Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,393,444 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I have been talking about moving to Florida for the longest time, and now, we finally said: screw it, let's go. We were cautious and fearful because of the economy, but we can't let the fear stop us. Hey, at least we have to try it, right?
Anyway - after talking to people, we feel like Weston could be a good choice for us. We have a 4 year old boy, by the way.
What can you tell me about Weston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
What are the most important things you want to hear about? We live in Weston and we like it here but as with most places there are pros and cons.

I would not move here without a job. The job market is poor and Weston is expensive. Without a job you will be very frustrated.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I care about school system, what type of people live in Weston, I heard it's family oriented...
I know my husband will be able to find work, it will be harder for me, because i work in fashion, and there is no fashion industry there. On the personal note, I'm so tired of fashion industry anyway, maybe it's my way to start fresh, new and do something else.

To be honest, I don't know how it's gonna be, I know we have enough savings to live on for 6 months to a year at least, my husband also has residual income coming in every months. We want to try and see, maybe we can make a life out there.
I've lived in NY for 17 years, Joel for 40, all his life, the climate, the rat race is killing us.

Or maybe Fort Lauderdale is a better option? My husband had worked for the top catering companies of Manhattan for 15 years.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM

98 posts, read 471,489 times
It is very family oriented and it's a beautiful place, if you want to see more than 500 pics, check westondailyphoto.com

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 PM

thanks!!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,380,514 times
There have also been a number of posts on Weston which you can search on this forum. There you will find enough information to answer any question you may have.

I have lived here for over 20-years. I came here at the right time, and bought at the right time. Yes, we have problems here, but other parts of the country have even worse problems. We love living here and Weston in particular.

Go to google maps and check out our proximity to major shopping, airports, highways, restaurants, and major medical facilities - you would be hard pressed to find a better location.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM

326 posts, read 1,454,066 times
I think it is boring suburbia. But if you have to choose a public school, Weston has a few of the best ones in Broward (it is all relative anyway) Do not discount other western towns, though, like Parkland, Coral Ridge: they have the same quality schools as Weston. Your commute may give you some hints on where exacltly you want to live.

If you can choose private, then east of I95 (even better, east of US1) is a world apart. It is really about what you like. I can't take Weston, gated communities, urban sprawl. For other people, this is exactly what they love. I like to be near the ocean (to actually smell it), old neighborhoods, houses one different form the other, the character that comes when a town has not been planned on paper, but has actually developed over time. I don't care for huge houses, so smaller, more expensive houses east of US1 are fine with me. You don't have to choose Weston, or the like, for safety. It won't guarantee it to you, unless you live in a gated community. But even if you choose a gated community, you can find them east of US1 as well (in Hollywood, for example).

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
I think it is boring suburbia. But if you have to choose a public school, Weston has a few of the best ones in Broward (it is all relative anyway) Do not discount other western towns, though, like Parkland, Coral Ridge: they have the same quality schools as Weston. Your commute may give you some hints on where exacltly you want to live.

If you can choose private, then east of I95 (even better, east of US1) is a world apart. It is really about what you like. I can't take Weston, gated communities, urban sprawl. For other people, this is exactly what they love. I like to be near the ocean (to actually smell it), old neighborhoods, houses one different form the other, the character that comes when a town has not been planned on paper, but has actually developed over time. I don't care for huge houses, so smaller, more expensive houses east of US1 are fine with me. You don't have to choose Weston, or the like, for safety. It won't guarantee it to you, unless you live in a gated community. But even if you choose a gated community, you can find them east of US1 as well (in Hollywood, for example).
You know, I'm not big into gated communities and urban sprawl as well. I HAVE lived in Brooklyn for so many years, I do prefer some kind of architecture. It's not the most important thing to me, but I do like to know if I can find what you like in the area then. What would you suggest that has more character or more culture then??

Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You know, I'm not big into gated communities and urban sprawl as well. I HAVE lived in Brooklyn for so many years, I do prefer some kind of architecture. It's not the most important thing to me, but I do like to know if I can find what you like in the area then. What would you suggest that has more character or more culture then??
That's a bit tough. I have lived in many places, and will tell you without sounding too biased that Weston looks like most SW Broward suburbs. While some here will tell you it's the best, I see no big difference in Weston, West Pembroke Pines, West Davie, West Miramar, and even Coral Springs (which is not SW Broward). It's a matter of choice.

If I were to post the same pictures westonphotodaily has, on a different website, without telling most South Floridians anything, and asked them to tell me where these houses were located, most would not be able to tell me. (Im almost 100% sure)

Aside from a few landmarks, (if you want to call it that) Weston looks like most of SW Broward. Not much sets it apart. Dont get me wrong, it's a nice place, but it's by no means unique.

I will tell you it is well maintained (like all of SW Broward county, West of Flamingo Rd. ihmo), there are good schools. You have the cookie-cutter houses/subdivisions, family environment that most middle class professionals could appreciate. Diversity, you will have some, but it's no South Brooklyn or Lower West/East Side.
It's no Brooklyn Heights or Buckhead/Sandy Springs, GA, but it's cool.

To finally answer your question:

To find what you are looking for in terms of character (speaking of neighborhoods, diverse in architecture etc), there are very few. If your pockets are deep enough, you will like being near Ft Lauderdale Beach, as vvolin stated. There are some nice houses around there, most houses are unique in architecture, and most properties are individually gated. They are not in subdivisions. That's the closest you'll feel from some level of individuality, and variety so to speak. Less suburban.

South Florida does not have that cosmopolitan architecture/feel or a metropolis so to speak. I'm a big city guy, and from what I see, you may be the type that would probably appreciate NYC (which you are from), Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle and such.

But if you have work waiting for you, and are the open to new ideas and lifestlye, give it a try....In this short life, you wouldn't have much to lose by trying it out, right?

Oh, one more thing.....You are leaving one rat race for another!!! That, you will see my dear. I couldn't be more honest!! Good Luck!!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That's a bit tough. I have lived in many places, and will tell you without sounding too biased that Weston looks like most SW Broward suburbs. While some here will tell you it's the best, I see no big difference in Weston, West Pembroke Pines, West Davie, West Miramar, and even Coral Springs (which is not SW Broward). It's a matter of choice.

If I were to post the same pictures westonphotodaily has, on a different website, without telling most South Floridians anything, and asked them to tell me where these houses were located, most would not be able to tell me. (Im almost 100% sure)

Aside from a few landmarks, (if you want to call it that) Weston looks like most of SW Broward. Not much sets it apart. Dont get me wrong, it's a nice place, but it's by no means unique.

I will tell you it is well maintained (like all of SW Broward county, West of Flamingo Rd. ihmo), there are good schools. You have the cookie-cutter houses/subdivisions, family environment that most middle class professionals could appreciate. Diversity, you will have some, but it's no South Brooklyn or Lower West/East Side.
It's no Brooklyn Heights or Buckhead/Sandy Springs, GA, but it's cool.

To finally answer your question:

To find what you are looking for in terms of character (speaking of neighborhoods, diverse in architecture etc), there are very few. If your pockets are deep enough, you will like being near Ft Lauderdale Beach, as vvolin stated. There are some nice houses around there, most houses are unique in architecture, and most properties are individually gated. They are not in subdivisions. That's the closest you'll feel from some level of individuality, and variety so to speak. Less suburban.

South Florida does not have that cosmopolitan architecture/feel or a metropolis so to speak. I'm a big city guy, and from what I see, you may be the type that would probably appreciate NYC (which you are from), Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle and such.

But if you have work waiting for you, and are the open to new ideas and lifestlye, give it a try....In this short life, you wouldn't have much to lose by trying it out, right?

Oh, one more thing.....You are leaving one rat race for another!!! That, you will see my dear. I couldn't be more honest!! Good Luck!!
Thank you soo much for your input, I found it helpful!

And yeah - I guess, life in itself is a rat race, I guess I will wait until I'm 60... lol ...but at least for me, it's easier to handle rat race in the constant summer (I love the heat), then in the freezing, nasty, rainy, cloudy, cold NY. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area