Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,430,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Are people health consious there? Are there health food stores...organic stores, farmer's markets??
I'd say so. But like everywhere else, you have your health nuts, and you have your average couch potato. If that's what you are, you will more than likely hang around that type and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:58 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,384,221 times
Default Sections of Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
If you have the money, try Pinecrest in Miami-Dade County.
Also do not rule out other areas in downtown Fort Lauderdale where some of the older homes east of 3rd Ave have the charm and unique architectecture that you are seeking. The downside of this is that you pay a hefty premium for these homes including taxes.

Up in Boca there is a small area near the university of Mizner type homes which are charming and elegant.

Add to that the section that Compelled mentioned - and this by far does not complete the list.

You really have to come down and explore the area.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Thank you Momma Bear, Ruski and Desilei for replying. Definitely all things will be considered.

Further questions:
What is the average price that babysitters charge around there?
How much will the pre-K cost (on the average)?

As I mentioned before, we are not buying anything yet, we will just be renting and see what happens. We'll give it 6 months to a year. Catering is not joel's main thing anymore, he graduated from School of Integrative Nutrition and counsels people through chiropractor's offices and health food stores. Which brings me to more questions:

Are people health consious there? Are there health food stores...organic stores, farmer's markets??
I can't really help with babysitting. My oldest kids are 15 and 13 and they are able to look after their younger brother if we are out for a few hours. If we are out longer my parents can usually take them. I haven't used a babysitter in a few years. Ditto for preschool.

People are fairly health concious here. Publix (the largest supermarket chain in the area) carries a fairly large selection of natural and organic foods. Anything I cannot get at Publix I get at Whole Foods, which is in Plantation, around 20 minutes away. I buy natural poultry at a butcher in Hollywood which is around half an hour away. There is another natural supermarket called Fresh Market in Pembroke Pines. I have never been there as I usually go to Whole Foods.

Honestly, I can get most of what I need at Publix. We eat mostly natural and organic foods, although we do allow some junky stuff now and then. THere is no Trader Joe's here which would be great.

Every time I post I'm going to tell you-Don't come without work. Even if the work is of the temporary sort, get work first. Then come. We would be happy to have you.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,399,730 times
Quote:
Every time I post I'm going to tell you-Don't come without work. Even if the work is of the temporary sort, get work first. Then come. We would be happy to have you.
Thanks for all above info.
But can't you see? The type of work that Joel does - he can't get it UNLESS he lives there!!!!!!!!!!!! How is he supposed to get the clients/connections and networking in Florida while he is here working/living in NY? We are not talking about full time 9 to 5 here. Quite honestly - I'm not looking for advice on whether or not we should be moving, we are moving regardless. The question is what area exactly is best for us.
We are very cautious people and we would not be moving if we knew we are putting ourselves in danger of ending up without a roof above our heads. That's all. Please don't mention anything about work again.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all above info.
But can't you see? The type of work that Joel does - he can't get it UNLESS he lives there!!!!!!!!!!!! How is he supposed to get the clients/connections and networking in Florida while he is here working/living in NY? We are not talking about full time 9 to 5 here. Quite honestly - I'm not looking for advice on whether or not we should be moving, we are moving regardless. The question is what area exactly is best for us.
We are very cautious people and we would not be moving if we knew we are putting ourselves in danger of ending up without a roof above our heads. That's all. Please don't mention anything about work again.

Take it easy. You didn't have to snap at her like that. She's trying to help, that's all. No one knows your exact situation, these are just words of wisdom. You asked for advice, you're getting it!!

Relax with that nonsense already. That snappy attitude gave us NY'ers a bad rep down here, so slow down on the defensive tone. People were just helping. Just move here then, and do your own research and networking.... Good Luck!! (I think I'm done with you) .

Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Take it easy. You didn't have to snap at her like that. She's trying to help, that's all. No one knows your exact situation, these are just words of wisdom. You asked for advice, you're getting it!!

Relax with that nonsense already. That snappy attitude gave us NY'ers a bad rep down here, so slow down on the defensive tone. People were just helping. Just move here then, and do your own research and networking.... Good Luck!! (I think I'm done with you) .
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but please, understand, I'm hearing this type of thing every day from everyone. I don't think I snapped at her, I just asked her to stop talking about work situation, and i have been giving her reps for her advice, I do appreciate it a lot...if you look back at her messages, every single one talks about work. If I needed advice on whether or not to move, that's not how I would approach my questions.
Anyway - I appreciate the help you gave me so far, and i'm okay if you are "done with me".

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but please, understand, I'm hearing this type of thing every day from everyone. I don't think I snapped at her, I just asked her to stop talking about work situation, and i have been giving her reps for her advice, I do appreciate it a lot...if you look back at her messages, every single one talks about work. If I needed advice on whether or not to move, that's not how I would approach my questions.
Anyway - I appreciate the help you gave me so far, and i'm okay if you are "done with me".

It's cool. I just thought the advice about finding work first was golden. If you're hearing it from everyone, it's because it holds weight. It's a step above important.

No love lost. Anything else, feel free to ask. I don't hold grudges, I'll help as much as I can.

If you come down and money's no issue, try Downtown Ft Lauderdale or by the beach area. You'll thank me.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
It's cool. I just thought the advice about finding work first was golden. If you're hearing it from everyone, it's because it holds weight. It's a step above important.

No love lost. Anything else, feel free to ask. I don't hold grudges, I'll help as much as I can.

If you come down and money's no issue, try Downtown Ft Lauderdale or by the beach area. You'll thank me.
Thank you so much, I'm glad we are all good... :-)

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM

99 posts, read 304,595 times
Hi Max's Mama,

Moving from NYC to SoFla is going to be a big change - but that is exactly what people want to do it for. You will miss NYC but if you pick the right place to live, you may just get the change you want. Broward is split up into several areas, the coast, central, and the west. The gated communities of Weston, and so on, have become the shining beacon for families with school-aged children because they have the best schools. Not just the best grade school, but all levels. Other areas lack great schools from grade school through high school. See greatschools.net.

Weston provides a variety of neighborhoods and price points, lots and lots of stuff for the kids to do, some great restaurants, and easy access to highways that will get you somewhere else.

The coast is the "old" part of town, and it is littered with small pockets of great neighborhoods. The entire area of South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties) have grown into one large megalopolis. Renting first will help you navigate the area and find a place to call your own.

Money is a big factor - of course. On the coast, you can live on water or near the water and be close to the beaches. Which is a lovely place. However, FTL beach is completely different from Hollywood Beach, as is Delray and South Beach in Miami. Do you like boating, then you want to be near the coast.

Central Broward is for people who want/need to be near the coast and don't want to live way out in Weston, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Parkland or Miramar. Fairly good schools in the same area as very bad schools (per the grading system provided for the schools in our area - a bad school is a school that does not score an A - that is my definition of a bad school.) Private schools are all over, and are viable options.

Good restaurants are all over, and so are the many, many, many chain restaurants. Nightlife - that depends on what you are looking for. South Florida is a great place to stay healthy and I have seen many health conscience stores popping up, and farmer's markets and co-op groups.

I think Floridians forget where they live sometimes and they poo-poo the area. We have crime and problems, and taxes, insurance are a headache, but we have the Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico is only 1 hr away, we have ocean breezes and beautiful winter days. I have lived here 20 years and I still find new things to enjoy. If you come with a mind for exploring, have money to spare, you can really enjoy it.

I live in Plantation, but if I had my choice, I would live near the coast, within walking distance of Las Olas, and biking distance to the beach. Not for suntanning, but for the pure joy of the breezes and the rolling waves. Las Olas is changing and has been getting better each year now for close to 15 years now. Being able to walk out to a place to eat and people watch would be nice - you will like it down here. I'll try to think of more pieces of advice that I can give.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaLaczko View Post
Hi Max's Mama,

Moving from NYC to SoFla is going to be a big change - but that is exactly what people want to do it for. You will miss NYC but if you pick the right place to live, you may just get the change you want. Broward is split up into several areas, the coast, central, and the west. The gated communities of Weston, and so on, have become the shining beacon for families with school-aged children because they have the best schools. Not just the best grade school, but all levels. Other areas lack great schools from grade school through high school. See greatschools.net.

Weston provides a variety of neighborhoods and price points, lots and lots of stuff for the kids to do, some great restaurants, and easy access to highways that will get you somewhere else.

The coast is the "old" part of town, and it is littered with small pockets of great neighborhoods. The entire area of South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties) have grown into one large megalopolis. Renting first will help you navigate the area and find a place to call your own.

Money is a big factor - of course. On the coast, you can live on water or near the water and be close to the beaches. Which is a lovely place. However, FTL beach is completely different from Hollywood Beach, as is Delray and South Beach in Miami. Do you like boating, then you want to be near the coast.

Central Broward is for people who want/need to be near the coast and don't want to live way out in Weston, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Parkland or Miramar. Fairly good schools in the same area as very bad schools (per the grading system provided for the schools in our area - a bad school is a school that does not score an A - that is my definition of a bad school.) Private schools are all over, and are viable options.

Good restaurants are all over, and so are the many, many, many chain restaurants. Nightlife - that depends on what you are looking for. South Florida is a great place to stay healthy and I have seen many health conscience stores popping up, and farmer's markets and co-op groups.

I think Floridians forget where they live sometimes and they poo-poo the area. We have crime and problems, and taxes, insurance are a headache, but we have the Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico is only 1 hr away, we have ocean breezes and beautiful winter days. I have lived here 20 years and I still find new things to enjoy. If you come with a mind for exploring, have money to spare, you can really enjoy it.

I live in Plantation, but if I had my choice, I would live near the coast, within walking distance of Las Olas, and biking distance to the beach. Not for suntanning, but for the pure joy of the breezes and the rolling waves. Las Olas is changing and has been getting better each year now for close to 15 years now. Being able to walk out to a place to eat and people watch would be nice - you will like it down here. I'll try to think of more pieces of advice that I can give.
wow...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area