Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,926,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You know, I'm not big into gated communities and urban sprawl as well. I HAVE lived in Brooklyn for so many years, I do prefer some kind of architecture. It's not the most important thing to me, but I do like to know if I can find what you like in the area then. What would you suggest that has more character or more culture then??
If you have the money, try Pinecrest in Miami-Dade County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:08 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
If you have the money, try Pinecrest in Miami-Dade County.
Thanks!

What we are thinking is that we will rent first, while we are renting, it will give us an opportunity to check out all the areas around us and see if we can make a living there, while we are not locked in into anything.

I have lots of follow-up questions for anyone willing to contribute:

How are the restaurants in Weston or towns around it?

What type of people make the majority there? I heard that Weston has a lot of snobby people, since we will barely know anyone there, it will be very important for me to find a friend or two, maybe some moms with children my son's age, somebody I can relate to, real people.

Are snakes really a problem (kinda got scared from that snake thread on this forum) or it's just slightly bothersome?

What about nightlife? What about things to do on the weekend?

If i was to live in the rental community, what is the likelyhood for us to find people we can be friends with within the community? My husband and I are generally very social people and very friendly.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,926,795 times
Quote:
Thanks!

What we are thinking is that we will rent first, while we are renting, it will give us an opportunity to check out all the areas around us and see if we can make a living there, while we are not locked in into anything.

Good move

I have lots of follow-up questions for anyone willing to contribute:

How are the restaurants in Weston or towns around it?

One thing I like about Weston is that there aren't too many chains. You can get almost anything except for good Chinese (Parc 28 was OK but I saw 2 roaches there) or middle eastern, and there is an especially high concentration of South American restaurants/bakeries. That being said, the restaurants around here tend to be a little overpriced.

What type of people make the majority there? I heard that Weston has a lot of snobby people, since we will barely know anyone there, it will be very important for me to find a friend or two, maybe some moms with children my son's age, somebody I can relate to, real people.

There are a few snobs and that can be annoying, but it's mostly just young families. While it's there, I don't find snobbishness to be prevalent. Also, there is a very heavy Hispanic population compared to surrounding communities, if that matters.

Are snakes really a problem (kinda got scared from that snake thread on this forum) or it's just slightly bothersome?

Slightly bothersome, if at all.

What about nightlife? What about things to do on the weekend?

There are a couple clubs in Weston Town Center, a few more scattered through the surrounding areas, but the hotspots are Las Olas and coastal Miami-Dade, none of which is more than 45 minutes away. As far as weekends, Weston hosts a couple of festivals, but most cultural activities are in Miami-Dade or Ft. Lauderdale. There is plenty of nightlife, but culture tends to be less accessible and more expensive than NY.

If i was to live in the rental community, what is the likelyhood for us to find people we can be friends with within the community? My husband and I are generally very social people and very friendly.

I don't live in a rental community, but I'm doing just fine. I'm pretty good friends with all of my neighbors. I can't really tell you whether you will have this kind of experience or not, since making friends seems to be just as much strategy as it is luck.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I hope this helps.
It does! I was so happy that you were compelled to reply!!! :-)

Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
I care about school system, what type of people live in Weston, I heard it's family oriented...
I know my husband will be able to find work, it will be harder for me, because i work in fashion, and there is no fashion industry there. On the personal note, I'm so tired of fashion industry anyway, maybe it's my way to start fresh, new and do something else.

To be honest, I don't know how it's gonna be, I know we have enough savings to live on for 6 months to a year at least, my husband also has residual income coming in every months. We want to try and see, maybe we can make a life out there.
I've lived in NY for 17 years, Joel for 40, all his life, the climate, the rat race is killing us.

Or maybe Fort Lauderdale is a better option? My husband had worked for the top catering companies of Manhattan for 15 years.
The economy here is at a standstill. Do not assume your husband will find work here. The catering business is slow.

It is a difficult time for you to start in a new industry. You will be competing against the many unemployed people who already have experience in whatever field you are trying to break into.

I really like FL and we have been happy here, but please do not move here without a job. It is not cheap to live here and the job market is very poor.

Weston is heavily Jewish and heavily Hispanic (not only Cuban). People are well educated and make incomes that are higher than average, although you do not have to be super rich to live here.

The schools in FL are not that great compared to the NY suburbs. Weston has the best public schools in Broward County.

You may very well be able to make a life here, but try to line up a job first. People from NY (I grew up on LI, then lived in CT and Westchester as an adult) often think living here will be a whole lot cheaper than living in NY but our experience is that although it is somewhat less expensive in some ways, there are others that make up for it. We were able to buy a larger house in FL but our property taxes are the same as they were in Westchester. Our homeowners insurance is about 6 times what it was in NY. Things like groceries cost about the same.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,839,997 times
One big advantage of Weston is that it really doesn't have any bad parts.

Also there are no through streets. People usually only drive to Weston if they have some business there or are visiting friends.

Other towns have a lot of through traffic.

It is easy to reach any place from Weston - beaches, other towns, clubs, museums, airports, etc. And at the end of the day, it is nice to come back the quiet home town that Weston is.

There are nice places to eat right in Weston, but it is easy enough to take a ride even to Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach (one hour south) or Boston's in Delray Beach (one hour North). Or a bunch of nice restaurants in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,839,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Weston is heavily Jewish and heavily Hispanic (not only Cuban). People are well educated and make incomes that are higher than average, although you do not have to be super rich to live here.
Not Cuban at all. Most of Weston's large hispanic population is Venezuelan. They even call it Westonzuela.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post

There are nice places to eat right in Weston, but it is easy enough to take a ride even to Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach (one hour south) or Boston's in Delray Beach (one hour North). Or a bunch of nice restaurants in Fort Lauderdale.
We ate at Jackson's last night.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 16,295 times
Weston is a meticulously maintained, expensive place to live. There are good places to eat, but for more entertainment you would have to leave the town and head east. Nightlife is in the city, from Las Olas to South Beach. Weston is located right by I-595 which will take you straight to Ft. Lauderdale. It is also right by I-75 which goes down to Miami.

I consider it a great location so long as you have a car, because everything is so far from everything else by bike/walking. As far as public transit, it's practically non-existent. The only bus travels down the very edge of Weston (along Weston Road) where it borders Sunrise. That bus will take you between Sawgrass Mills Mall, a Broward College campus branch, and Pembroke Lakes mall.

Yes, you're going to encounter snobbish people. There are plenty around here. But with a city 50-60k strong there are going to be people you can relate to. If you involve your child in extracurricular activities (which are big around here with parents) then you're going to meet plenty of people. I babysit for a couple families in my neighborhood, and one of them has a son around the age of yours. The parents are all what I would consider good people, but still with that superficial, Weston attitude that nobody around here can seem to shake.

Snakes really aren't a problem. There are just a few once-in-a-while encounters with harmless ringneck snakes (at least in my experience.) This is a humid, warm environment with plenty of creatures roaming around. Keep in mind that Weston is the city closest to the Everglades. Lots of opposums and raccoons, and they're probably going to cause you more trouble than any snake when they dig through garbage.

Overall, Weston comes with the good and the bad. What you give up in entertainment, you gain in low crime rates. What you give up on with the cost of living, you gain in a clean-looking town with good schools. In all honesty, you can look towards surrounding towns for a better price on rental homes. There isn't much of a difference. I would look around the area but not limit myself to Weston.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Thank you Momma Bear, Ruski and Desilei for replying. Definitely all things will be considered.

Further questions:
What is the average price that babysitters charge around there?
How much will the pre-K cost (on the average)?

As I mentioned before, we are not buying anything yet, we will just be renting and see what happens. We'll give it 6 months to a year. Catering is not joel's main thing anymore, he graduated from School of Integrative Nutrition and counsels people through chiropractor's offices and health food stores. Which brings me to more questions:

Are people health consious there? Are there health food stores...organic stores, farmer's markets??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area