Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 AM

117 posts, read 281,709 times

Advertisements

I may have a good opportunity to work in Miami on Brickell. I started doing research and alot of what I am looking for is pointing to Weston, except the obvious commute. I would like to have an average commute of an hour each way. I need to be at work 9:30 - 9:45am and leave work 6:30pm (leave my office, so prob on the road around 6:45)

I am married and have 3 children so safety and school district is very important to me. My budget would be 700-850k range.

Is this commute doable? I don't know Florida at all, but I don't mind paying for express options if there are any.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 01:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,207,159 times
Why are you commuting from west Broward? That is CRAZY and INSANE. Live in miami shores, coral gables, Miami Beach. There are nice places much closer to downtown within your budget.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Why are you commuting from west Broward? That is CRAZY and INSANE. Live in miami shores, coral gables, Miami Beach. There are nice places much closer to downtown within your budget.
But how is safety and schools in those areas?

Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM

These are very upscale areas with homes that can be in the millions to tens of millions especially on the water. Safety and schools are good. There are also many private school options if the public schools are a concern.

They are all very desirable places to live. The main issue is budget and affordability. You'll get much more house for your money in Weston but youll be hating your life every day with that commute.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
These are very upscale areas with homes that can be in the millions to tens of millions especially on the water. Safety and schools are good. There are also many private school options if the public schools are a concern.

They are all very desirable places to live. The main issue is budget and affordability. You'll get much more house for your money in Weston but youll be hating your life every day with that commute.
Thanks for your input

This may be difficult to answer, but a rough guesstimate what it would cost per kid for private school in miami?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Look up Miami country day school. It is in miami shores. Very good school. The cost varies by grade level. I think $17k for elementary and over $30k for high school.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,841,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
I may have a good opportunity to work in Miami on Brickell. I started doing research and alot of what I am looking for is pointing to Weston, except the obvious commute. I would like to have an average commute of an hour each way. I need to be at work 9:30 - 9:45am and leave work 6:30pm (leave my office, so prob on the road around 6:45)

I am married and have 3 children so safety and school district is very important to me. My budget would be 700-850k range.

Is this commute doable? I don't know Florida at all, but I don't mind paying for express options if there are any.

Cheers
Live in Brickell and send the kids to MAST or International Affairs?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Look up Miami country day school. It is in miami shores. Very good school. The cost varies by grade level. I think $17k for elementary and over $30k for high school.
yikes, with 3 kids that commute looks better.

have to weigh my options

Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,290,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post

Cheers
Almost any commute involving Miami and Brickell is not fun. But--leaving at 6:30 pm is fine--that is after the worst of rush hour. If you could leave your home at 8:45 or 9 am, you would avoid rush hour in the morning, but if you are in a non-reserved parking garage space--you'll be climbing to the top levels.

Personally, you could not pay me to commute to Brickell--it can get gridlocked pretty badly in season. What about Coral Gables or Brickell area in general--there are residential areas south of Brickell.

But, if you are looking for suburban lifestyles and schools, you will have a commute. I would try it before opting for Weston. I read of a man in Miami who decided to retire rather than deal with commuting--which really struck home as I was commuting from Miami to FTL at the time--the opposite of most commuters--but still a nightmare.

It's not just the drive time--it is the idiots on the road also commuting, that make for a rather stressful drive. If you like audible books, you might be fine.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Yeah, it's one thing if you are commuting an hour on a peaceful low traffic rural highway. That's not Miami. You are going to be experiencing the most insane level of road antics anywhere in the country and literally put your life on the line every day.

I would negotiate private school tuition in your salary. If they want you badly, they may give up a bump, especially if you are in finance or in demand.

Also, I know from friends the public schools on Miami Beach are pretty decent. North beach elementary is an A school. Nautilus and Miami Beach High are good as long as your kids are in the honors and college tracks. They have a Cambridge academy track, AP classes. The kids can do really really well and get into some great colleges if they apply themselves.

There's also Pinecrest in southern Miami dade that is also a very nice area. But then you are getting into a rougher commute again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area