Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,859,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
Wow that's crazy $13 for 1 way

I read they are planning on expanding them northward, but not sure how accurate that is...also read they might increase the fee even higher
They are expanding the express lanes northward.

Also the highest toll (up to $13 on a busy day) is for the stretch of i-95 between SR826 and the downtown Miami.

There are other stretches where they ding you 50 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagal View Post
Yes the commute is doable. I live in Pembroke Pines and drive to Brickell and Miami Beach 5 days a week to show properties. Schools are better in Broward.
I have done that from Weston on occasion.

But do you drive there and back 5 days a week during rush hour?

Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,487,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Any commute is "doable".. it's a matter of if it's a nightmare or not.

I can't imagine any realtor commuting Mon-Fri during rush hour when they have total control over their schedule.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:19 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,217,552 times
Schools aren't necessarily better in Broward. It's more the demographics are better in certain areas if you desire upper middle class suburbia where people speak english.

Trust me there are many crummy areas in Broward with terrible schools. It's just that in miami-dade you need to pick your spot and school carefully and the places with good schools tend to be very expensive.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:29 PM

117 posts, read 282,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I have done that from Weston on occasion.

I currently live in NY area, my commute in the AM to work is 2hrs and the PM is 1hr 25min (because I usually leave 6:30-7pm). I also do it for the school district.

When I travel to Miami, I am hoping Weston can average better time than that, especially using the express lanes if I have to (don't mind tolls). If it's worse than that, then I will look into southern miami-dade by Palmetto bay area. Pinecrest is really out of my budget the more I look at it.

Ruski, i have read alot of your posts and you seem to really know Weston well. Do you advise your clients to stay away from Weston when working downtown Miami?

Who knows, once I get down there I may pick an area not on my list but gotta start with some plan.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Are you driving 2 hours in NY or taking a train? Your Weston to Miami commute will be shorter but the stress level much higher if you are used to a train.

Now if you are driving the long island expressway into Manhattan every day. Weston to Miami is probably a breeze in comparison.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM

117 posts, read 282,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Are you driving 2 hours in NY or taking a train? Your Weston to Miami commute will be shorter but the stress level much higher if you are used to a train.

Now if you are driving the long island expressway into Manhattan every day. Weston to Miami is probably a breeze in comparison.
I drive that exact route 5 days a week

Old 04-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
I currently live in NY area, my commute in the AM to work is 2hrs and the PM is 1hr 25min (because I usually leave 6:30-7pm). I also do it for the school district.

When I travel to Miami, I am hoping Weston can average better time than that, especially using the express lanes if I have to (don't mind tolls). If it's worse than that, then I will look into southern miami-dade by Palmetto bay area. Pinecrest is really out of my budget the more I look at it.

Ruski, i have read alot of your posts and you seem to really know Weston well. Do you advise your clients to stay away from Weston when working downtown Miami?

Who knows, once I get down there I may pick an area not on my list but gotta start with some plan.

I never advise to stay away from Weston - it is the best place to live close enough to Miami, with excellent schools, and with home inventory not as old as, say, Cooper City

Parkland is just as good, and is a bit newer, but is a bit too far from Miami, IMO.

Although one of my clients moved from NY to Parkland last year, and was going to commute to Brickell. I showed them both Weston and Parkland.

And his boss did the same thing.

But when we talk about the South Florida commute, we talk about driving. That's a bit different from spending a good part of 2 hours sitting on the train, then walking, then riding the subway, like what most people do when they commute to NYC. You have to be prepared for 1+ hours of driving in a nutty traffic.

P.S. the company I work for has an office in Brickell, and I drive there a couple of times a year. One of my coworkers drives there from Sunrise (near Weston) every day. So it is doable. But not easy.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 PM

OK, if you are used to long island/Manhattan driving I think Weston is very doable for you. That's a 50 minute route in low traffic and 90 minutes in bad traffic. It's not for me but you will be used to much worse.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
OK, if you are used to long island/Manhattan driving I think Weston is very doable for you. That's a 50 minute route in low traffic and 90 minutes in bad traffic. It's not for me but you will be used to much worse.
If the OP drove LIE to Manhattan. Rough traffic. And you will be able to spot those LIE drivers in Miami traffic when they come here on vacation [and contribute to the nuttiness]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area