Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,843,938 times

Advertisements

Yes, it gets cold here in the winter Especially after you have lived here for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,399,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Hey, they don't call it Alligator Alley for nothing.

If you drive from Weston to Naples on a cold, but sunny winter day, you will see them out on the banks of the canal that runs along the highway, one next to the other, closer than railroad ties. They get out of the cold water and lie in the warm sun.
That's good to know...
How cold does it really get though? NY winters are beyond nasty for my taste.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM

This winter it came down to freezing for a short time. Some areas north (Orlando) went below freezing.

It is pretty typical to have a few cold waves come through when it gets down to the 50's or even 40's at night.

Anything cooler than 70 is too cold for me now. I start shivering.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
This winter it came down to freezing for a short time. Some areas north (Orlando) went below freezing.

It is pretty typical to have a few cold waves come through when it gets down to the 50's or even 40's at night.

Anything cooler than 70 is too cold for me now. I start shivering.
You know, this past January, I would pay to have a 50 degrees day, but I do understand where you are coming from. After being spoiled with hot hot Florida days, 50 degrees may feel very cold.
I actually think this could be a good thing - nice little break from the heat.
I do looooove hot weather and we have been talking about moving to the south for a long time

Old 05-11-2009, 08:07 PM

20 posts, read 57,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Thank you for your input! I will respond to your DM too.
Seems like babysitting prices are comparible to Brooklyn, and so as the school. Right now, I'm paying $600 months for 5 full days in school, I think it's a cheaper side too.

One thing I love so far about Weston is how close it is to everything. I mean an hour to Miami? Can't beat that! We now commute one hour on the train to the new york city daily. 45 minutes to Fort Lauderdale or Naples? I mean 1 hour commute is nothing for us. We are soooo used to it.
Yes, it is close to several great towns. The only place I'll miss being close to is Orlando (Disney and all that fun stuff) but it's still not that far really.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM

20 posts, read 57,389 times
Quote:
Yes, it gets cold here in the winter Especially after you have lived here for a few years.
Yep! My blood is thinning out. 60 degrees is cold to me now. The worst months in Florida (IMO) are July/August/September. I think it's really the humidity. Florida has a different kind of "hot". It's the type of hot that you can't breath and when you step out of the house you sweat but everything is air conditioned and there are plenty of indoor activities.

Our summer is like your winter. We stay indoors.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM

But even when it is hot, it rarely hits 100.

Orlando is only 3 hours away. Very doable. I wouldn't want to live there with all the tourists and such. But nice to visit every once in a while.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Thank you for your input! I will respond to your DM too.
Seems like babysitting prices are comparible to Brooklyn, and so as the school. Right now, I'm paying $600 months for 5 full days in school, I think it's a cheaper side too.

One thing I love so far about Weston is how close it is to everything. I mean an hour to Miami? Can't beat that! We now commute one hour on the train to the new york city daily. 45 minutes to Fort Lauderdale or Naples? I mean 1 hour commute is nothing for us. We are soooo used to it.
Half an hour to Fort Lauderdale. More than an hour to Naples unless you travel really fast. My husband has gotten a ticket every time our son has had a wrestling tournament in Naples so you have to be careful speeding on the Alley.

There are no trains here. Where in the suburbs are you located? We live in Cortlandt Manor when we were in NY. I grew up near Lake Ronkonkoma.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Half an hour to Fort Lauderdale. More than an hour to Naples unless you travel really fast. My husband has gotten a ticket every time our son has had a wrestling tournament in Naples so you have to be careful speeding on the Alley.

There are no trains here. Where in the suburbs are you located? We live in Cortlandt Manor when we were in NY. I grew up near Lake Ronkonkoma.
Believe it or not, we are in Brooklyn! It takes me on hour and 10 minutes door to door to get from Bensonhurst to mid-town Manhattan where I work.
I think it will be a good break for me to not use the subway anymore. I calculated, I spend about 10 hours a week/40 hours a months/480 hours a year on the train - for the past 10 years, not counting a year I took off work when my son was born.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, we are in Brooklyn! It takes me on hour and 10 minutes door to door to get from Bensonhurst to mid-town Manhattan where I work.
I think it will be a good break for me to not use the subway anymore. I calculated, I spend about 10 hours a week/40 hours a months/480 hours a year on the train - for the past 10 years, not counting a year I took off work when my son was born.

WOW!!! When I lived in Cortland Manor it took me about the same amount of time to get to my workplace in lower Manhattan. My DH worked in midtown and it only took him around 50 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area