Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,281,333 times

Advertisements

For 6 years I drove from North Broward (close to Parkland) down to Miami for work. I leave at 6:15 am with 1 hour commute. I get out at 5:30 pm with 1 hour commute. On a dry, clear day, somehow some idiot will screw it up and the rest are no better by causing onlooker traffic. For every accident or even a drop of rain (especially raining season), it is like idiots forgot how to drive and that adds 1 or 2 more hours of commute. Sometimes i don't get home until 8 pm and I have to 2 hours before I have to get ready for bed and do this crap again.

I had seen cars spin feet away from my car, I had witnessed accidents, road rage, drivers going in the opposite lanes, running red lights and stop signs and just overall very rude. Some drivers will enter the express lane illegally and without warning and vice versa. If you have a flat or stuck on the express lane, it become very dangerous for you as no one will stop or slow down for your safety. A fair warning to you: there are incentives for some, especially in Miami, to cause accidents. In the same token, many drivers do not carry insurance so hit and run is common (Make sure you pick up uninsured motorist coverage as well as bodily injury liability coverage in your Florida auto insurance policy). I deal with these shady characters in my profession more often than I like to admit.

I have developed such anxiety from driving these roads to the point it was affecting my physical wellbeing. Fortunately our office has since moved closer to home and far away from Miami. While driving Broward is not perfect, I can rest easier knowing I won't likely get T-bone at a 4-way intersection. So there is some truth in the previous posts warning you about the commute.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:53 AM

836 posts, read 481,313 times
I do the commute from Broward to Miami daily...

Save your sanity and just don’t.

If you do end up doing the commute, invest in a high powered sports car. You’ll need the power when others try to bully you on the road. I have to say my overall commute improved when I upgraded from an economy subcompact car to a roadster.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:53 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,209,185 times
Just make sure you fully explore any and all options in miami Dade where there are excellent schools. You'll get more house for your money in Weston but the previous posters are not wrong. The drivers here are CRAY CRAY and you'll come to despise I95 in monsoon season where practically every afternoon there are severe thunderstorms and white out conditions. There are fatal wrecks all the time and people have anxiety for very good reason.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:41 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,844,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I do the commute from Broward to Miami daily...

Save your sanity and just don’t.

If you do end up doing the commute, invest in a high powered sports car. You’ll need the power when others try to bully you on the road. I have to say my overall commute improved when I upgraded from an economy subcompact car to a roadster.
Get a tank! LOL.

A Charger or a Challenger with a HEMI would do the job too, SRT even better Although then you will spend a lot of money on gas...

Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM

5,026 posts, read 7,469,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Get a tank!.
I rarely agree with Ruski but this is A+ advice

Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 4,155 times
It’s funny reading comments about the commute. I do this exact commute every day (actually a little longer because I’m going to coconut grove, which is further than brickell) Theyre right though, it sucks. I get up at 530 and leave my house by 630 to get to work for 8, if there’s an accident, I’m late. I leave work at 5 and get home between 630-7:00. Really takes a toll because I have no time for myself and driving down here is altogether just a stressful experience.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM

117 posts, read 281,785 times
As part of my research, I been collecting data via google maps for those interested (all business days). Not estimates, but actual time. I have also done 10 min before and after to verify.
So far I have 9 days collected from downtown brickell to mid parts of Parkland, Weston, Cooper City and Palmetto Bay

Leaving at 6:30PM time to arrival (paying tolls, maximizing time savings):

Parkland 63 min
Weston 57 min
Cooper City 51 min
Palmetto Bay 42 min

I am going to collect about 30 days to see where it plays out...I posted for those interested or in my boat.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,644,424 times
An HOUR each way commute? Insanity. You need to live closer to work. I can't say it better than this blogger, so I'll just link to it here.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011...-of-commuting/

Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,137,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
As part of my research, I been collecting data via google maps for those interested (all business days). Not estimates, but actual time. I have also done 10 min before and after to verify.
So far I have 9 days collected from downtown brickell to mid parts of Parkland, Weston, Cooper City and Palmetto Bay

Leaving at 6:30PM time to arrival (paying tolls, maximizing time savings):

Parkland 63 min
Weston 57 min
Cooper City 51 min
Palmetto Bay 42 min

I am going to collect about 30 days to see where it plays out...I posted for those interested or in my boat.
You have people making this commute that are telling you it is soul sucking, life destroying, miserable drive and you are still trying to justify it.

My husband left a very good job because the commute from downtown Fort Lauderdale to Coral Gables was horrific.

Just don't do it.

Spend one week driving it every day in rush hour traffic.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM

117 posts, read 281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You have people making this commute that are telling you it is soul sucking, life destroying, miserable drive and you are still trying to justify it.

My husband left a very good job because the commute from downtown Fort Lauderdale to Coral Gables was horrific.

Just don't do it.

Spend one week driving it every day in rush hour traffic.
I am tracking the time it takes to get to four potential neighborhoods...its data not justification.

BTW my average commute at 6:30 to my current home is 78 minutes...in probably the most congested highway in the east coast

I am hoping some others can benefit from my research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area