Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 07:40 AM

34 posts, read 15,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Agreed 100%. I'm sick and tired of our slow as molasses justice system. Arrest the perp, give 30 days for each side to build a case then get the trial going. If guilty then administer immediate sentencing. If death penalty they've got 7 days to appeal then it's off to the gallows or firing squad if the appeal is denied.
Haha, that's a little... uh, optimistic, but yes, I totally agree with the sentiments about "our slow as molasses justice system." While the parties "negotiate" regarding scheduling, the judge has the final say. Obviously the guilty defendant has reason to drag out the proceeding as long as possible, especially in a capital murder case. The judge has got to step in and set a reasonable date that doesn't "infringe the rights" of the accused. The accused's rights are not unlimited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 07:54 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,626,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar View Post
Haha, that's a little... uh, optimistic, but yes, I totally agree with the sentiments about "our slow as molasses justice system." While the parties "negotiate" regarding scheduling, the judge has the final say. Obviously the guilty defendant has reason to drag out the proceeding as long as possible, especially in a capital murder case. The judge has got to step in and set a reasonable date that doesn't "infringe the rights" of the accused. The accused's rights are not unlimited!
Agree and how is it reasonable for witnesses to testify years later when capacity to testify may be diminished.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:21 AM

34 posts, read 15,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar
The Statesman is subscription only. What's the new DNA technology that's causing some problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Nothing new that I can tell from reading the entire article, which by the way I'm not subscribed to.
Huh. Maybe because you're not in Idaho? I still can't get through the paywall.
Quote:
They got his DNA and uploaded it to an undisclosed genealogy website, which could be a violation of the terms of service for that website.
I found some info from CNN's site. It said "The FBI originally loaded the DNA profile from the knife sheath onto publicly available genealogy sites." If it's true the genealogy sites were "publicly available," then that evidence (and everything derived from it) should be admissible.

So that led them to the murderer's family. Then they got more DNA from the trash at the family's house. Evidence from trash has long been admissible. This apparently ID'd the murderer's father, which pretty well IDs the murderer.
Quote:
What makes this case different than the other 600 plus crimes that have been solved the same way, I have no clue. It just sounds like a lot of crying by the defence lawyer.
The defense is always going to cry for more time. Depending on the complexity of the case, or lack thereof, the judge has to put his foot down and set a date. Taking two months to determine whether a change of venue is necessary is ridiculous. Motions for changes of venue are almost never granted.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:49 AM

29,230 posts, read 22,478,488 times
Quote:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UniversalTraveler again."

Agreed 100%. I'm sick and tired of our slow as molasses justice system. Arrest the perp, give 30 days for each side to build a case then get the trial going. If guilty then administer immediate sentencing. If death penalty they've got 7 days to appeal then it's off to the gallows or firing squad if the appeal is denied.
This is exactly what happened with Christopher Tapp, an IF kid who ended up serving 25 years of a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit.

When he was finally proven innocent, the state paid him over a million dollars of our tax money for his unjust sentence. And Idaho Falls paid him $10 million more.

That's what happens after wrongful convictions.

And worse...
When rushing to justice convicts the wrong guy, the criminal is free to go kill more innocents. 20 are murdered instead of one or two.

The slowness is frustrating, but if it's making sure the correct person is receiving the correct punishment for the correct crime, that's not a bad thing.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:43 AM

15,517 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar View Post
Huh. Maybe because you're not in Idaho? I still can't get through the paywall.
The only thing i get is a popup telling me: "Welcome to Idaho Statesmen You must turn off your ad blocking software to view this article". So I switch to Reader View and see the article instantly. Alternatively I can use Nuke Anything and Poper Blocker to remove the popups and overlays to get down to the article. Browser extensions are your best friend.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:12 PM

147 posts, read 76,512 times
Quote:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UniversalTraveler again."

Something to think about that nobody ever has. IF were to take for example, the laws that were in place back in the scriptures, such as one that were to murder or rape was taken outside a city and stoned to death PERIOD if 2 or more witnesses were able to confirm the crime, we'd have near NOBODY in our jails. Think how wonderful it would be if ALL the murderers, rapists and gang bangers were simply eliminated from our society. Not kept in prisons and fed for a lifetime sucking our tax dollars for NO good reason. Wouldn't it be a much better society? They'd have less incentive to do the crimes they've committed as well. But Noooo we are such liberals that we have to keep the scum alive. So we WILL pay a price in more ways than one for NOT adhering to such sensibility.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:37 PM

564 posts, read 446,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is exactly what happened with Christopher Tapp, an IF kid who ended up serving 25 years of a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit.

When he was finally proven innocent, the state paid him over a million dollars of our tax money for his unjust sentence. And Idaho Falls paid him $10 million more.

That's what happens after wrongful convictions.

And worse...
When rushing to justice convicts the wrong guy, the criminal is free to go kill more innocents. 20 are murdered instead of one or two.

The slowness is frustrating, but if it's making sure the correct person is receiving the correct punishment for the correct crime, that's not a bad thing.
There will always be the VERY few who will slip through the cracks. It's happened in all of human history. Nothing will change this. Our problem is the slowness and severity of punishment. There is no real deterrent to crime and there needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
Something to think about that nobody ever has. IF were to take for example, the laws that were in place back in the scriptures, such as one that were to murder or rape was taken outside a city and stoned to death PERIOD if 2 or more witnesses were able to confirm the crime, we'd have near NOBODY in our jails. Think how wonderful it would be if ALL the murderers, rapists and gang bangers were simply eliminated from our society. Not kept in prisons and fed for a lifetime sucking our tax dollars for NO good reason. Wouldn't it be a much better society? They'd have less incentive to do the crimes they've committed as well. But Noooo we are such liberals that we have to keep the scum alive. So we WILL pay a price in more ways than one for NOT adhering to such sensibility.
Agree.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:21 AM

If you look at the historical statistics, speedy executions never were a deterrent.
In fact, executions have never been a deterrent, fast or slow.

For a fact though, Idaho is very slow to execute. This slowness comes from historic reasons; back around 1910, NID underwent a series or prolonged and very violent mine strikes.

The Governor at the time, Fred Stunenberg, called the White House for federal help, and troops were sent into the district.
They rounded up anyone and everyone on the streets who was male and without a woman or children at hand.
The men and boys were then herded into a high-fenced compound, and then simply left with no food, water, or shelter. With no charges and without any legal representation.

Several died, including one unfortunate who was handcuffed to a light post and forgotten, who died of exposure later that night.

Some of those arrested miners had killed people in the riots, which were very close to combat warfare; a train was highjacked, high explosives were used on both sides, as were Browning machine guns, and the mill at Burke was totall demolished by an explosion. The dead on both sides numbered over 50 over the course of the rioting- 4 to 5 days, as I recall.

When the local law tried to sort out the guilty from the innocent afterward, the hasty imprisonment along with the needless suffering it caused, made it impossible to prosecute.

This violence was spread over Wallace, Kellog, C'dA, and the small camps surrounding the mines throughout the district. Sheriffs, deputies, prosecutors, mayors, and councilmen all had their and their family's lives threatened for attempting to enforce the law, and ex-Gov. Stunenberg was assassinated after he lost re-election.
In the end, none of the perps, even the bomber who killed Stunenberg, was executed. Most of the killers were never charged at all.

This is largely why Idaho has been so slow to execute ever since. Our state got a large taste of what comes from haste, violence, and poor justice, and decided slow, steady and secure was the way to go when someone is charged with the death penalty.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:12 PM

7,401 posts, read 12,732,809 times
Kohberger claims that on the night of Nov.12-13 he has an alibi which his cellphone record can corroborate: He was driving around looking at the moon and stars.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...c-8cf9ed595fd2

So I looked up the weather around Moscow in the wee hours of the morning on Nov.13, 2022:
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...h=11&year=2022

Time Weather
12:33 am: Ice fog
12:53 am: Ice fog
1:53 am: Ice fog
2:53 am: Ice fog
3:17 am: Overcast
3:53 am: Ice fog
4:53 am: Overcast

Great weather for stargazing, right? Driving around for hours in ice fog/overcast? In case he says he was nowhere near Moscow, but driving around south of Pullman--does that make a difference?
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...h=11&year=2022

Nope, same weather.

Old 04-18-2024, 05:41 PM

The 2 Daybell trials have cost the state $3.6 Million so far over their 3-year time span.

And the Kohberger case has also cost Idaho $3.6 Million in far less time. This could be Idaho's most expensive criminal trial ever, I suspect, before it's all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho