Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I can't really help with babysitting. My oldest kids are 15 and 13 and they are able to look after their younger brother if we are out for a few hours. If we are out longer my parents can usually take them. I haven't used a babysitter in a few years. Ditto for preschool.

People are fairly health concious here. Publix (the largest supermarket chain in the area) carries a fairly large selection of natural and organic foods. Anything I cannot get at Publix I get at Whole Foods, which is in Plantation, around 20 minutes away. I buy natural poultry at a butcher in Hollywood which is around half an hour away. There is another natural supermarket called Fresh Market in Pembroke Pines. I have never been there as I usually go to Whole Foods.

Honestly, I can get most of what I need at Publix. We eat mostly natural and organic foods, although we do allow some junky stuff now and then. THere is no Trader Joe's here which would be great.

Every time I post I'm going to tell you-Don't come without work. Even if the work is of the temporary sort, get work first. Then come. We would be happy to have you.

^^^
Fresh Market is great. Hehe, you will encounter some snobby people there.

Not exactly like Grace's or Agatha&Valentina or Balducci's in NYC or Scarsdale, but quite good still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

20 posts, read 57,357 times
Hi!

I sent you a DM.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:00 PM

If you choose to live near the coast however, you will need to be prepared for occasional mandatory evacuation during hurricanes. Plus coastal areas have older infrastructure and you may live without electric power/phone/cable/running water for a while once the hurricane passes.

Most of Weston has electric and phone lines buried and handles hurricanes better.

During Wilma, we only lost power for 30-40 minutes and didn't lose phone/DSL at all.

The rest of Broward was a sad picture, many people lived without power/water for 3-4 weeks.

Something to consider.

Oh yeah, from Weston, it is only about 1 hour to Naples. If you can drive 100 that is (unimaginable speeds in NYC, eh) P.S. about speed - don't go hog wild right away, learn the area, figure out where you can and where you can't, when you can and when you can't

Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 57,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Thank you Momma Bear, Ruski and Desilei for replying. Definitely all things will be considered.

Further questions:
What is the average price that babysitters charge around there?
How much will the pre-K cost (on the average)?

As I mentioned before, we are not buying anything yet, we will just be renting and see what happens. We'll give it 6 months to a year. Catering is not joel's main thing anymore, he graduated from School of Integrative Nutrition and counsels people through chiropractor's offices and health food stores. Which brings me to more questions:

Are people health consious there? Are there health food stores...organic stores, farmer's markets??

I sent you a DM but to answer some of your questions above:

Babysitting: I currently live in Sebastian, Florida. (2.5 hours north of Weston.) We pay anywhere between $10 - $12 an hour for babysitting (one child). I think it would be comparable in Weston. I found my babysitter on sittercity.com.

Preschool: I've researched several preschools in and around Weston and the prices really depend on how many days per week you plan to enroll your child. My DD will go to preschool 3X a week (half days) and I will be paying $345 per month if that helps.

Health: I have never seen so many active people as I have in Weston. It would be very rare to be driving around Weston without seeing a bunch of cyclists, moms walking their babies in strollers or joggers, etc. They have two gyms in Weston which I've heard are quiet popular. The YMCA of Weston is very new. They have tons of activities, classes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy78901 View Post
I sent you a DM but to answer some of your questions above:

Babysitting: I currently live in Sebastian, Florida. (2.5 hours north of Weston.) We pay anywhere between $10 - $12 an hour for babysitting (one child). I think it would be comparable in Weston. I found my babysitter on sittercity.com.

Preschool: I've researched several preschools in and around Weston and the prices really depend on how many days per week you plan to enroll your child. My DD will go to preschool 3X a week (half days) and I will be paying $345 per month if that helps.

Health: I have never seen so many active people as I have in Weston. It would be very rare to be driving around Weston without seeing a bunch of cyclists, moms walking their babies in strollers or joggers, etc. They have two gyms in Weston which I've heard are quiet popular. The YMCA of Weston is very new. They have tons of activities, classes, etc.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your input! I will respond to your DM too.
Seems like babysitting prices are comparible to Brooklyn, and so as the school. Right now, I'm paying $600 months for 5 full days in school, I think it's a cheaper side too.

One thing I love so far about Weston is how close it is to everything. I mean an hour to Miami? Can't beat that! We now commute one hour on the train to the new york city daily. 45 minutes to Fort Lauderdale or Naples? I mean 1 hour commute is nothing for us. We are soooo used to it.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
If you choose to live near the coast however, you will need to be prepared for occasional mandatory evacuation during hurricanes. Plus coastal areas have older infrastructure and you may live without electric power/phone/cable/running water for a while once the hurricane passes.

Most of Weston has electric and phone lines buried and handles hurricanes better.

During Wilma, we only lost power for 30-40 minutes and didn't lose phone/DSL at all.

The rest of Broward was a sad picture, many people lived without power/water for 3-4 weeks.

Something to consider.

Oh yeah, from Weston, it is only about 1 hour to Naples. If you can drive 100 that is (unimaginable speeds in NYC, eh) P.S. about speed - don't go hog wild right away, learn the area, figure out where you can and where you can't, when you can and when you can't
You are bringing up great points about the hurricanes. Definitely something to consider. So far, I'm still leaning towards Weston from what I hear (not actually seeing it). If I need more excitement, I can just drive to Fort Lauderdale on weekends.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your input! I will respond to your DM too.
Seems like babysitting prices are comparible to Brooklyn, and so as the school. Right now, I'm paying $600 months for 5 full days in school, I think it's a cheaper side too.

One thing I love so far about Weston is how close it is to everything. I mean an hour to Miami? Can't beat that! We now commute one hour on the train to the new york city daily. 45 minutes to Fort Lauderdale or Naples? I mean 1 hour commute is nothing for us. We are soooo used to it.
Downtown Fort Lauderdale is 20-30 minutes from Weston, without traffic. FTL airport is even closer. Someone on the Weston forum posted how he goes to pick someone up at the airport - when the plane [that his visitors are arriving on] makes a turn over Weston, he gets in the car and goes to the airport. 15 minutes later he picks them up.

Naples - 1 hour. Many alligators.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Downtown Fort Lauderdale is 20-30 minutes from Weston, without traffic. FTL airport is even closer. Someone on the Weston forum posted how he goes to pick someone up at the airport - when the plane [that his visitors are arriving on] makes a turn over Weston, he gets in the car and goes to the airport. 15 minutes later he picks them up.

Naples - 1 hour. Many alligators.
LOL...great!

You mean literal "alligators" though?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You are bringing up great points about the hurricanes. Definitely something to consider. So far, I'm still leaning towards Weston from what I hear (not actually seeing it). If I need more excitement, I can just drive to Fort Lauderdale on weekends.

We moved to FL 9 years ago. We looked at a bunch of places from West Palm Beach/Lake Worth to Pembroke Pines. Some places had better home designs, some had better prices. Then one realtor said she HAD to show us Weston. As soon as we saw this manicured enclave, we HAD to move here.

Many other places were like this - you get off a highway, then go for miles on some dusty road until you reach the nice development.

Weston is instant on - get off the highway at one of the Weston exits, and you are surrounded by nice everything.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
LOL...great!

You mean literal "alligators" though?

Hey, they don't call it Alligator Alley for nothing.

If you drive from Weston to Naples on a cold, but sunny winter day, you will see them out on the banks of the canal that runs along the highway, one next to the other, closer than railroad ties. They get out of the cold water and lie in the warm sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area