Social Media Tools for Consumers and Partners - Web Site Graphics: 2009 H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)

Plus, per this KIDK story, Confirmation of ANY cases of H1N1 flu in Idaho won't be done until probably Tuesday. (See 5th paragraph)

Swine Flu spreading; possible cases in Idaho | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | Local & Regional (http://www.kidk.com/news/local/43840117.html - broken link)

I personally hope that is wrong about still not knowing IF people test positive for H1N1 until Tuesday, 5/5/09. I know the state doesn't have their own testing kit yet.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-03-2009 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: If not of

Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,527,388 times
There was a lady coughing and sneezing at the PPiH class I took yesterday. I couldn't believe the teachers didn't say anything. By the looks on people's faces they were all privately uncomfortable. I sat as far from her as I could get. I even forfieted a turn, going outside when I got stuck in line next to her.

People, if you are coughing and sneezing, just stay at home, ok?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:42 PM

Ok, anyone who is really freaked out about swine flu should come by and work on pulling up dandelions with me, because for every 100 you pull up 1000 seem to take their place. That should help put the "epidemic" "pandemic" in perspective. Now that the human-pig-bird virus has jumped back from human to pig, I'm hopeful that when it jumps back it might become a human-pig-bird-dandelion virus.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Smile Comedy Does Help to Cope

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Ok, anyone who is really freaked out about swine flu should come by and work on pulling up dandelions with me, because for every 100 you pull up 1000 seem to take their place. That should help put the "epidemic" "pandemic" in perspective. Now that the human-pig-bird virus has jumped back from human to pig, I'm hopeful that when it jumps back it might become a human-pig-bird-dandelion virus.
NCM,

If you get volunteers for this work detail, let me know. My lawn next. Dandelions - ugh. Maybe DESERET RYDER or someone else should develop a stand up (or sit down) comedy routine based on dandelions. Nothing "dandy" in them for me.

I know if I were to write the jokes I've heard recently Sage would have to ban me from CDF.

I appreciate your humor here, NCM. It is scary to realize another mutation has already occurred for the N1H1 virus to go back to pigs. I can't remember the source now, but read somewhere that Alberta, CA was where several swine had tested positive.

Interesting about your class yesterday and coughing people. It seems like the instructor should have said something. But, it is easy to second guess and I wasn't there. Sounds like you made the best decision you could.

Stay well.

MSR

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
NCM,

If you get volunteers for this work detail, let me know. My lawn next. Dandelions - ugh. Maybe DESERET RYDER or someone else should develop a stand up (or sit down) comedy routine based on dandelions. Nothing "dandy" in them for me.

I know if I were to write the jokes I've heard recently Sage would have to ban me from CDF.

I appreciate your humor here, NCM. It is scary to realize another mutation has already occurred for the N1H1 virus to go back to pigs. I can't remember the source now, but read somewhere that Alberta, CA was where several swine had tested positive.

Interesting about your class yesterday and coughing people. It seems like the instructor should have said something. But, it is easy to second guess and I wasn't there. Sounds like you made the best decision you could.

Stay well.

MSR

Thanks MSR. I'm reading up on dandelion recipes. Seems if I just change rmy perspective they could contribute to my overall health and help me resist disease, like the swine flu.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Unhappy Idaho's First Confirmed H1N1 Case

The latest release from CDC shows Idaho's first confirmed case of H1N1:

CDC H1N1 Flu

Many of us have worried the incubation time (in vitro) was too short. Perhaps that is what the numbers from today show.

I don't know where this person is in Idaho; I don't know that it really matters unless some are at higher risk to be exposed than others.

If you have more info, please post. I know there was a NID case and some in eastern ID that were being followed.

Information disclosed today said 99% of the "probable cases" have tested positive. The question for me is after how long? The info about the child who died in TX made me rethink the time factor.

What do you think?

I hope all cases are mild and through voluntarily isolation, the rate of spread starts to decline.

MSR

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

445 posts, read 1,329,672 times
By the by, norcalmom101,

Although somewhat bitter, a fresh dandelion salad is very healthy and makes a fine beginning to a nice dinner. Seek out and tear up young, tender dandelion greens, discarding stems, pulpy parts or mature plants. Add chopped red onion, fresh basil and chopped tomato. Top with a heated bacon and balsamic vinegar dressing or a dressing made with a honey component.

If you intend to use dandelion greens from your own yard and you or your neighbors have dogs, disregard this recipe suggestion. Some supermarkets with organic sections sell fresh dandelion greens (like that source is dog-free).

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 AM

Unhappy First Idaho Case in NID, per CDC

Several sources report 7,000 doses of Tamiflu and other medical supplies are headed to Northern ID, including the Bonner County newspaper. It appears the first confirmed case of H1N1 is from NID.

CDC confirms Kootenai County swine flu case - KXLY.com: News, Weather and Sports for Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID |

All of you in NID stay safe. We need you here.

MSR

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
There was a lady coughing and sneezing at the PPiH class I took yesterday. I couldn't believe the teachers didn't say anything. By the looks on people's faces they were all privately uncomfortable. I sat as far from her as I could get. I even forfieted a turn, going outside when I got stuck in line next to her.

People, if you are coughing and sneezing, just stay at home, ok?
Norcalmom, thanks for posting that. I teach college classes, and yesterday a student was sitting in class, coughing up a storm . Normally I'd let that go and tune it out, because students just have frequent colds, and it's no big deal, and I have talked so much in class about taking flu precautions that I assumed the students knew the basic do's and don'ts. But then I remembered your post , and realized how uncomfortable he was making all the other students (and myself!), so I asked him, in a friendly manner, if he was feeling okay, and whether he had any other flu symptoms (which he denied having). I suggested he go to the college health center to be tested, just to be on the safe side, and he did, coughing. When he left the classroom, there was a huge sigh of relief from the other students! I wonder if I would have thought of intervening if it hadn't been for your post. I hope I didn't overreact, but better safe than sorry--for everyone's sake. Thank you for speaking up on this forum! And thanks, MSR, for your follow-op comment. That was a wake-up call for me. We may think we take all the right precautions, but sometimes what it takes is personal intervention, and we're often reluctant to take that extra step because we're preoccupied, or because it might be embarassing, or we might be wrong, etc., etc.
That being said, it looks like the flu is indeed spreading, but it may be milder than even normal influenzas, at least at this point. Down here schools are reopening, even though some students are sick. So I think we need not worry ourselves sick (haven't we all felt some symptoms by now?! ) over this outbreak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho